The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

Went out of my way to collect my daughter's boyfriend [just typing that makes me frown :laugh:]. Daughter says to me 'Can you slow down a bit. Tarquin* doesn't like driving this fast'.

At no point was I speeding, I was well inside the speed limit (as always when driving a car).

I eased off slightly to appease the daughter, but thought to myself 'just because mummy drives a Hyundai I10 and is a fully paid-up member of the 40mph club, doesn't mean I shouldn't drive at the speed limit'.

I reflected on it later in the day, and realised that I was being over sensitive - my wife pointed out that I don't like being critiqued on my driving. Wise old owl that she is :laugh:

*Other ridiculous boyfriend names are available

Tarquin :laugh:

Anyone leaving a roundabout with their right-hand indicator flashing should be tasered in the left bum-cheek to remind them which indicator they should have on when leaving a roundabout.

Especially when leaving at the 2nd (of 4) exits :mad:

I indicate left on to my exit for all roundabouts as I'm exiting, even straight on, because these days you have to compensate for the crap drivers who can't do roundabouts at all.

Right, well, you have no excuse. Driving really is poor these days. Not because of test standards. Because people are lazy ar**holes.

One of my pet hates is when the driver in front uses right and left indicators when going straight (usually 2nd exit) on at a tiny roundabout.

Although everything they did was in accordance with the highway code I just find it unnecessary and confusing at small and mini roundabouts.

It‘s the timescales I think, they will be sat there waiting his turn with his right indicator flashing so I imagine they is going to turn right. As soon as it is their turn they move off and because the roundabout is so small they switch to the left indicator almost immediately. I know it is correct as per the code but every time I encounter it feels like they changed their mind where to ho.

In these situations, my preference is don’t indicate when entering and left indicate to take the ’straight ahead’ exit.

Stress this is for small roundabouts where the island is tiny or painted on and you can see the exit straight ahead. On big roundabouts where there is some distance to travel and you can’t see the exit ahead because of the island I have no problem.

Cheers,

Nigel

These fudgeing adverts on AVF!

Not only are they resource hogging (everytime I open AVF my computer's fans speed up with the extra drain they put on the computer) - but AVAST has just kicked in blocking a connection to one of the advert hosts as it's infected with some malicious software!

I may well go back to using an ad blocker and accept a more limited 'membership'.

One of my pet hates is when the driver in front uses right and left indicators when going straight (usually 2nd exit) on at a tiny roundabout.

Although everything they did was in accordance with the highway code I just find it unnecessary and confusing at small and mini roundabouts.

It‘s the timescales I think, they will be sat there waiting his turn with his right indicator flashing so I imagine they is going to turn right. As soon as it is their turn they move off and because the roundabout is so small they switch to the left indicator almost immediately. I know it is correct as per the code but every time I encounter it feels like they changed their mind where to ho.

In these situations, my preference is don’t indicate when entering and left indicate to take the ’straight ahead’ exit.

Stress this is for small roundabouts where the island is tiny or painted on and you can see the exit straight ahead. On big roundabouts where there is some distance to travel and you can’t see the exit ahead because of the island I have no problem.

Cheers,

Nigel

My instructor told me not to indicate at mini roundabouts unless I'm turning left or going right as there isn't enough time and it will just cause confusion to the cars around me.

...and then stop at the end of the slip road.
Though to be pedantic, the slip joining the motorway isn't a right of way so to speak - if there's traffic, you should stop and wait for a gap not force your way in.

But yes, common sense prevails - make a judgement and try and join at the speed of the existing traffic. Failed by many.

Though to be pedantic, the slip joining the motorway isn't a right of way so to speak - if there's traffic, you should stop and wait for a gap not force your way in.

But yes, common sense prevails - make a judgement and try and join at the speed of the existing traffic. Failed by many.
We've a few notoriously short slip roads for joining the A12 around here where it's not always possible to find a gap. But stop at the start of the the slip so you at least have a chance of accelerating into one, rather than needing to see the horizon before joining.

Went out of my way to collect my daughter's boyfriend [just typing that makes me frown :laugh:]. Daughter says to me 'Can you slow down a bit. Tarquin* doesn't like driving this fast'.

At no point was I speeding, I was well inside the speed limit (as always when driving a car).

I eased off slightly to appease the daughter, but thought to myself 'just because mummy drives a Hyundai I10 and is a fully paid-up member of the 40mph club, doesn't mean I shouldn't drive at the speed limit'.

I reflected on it later in the day, and realised that I was being over sensitive - my wife pointed out that I don't like being critiqued on my driving. Wise old owl that she is :laugh:

*Other ridiculous boyfriend names are available
Is this the same Tarquin that has a job, a degree and likes football?

Reißverschlussverfahren is the way to go. The Germans do everything so much better compared to the nearly 3rd world condition we now live in, in the UK. Our roads and other infrastructure are in an appalling state.

Group of four lycra clad cyclists. One pulled out of an offside side road on me. Did the other three wait? Did they fudge. Silly little tossers thought "oh no don't leave us behind" and pulled out with very little space to spare.

My instructor told me not to indicate at mini roundabouts unless I'm turning left or going right as there isn't enough time and it will just cause confusion to the cars around me.
I was taught and teach if the advance warning sign shows the 2nd exit as straight ahead from the road you're on then you don't need to signal until you reach the point of no return at the 1st exit, then you indicate left.

This practice has stood me in good stead through my original Advanced test and subsequent 3 yearly retests, my Diploma Advanced Test and again subsequent retests since 1997.

I was taught and teach if the advance warning sign shows the 2nd exit as straight ahead from the road you're on then you don't need to signal until you reach the point of no return at the 1st exit, then you indicate left.

This practice has stood me in good stead through my original Advanced test and subsequent 3 yearly retests, my Diploma Advanced Test and again subsequent retests since 1997.

According to the highway code I think it is okay to do that. But it is also okay to indicate right and then left.

So what I‘m saying is that they aren’t doing anything wring but it can be confusing.

Cheers,

Nigel

Correct, but that is why there is a slip road, so you gain the correct speed to seamlessly join the moving traffic.

Correct, but that is why there is a slip road, so you gain the correct speed to seamlessly join the moving traffic.
Doesn't mean people don't get it wrong, given it's not on the test!! 😂

These fudgeing adverts on AVF!

Not only are they resource hogging (everytime I open AVF my computer's fans speed up with the extra drain they put on the computer) - but AVAST has just kicked in blocking a connection to one of the advert hosts as it's infected with some malicious software!

I may well go back to using an ad blocker and accept a more limited 'membership'.

Once over 50% of my screen was taken by ads, they got blocked.

Doesn't mean people don't get it wrong, given it's not on the test!! 😂

Bearing in mind he has a 3.5l BMW it may be easier in that than if someone owns an underpowered hatchback.

it's nice to have all these driving tips again... as I've only been in my car a few times since March... :)

Tracking a parcel that says “ready for delivery” at 6:30 in the morning, waiting for it to progress to “out for delivery” only for it to eventually sink in that Parcelforce won’t deliver on a Saturday.

I feel your pain...

Bearing in mind he has a 3.5l BMW it may be easier in that than if someone owns an underpowered hatchback.

Most slip roads are downhill, so no excuse. But when you see cars being out dragged by an 18 wheeler........

it's nice to have all these driving tips again... as I've only been in my car a few times since March... :)

Every day is a learning day. Once you stop learning, you may as well be dead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom