The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

5e34477d07a72863b0943cb208dd283d.png

on a separate note...looks like my local council are going to be going down the "charging" route for garden waste collections. Now I appreciate many local councils are struggling with funds in general (although a lot of them are using COVID as a big reason??? - and there was me thinking them investing in Iceland a few years back was a bigger reason...anyway I digress)

The local page on the council website states it's partly being done to "reduce musculoskeletal injuries suffered by staff collecting the waste" .....(my own garden waste collection normally consists of some branches for bushes and similar....and normally weighs less than our black bags)...

But then when you look at the document regarding the meeting about this....you notice a section where they say they could stop all garden waste collection altogether but "It will also not provide any additional income opportunity and there may be increased revenue costs required to manage any increase in fly-tipped waste"

Im sure they have already made their minds up either way and are just going through the motions to make it sound like there was ever going to be another option.....it seems Council tax is covering less and less these days even though it is slowly going up for the majority of people
Just recently started paying for garden waste in Rotherham suppose it saves increasing everyone's council tax (although they'll just add it on to something else) think i pay £40 a year ,beats donning my dark clothes and balaclava and filling all the neighbours garden waste bins up the night before they're taken away ...

My council tax is over £2000 and I have to pay for garden collection on top of that. And no, I don’t live in a mansion, a four bedroom detached but at the small end and squeezed into a small plot of land.

So if your council charges extra for a garden waste bin, is it optional? Or as I suspect, everyone has to pay wether they use it or not?

It is optional from my council. I think if it wasn’t they would have to declare it as part of the council tax, and then they would have broken the increase caps.

Cheers,

Nigel

Our council are to start charging £40 a year for garden waste collection. I will be paying the charge as I fill the bin regularly with shrub cuttings etc.,

Luckily I have a large enough garden to put grass and hedge trimmings and other mundungas down to compost. :)

Ooh argh :)

Microsoft Office 365 applications ignoring Windows' default browser setting. I've got Chrome set as my default browser, but in a number of places within the likes of Outlook, a 'link' to an external resource, like an email signature template, gets opened in Edge. Grrr.. Hate Edge.

Microsoft Office 365 applications ignoring Windows' default browser setting. I've got Chrome set as my default browser, but in a number of places within the likes of Outlook, a 'link' to an external resource, like an email signature template, gets opened in Edge. Grrr.. Hate Edge.

Similar to this, I love the fact that the most searched term in Bing is 'Google' :laugh:

Similar to this, I love the fact that the most searched term in Bing is 'Google' :laugh:

#3 according to this

#KeywordSearch Volume
1facebook7,740,000
2youtube6,830,000
3google4,800,000
4gmail3,600,000
5bing homepage quiz3,310,000
6amazon2,830,000
7bing2,750,000
8news for you2,560,000
9yahoo2,240,000
10ebay2,050,000

#3 according to this

#KeywordSearch Volume
1facebook7,740,000
2youtube6,830,000
3google4,800,000
4gmail3,600,000
5bing homepage quiz3,310,000
6amazon2,830,000
7bing2,750,000
8news for you2,560,000
9yahoo2,240,000
10ebay2,050,000

Naturally conflicting information :laugh: Here

Alas

Another GDPR moan.

You visit a website and it has the usual ‘just accept everything‘ button and either a button or a link to customise your choice.

So you hit the link which takes you to a page which sure enough has switches to turn each category on or off. Great, so you make your selections but then realise there is no save settings button or link.

Perhaps that it done automatically so you try going back to the first page, both directly and using the back button but that just takes you back to the ’accept everything or modify dialog’.

Cheers,

Nigel

@nheather - as I understand it those options should be off, they are supposed to be opt in.
Mind you not all countries do this.

@nheather - as I understand it those options should be off, they are supposed to be opt in.
Mind you not all countries do this.

Agreed, many companies abide by this, but many don’t.

Some of these come as no surprise but also includes companies who you would expect to do better, like John Lewis.

Cheers,

Nigel

John Lewis have been outsourcing their IT for quite a while, recently changed to Wipro.

Naturally conflicting information :laugh: Here

Alas

Also here

I don’t think there is a conflict, just a difference in scope. This article starts with the top searches in the US which has ‘Google’ in third place. But scroll down and it shows the top searches in the World which has ‘Google’ in first place.

Cheers,

Nigel

A little niggle :)

I have a female cousin who is a planet and animal lover, she constantly posts about the poor animals, the poor elephants, animal hunting, the poor planet, global warming again and again and again.

Yet she constantly keep flying on holiday be it long weekends, or your more typical 1 or 2 weeks ago, and posts up many photo's of the elephants, and all that.

I so want to say to her.... Well, if YOU stopped flying all over the place, then YOU might stop adding to all the pollution, I mean non of the rest of the 'extended family' are hurting the climate as much as you.
And I could throw in, a "well rather than spend £3000 on the holiday to see the elephants, uou actually donate the £3000 to the elephant sanctuary and stay at home"

Of course I don't :)

It just blows my mind she cannot connect these two opposing things in her head.

Today it's their wedding anniversary, and some upset about how, at this time they'd normally be abroad somewhere to celebrate this time.
So, I could not help myself this morning, and wished them all the best of course, but had to also add in, not to feel sad, but to feel happy as the planet and wildlife will be smiling at you both, as the air will keep cleaner, skies clearer, animals happier and how positive being at home with loving family will be instead.

I don't suppose the penny will drop though..... ;)

So, I could not help myself this morning, and wished them all the best of course, but had to also add in, not to feel sad, but to feel happy as the planet and wildlife will be smiling at you both, as the air will keep cleaner, skies clearer, animals happier and how positive being at home with loving family will be instead.

I don't suppose the penny will drop though..... ;)

:D

QuZM9Ye.gif

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom