The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

Oh yeah, teaching is very much an industry of acronyms. My wife is also a nurse and the confusing part is when we use the same acronyms but for different things :facepalm:

I think because they want to find someone they like and then pay them current salary + 10%, within some range.

That was generally the case pre-Covid but it's an employers market now and based on the experiences of a couple of former colleagues, they've been offered less than the role they just left.
One of the examples was a colleague who had been thinking of leaving at the beginning of the year and was offered a job with the salary and conditions discussed and agreed, only for it all to be shelved at lockdown. He was then made redundant and contacted the other company and the job is still available, but £10k less per annum and overall conditions reduced from what was previously offered.

I don't envy anyone looking for work at the moment.

That was generally the case pre-Covid but it's an employers market now and based on the experiences of a couple of former colleagues, they've been offered less than the role they just left.
One of the examples was a colleague who had been thinking of leaving at the beginning of the year and was offered a job with the salary and conditions discussed and agreed, only for it all to be shelved at lockdown. He was then made redundant and contacted the other company and the job is still available, but £10k less per annum and overall conditions reduced from what was previously offered.

I don't envy anyone looking for work at the moment.

I would say if you are currently out of work they it may well not have applied before Covid either. If the company is trying to 'poach' you it is a different ballgame than if you are sitting at home with zero income.

To be fair, if you just scroll straight to the bottom there is usually a handy recipe card - where you have to spend ten minutes decoding US food terms and measurements.
"Alexa, what is half a cup in grams" - this happens regularly as I usually can't be arsed to look for an alternative recipe.

People that go shopping just before an appt and moaning that they will be late.

A little suggestion? Go after or well before the appt!

We should not be blamed on the people’s stupidity
What can I can. People are selfish and self entitled.

new approach, arrive on time or appointment gets cancelled and given to someone else

One thing that annoyed me when I was job hunting was I didn’t get an acknowledgement about some interviews. One of them I drove 90 mile round trip to be interviewed and assessed at company’s head office - job was 6 miles at the time where I was living. Didn’t get a thank you for attending the interview. One of my friends went to an interview and a couple of weeks later, she got a call saying that they are looking forward to seeing her in her role on Monday. She never got the letter and so didn’t hand in her notice in at job.

The new employer let her start two weeks later. Her previous employer said she had holiday owing to her so left a week later

As long as you are getting paid.

I regularly have to log into customers to fix issues and mostly they have dedicated servers so I can log in without having to contact them. There are some however that use the server and as we deal with shop environments they have to be contacted before logging into them.

In this particular instance I knew them to be what's technically known as 'thick users' ;) so I phoned up and asked if it was OK for me to log in to fix their issue. I explain in great detail that I would take charge of her screen so please close anything on there that I shouldn't be seeing and also informed her it would be at most 10 minutes and she wouldn't be able to use the screen whilst I was logged in. Whilst still on the phone to her I logged in and explained that I would call her back when I'd finished.

I then started the fix and after less than a minute she started solitaire up and started playing that. I tried to open notepad to type a message to her but she kept closing it and going back to her game. I had to phone her up again and ask her not to do anything, not even games!
:facepalm:

Do you read The Register?
If not you should.

Getting asked to attend a meeting to discuss the most boring thing in the world; 'folder structure of a SharePoint site' :boring::boring::boring:

I've politely declined as I honestly can't think of anything I'd rather do less. Well nothing that doesn't involve physical pain anyway. Bore off geeks.

No, is it worth a viewing then?
If you work in IT it has some interesting stuff including twice a week stories from the trenches of IT.

Went to the taxi rank at the train station and the first seven taxis couldn't process card payments.

I think the taxi drivers pay the processing fees instead of the taxi firm, but is it worth it to lose out on passengers who don't carry cash? (My fare was £25.)

Big thumbs up to Wickes who said they had 8 bottles of brush cleaner in stock, only to arrive there after a 30 minute traffic jam to find the shelf empty.

However they were very helpful when I queried it, by also checking the shelf was empty.

Thanks for that.

All right, I appreciate that they could be different groups of students but this is what it looks like.

University Students

”we’re young, we’re immune, coronavirus is fake anyway, woo hoo, freshers week, let’s party”

Coronavirus reality hits

”woe is us, why did they send us here, it’s not fair”

Cheers,

Nigel

University Students

”So, we’re young like, So, we’re like immune, So, coronavirus is fake anyway like, So,woo hoo, So, freshers week, So, let’s party like”

Coronavirus reality hits

”So, woe is us like, So, Like why did they send us here, So, it’s like not fair”
FTFY

Back when I was a bench technician (that's a technician that sits at a bench, not a technician that designs benches), there was a popular phrase/acronym - PICNIC- Problem In Chair Not In Computer.

Nothing changes.... Oh have you turned it off and back on again?:thumbsup:

Back when I was a bench technician (that's a technician that sits at a bench, not a technician that designs benches), there was a popular phrase/acronym - PICNIC- Problem In Chair Not In Computer.

Nothing changes.... Oh have you turned it off and back on again?:thumbsup:

We have the similar PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

There are a number of these:
PEBCAK - Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard
Error40 - The average distance from the user to the monitor
ID10T error - guess!

There will be more I don't know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom