The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

My I.T. department at work. They've sent a number of emails out to ask all staff to refrain from using VPN unless it's absolutely necessary, in order to free up the network for people, which is fair enough. They've even upgraded security using multi-factor authentication to gain access to areas without using VPN that we previously had to use it to access.

A few weeks ago, my laptop developed an odd fault - it won't access the internet outside of VPN. No emails, I get error messages on my browsers, usual stuff, but when I try to connect the VPN, it connects fine and I have normal (albeit slower) access to the internet.

I rang the I.T. No-Help-desk who remoted into my laptop, checked some proxy settings were correct (they were) and then told me that it's an ongoing fault that they've known about for some time.
This fault comes and goes and no-one seems to know what the fix is. Speaking to colleagues elsewhere in the company and it seems to be affecting quite a few people. It's been ongoing for about a month now.

Of course the I.T. departments actions so far to fix it seem to revolve around a campaign of asking all staff to stay off VPN unless we need to use it...:facepalm:

My I.T. department at work. They've sent a number of emails out to ask all staff to refrain from using VPN unless it's absolutely necessary, in order to free up the network for people, which is fair enough. They've even upgraded security using multi-factor authentication to gain access to areas without using VPN that we previously had to use it to access.

A few weeks ago, my laptop developed an odd fault - it won't access the internet outside of VPN. No emails, I get error messages on my browsers, usual stuff, but when I try to connect the VPN, it connects fine and I have normal (albeit slower) access to the internet.

I rang the I.T. No-Help-desk who remoted into my laptop, checked some proxy settings were correct (they were) and then told me that it's an ongoing fault that they've known about for some time.
This fault comes and goes and no-one seems to know what the fix is. Speaking to colleagues elsewhere in the company and it seems to be affecting quite a few people. It's been ongoing for about a month now.

Of course the I.T. departments actions so far to fix it seem to revolve around a campaign of asking all staff to stay off VPN unless we need to use it...:facepalm:
Reminds me of those signs about that says:

"Facemasks MUST be worn, NO exceptions. Unless you're exempt."

Things like this are happening everywhere.
I had an odd one on Azure DevOps that lasted about four days. Fortunately it was an annoyance so that slowed me down on one task I could work.

Our work laptops are locked down completely if working from home and not on the VPN. Proxy settings are set by central and access is restricted. So if the VPN goes down, we can't access any work related stuff.

Our work laptops are locked down completely if working from home and not on the VPN. Proxy settings are set by central and access is restricted. So if the VPN goes down, we can't access any work related stuff.
That's the best way to be! We can now unfortunately access emails and Teams without VPN. Just not the network. Ah well.

I have a work laptop, barely gets turned on. Most things can be accessed with any PC and for the client, i built a VM and use a VPN. So i only need one PC to access everything.

Customers in the Post Office who decide that it's perfectly ok to buy brown paper and sellotape, pay for it and then wrap up their parcels at the counter with their new purchase and then send them.

booking time off at my work is a total p*sstake... instead of management taking control, we have to contact a colleague and ask if they will cover... a colleague asked me last week, and i said yeah, no issue...

so, I'm looking at some time off in the summer etc, ask one colleague - ooh...not sure yet, i don;t know what I'm upto etc...then ask another colleague (the one who asked me!) and it's the same and he's not sure if he can get cover to help him WTF?!? 3rd time lucky tho (with another colleague)...

but surely it should be first come first served as it's not that big a team...

booking time off at my work is a total p*sstake... instead of management taking control, we have to contact a colleague and ask if they will cover... a colleague asked me last week, and i said yeah, no issue...

so, I'm looking at some time off in the summer etc, ask one colleague - ooh...not sure yet, i don;t know what I'm upto etc...then ask another colleague (the one who asked me!) and it's the same and he's not sure if he can get cover to help him WTF?!? 3rd time lucky tho (with another colleague)...

We have a points system, where each week is given a ‘value’. Most popular weeks get 1 point, the least popular weeks get 5.

We bid for leave twice a year in a month long window (once for summer, and once for winter) about 6 months in advance.

The person with the highest points gets first dibs, and the system works its way down the list until everyone’s leave is awarded. (A person’s leave points last for 8 seasons on a rolling basis).

if you don’t get any of your choices, you just get assigned what’s left.

It‘s a fair system, as seniority doesn’t come into it. When someone joins the company they’re given the average leave points to start them off.

Occasionally you’ll hear someone complain that they can’t get the leave they wanted - but that just means they’ve hoovered up prime weeks in recent years past.

At the moment though, between no flying and furlough, I don’t think many people care too much about having even more time at home!

We have a points system, where each week is given a ‘value’. Most popular weeks get 1 point, the least popular weeks get 5.

We bid for leave twice a year in a month long window (once for summer, and once for winter) about 6 months in advance.

The person with the highest points gets first dibs, and the system works its way down the list until everyone’s leave is awarded. (A person’s leave points last for 8 seasons on a rolling basis).

if you don’t get any of your choices, you just get assigned what’s left.

It‘s a fair system, as seniority doesn’t come into it. When someone joins the company they’re given the average leave points to start them off.

Occasionally you’ll hear someone complain that they can’t get the leave they wanted - but that just means they’ve hoovered up prime weeks in recent years past.

At the moment though, between no flying and furlough, I don’t think many people care too much about having even more time at home!

yep, seems a decent system... and because our old manager changed job titles, our inept team lead now doesn't want to make any decisions but picks and chooses when she likes.... and handed the responsibility of booking holidays over to us... it's a free for all... :(

Really?

Which are suing Qualcomm because they think the chip manufacturer charged too much for their products in our smartphones!

We didn’t have to buy our smartphones, we had a choice. While we might complain that the price for this ‘tech’ is too high, it‘s not like we have to have the latest and greatest stuff, we don’t have to buy it!

Porsche make expensive cars, and people have a choice, whether to buy one or not - and indeed, some people simply can’t afford it. It’s the same with smartphones - there are cheaper options out there if you can’t or won’t pay the inflated prices of the really shiny stuff.

I‘m all for bringing it to the attention of the masses that a company is gouging their prices - but at the end of the day, market forces will determine what they can charge or not. Do I like the idea of Qualcomm charging an excessive amount for their chips? No, of course not; but do I think it merits wasting the courts time with a frivolous case? Again, No!

Surely the "victims" here are Apple and Samsung? They are the ones that paid for the expensive chips. Are they going to voluntarily pass the money on to their customers or will Which have to start on them next?

The company the girlfriend works for has a first come first serve system. Holiday entitlement is rubbish anyway when a person works for a company.
I'm trying to encourage her to set up a business when she moves to our new house, you have no freedom when tied to a company. We can both go away regularly if she goes the business route.

Surely the "victims" here are Apple and Samsung? They are the ones that paid for the expensive chips. Are they going to voluntarily pass the money on to their customers or will Which have to start on them next?
Pretty certain hardware manufacturers simply pass through most costs ensuring they make a specific margin.

If the part goes up £1, consumer pays £1.20 more etc.

A complete less than two day Test match with under 400 runs total

I was predicting "test matches" as the next response, followed by "cricket" - but you cut out the middle man.

Almost getting hit by a cyclist again today! 3 chavs on bikes riding at speed through the middle of a crossing at a junction, so I go to move over and nope, he's going that way! So I have to quickly move over, then his chav mum and dad follow close by giving me dirty looks...

Didn't bother saying anything at this point as I can't be dealing with 3 chavs at once!

That's been a problem round here this week, suddenly everyones a cyclist and thinks they can go where they want.
The other issue here is that my housing estate is the largest in the area and in one corner of it there's a footpath that connects it up to the town centre. It's only about 100 metres, but it's quite narrow with high fences both sides. There's a group of teenagers who think it's acceptable to ride down this footpath on their mopeds. That's bad enough anyway, but they also like to ride two abreast so they completely block the footpath. Anyone that meets them on that path has to either stop and plaster themselves to the fence or turn round and walk back because these idiots won't stop for anything.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom