The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

Netflix streams perfectly.

Catchup apps (All4, iPlayer, ITVHub) all buffer and stutter abysmally. It's bad enough having to sit through adverts, it's worse to sit there for two minutes just waiting for the adverts to start. And then the next advert has to buffer.

It's making me want to go back to Sky.

Catchup apps (All4, iPlayer, ITVHub) all buffer and stutter abysmally. It's bad enough having to sit through adverts, it's worse to sit there for two minutes just waiting for the adverts to start. And then the next advert has to buffer.

Even more annoying is that only iPlayer does HD. All the others are still stuck in 1995 with SD only.

Assuming every dishwasher has a 30 min quick cycle, that means a warehouse has to unpack (5mins) plumb (5mins) and test (30mins) and reverse unplumb and repack every dishwasher. Just under an hour extra work.

Maybe my irrational annoyance is unreasonable expectations of the wrong people!

If they were smart they would have a 20 second 'smoke-test' feature which let them ensure water could come in and go out without leaking, spinners spin, heating works etc - no need to wait for the consumer cycles.

..so our old dishwasher packed up last week - ok, no problem in itself as my wife has cover to repair/replace kitchen white goods.

We ring up and arrange a new replacement, which arrived yesterday.

Fekking thing is no more than a heavy weight door stop - IT IS FAULTY AND DOES NOT WORK (gives and error of 'H' on the display after every single wash cycle is started - wash cycle starts but then stops after 10 seconds (and yes we tried resetting it with various button presses, blah blah blah) :mad::mad::mad:.

WHY DON'T THEY TEST THESE BLIMMIN APPLIANCES IN THE WAREHOUSE BEFORE THEY SHIP THEM OUT.........:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

Now my wife has to spend the day ringing them up to complain that the brand new appliance they delivered is buggered.

:mad:

Rant over.........
...its gone from bad to worse. :mad:

Hotpoint engineer came out yesterday and confirmed that in fact, the dishwasher is 100% working fine and the reason for our so called 'fault' is due to the low water pressure coming out the mains pipe supplying the dishwasher.:facepalm:

Apparently, because new appliance are evolving now a days, they are more sensitive to things like this (hence why our old dishwasher worked fine) and are programed to cut off if the water supply is not sufficient.

I now have NO idea on what the next course of action should be......o_O:(

...guess THE HELL WHAT? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So - after all of the above, my wife called a handy man (ooerrr...!) we know, who came round to have a look (he's a plumber).

Pulled out the dishwasher to check everything, and ONE EFFING guess what he saw........

:mad::rolleyes:
You got it in one - not one but TWO sodding kinked hoses (the waste hose AND the inlet water hose), which supposedly the Hotpoint guy yesterday, checked and confirmed no kinks.....

Why the F@*% don't these guys do their jobs properly.....????!

The handy man today pulled the whole unit out and could see exactly where the hoses have been kinked. He's rectified this, re-inserted the unit back in, and now its working as it should.

"LOW FUDGING WATER PRESSURE MY BLINKING @R$£"............:rolleyes::facepalm:

One Hotpoint complaint email coming up.......

...guess THE HELL WHAT? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So - after all of the above, my wife called a handy man (ooerrr...!) we know, who came round to have a look (he's a plumber).

Pulled out the dishwasher to check everything, and ONE EFFING guess what he saw........

:mad::rolleyes:
You got it in one - not one but TWO sodding kinked hoses (the waste hose AND the inlet water hose), which supposedly the Hotpoint guy yesterday, checked and confirmed no kinks.....

Why the F@*% don't these guys do their jobs properly.....????!

The handy man today pulled the whole unit out and could see exactly where the hoses have been kinked. He's rectified this, re-inserted the unit back in, and now its working as it should.

"LOW FUDGING WATER PRESSURE MY BLINKING @R$£"............:rolleyes::facepalm:

One Hotpoint complaint email coming up.......
You'd have thought the dishwasher would have been tested before it was pushed back, to also check the connections didn't leak.

If they were smart they would have a 20 second 'smoke-test' feature which let them ensure water could come in and go out without leaking, spinners spin, heating works etc - no need to wait for the consumer cycles.
And how long does it take to dry...

Except that wouldn’t explain the original fault :)

This is what happened, exactly....

1. Original dishwasher conked out due to age. Replacement ordered,
2. Replacement arrived and installed. Initially cycled to test whilst installer was present - test cycle worked so assumed all ok.
3. A few days later, we went to use the machine but it gave error of 'H' on display (further investigation shows this error is caused by not enough water to machine).
4. Called technician who arrived yesterday, seemingly 'checked' over the machine, pulled it half way out and saw no kinks. Looked and 'checked' the pipes and diagnosed 'low water pressure'.
5. Handy man arrived today, pulled machine all the way out and saw evidence of 2 hose kinks - rectified and re-installed and tested and now all working.

:smashin:

I use an Amazon Firestick for both Amazon Prime and Netflix. Netflix is smooth and fast, Amazon is very slow. You'd have thought they would at least be the best app on their own hardware.

Tax Issues - Just had a letter through from HMRC mentioning I may owe High Income Child Benefit Charge.

Reading the letter I agree but prior to seeing this letter I had never heard of it and had no notification through regarding it though its apparently been around since 2012.

So now I may owe god knows how much in back dated charges and having just completed a house extension have not a lot of cash.

Would never avoid tax on purpose so this is a real kick in the teeth, could run to thousands and god knows how will pay it back.

Little black flies! :mad:

More specifically the little black flies that are inexplicably attracted to my white car when washing it. I've had two other white cars in the past and don't remember any strange fly attraction problem. I can only logically surmise that they are seeking some kind of revenge for the mass murder of their brethren I carried out while giving the local B roads a royal thrashing the other day. :cool:

Tax Issues - Just had a letter through from HMRC mentioning I may owe High Income Child Benefit Charge.

Reading the letter I agree but prior to seeing this letter I had never heard of it and had no notification through regarding it though its apparently been around since 2012.

So now I may owe god knows how much in back dated charges and having just completed a house extension have not a lot of cash.

Would never avoid tax on purpose so this is a real kick in the teeth, could run to thousands and god knows how will pay it back.
What are you being charged for? Claiming some sort of tax credit when earning too much?

What are you being charged for? Claiming some sort of tax credit when earning too much?

Yep, apparently rule came in a while ago that you couldn't claim full childcare allowance if you earn over a certain amount.

Sheet. How did they work out you’d been claiming more than you’re allowed?
It's HMRC. I'll give you one guess! 😂

We never bothered to claim child benefit in the end as it wasn't worth it for us, but can see how people get caught out.

It has a decreasing sliding scale between £50k and £60k gradually reducing to zero and if you claim it when earning in this band having previously not been on the sliding scale, they'll come after you.

That said, they usually let you come to an arrangement or take it in your personal tax code.

Offset it against a future tax year.

I hope they come to an arrangement as was honest mistake but pretty concerned at the moment

I hope they come to an arrangement as was honest mistake but pretty concerned at the moment

Holy Moly - this?

1570744815261.png

Is that what people get nowadays?

Had a couple of letters from a Debt Collection agency.

No idea what it's for. Asked them by registered letter and phone call twice to prove the debt. No response. On the phone all they wanted was information I refused to give.

Guy doorstepped me today from the collection agency. I ask him to prove the debt or "go away*"
He starts waffling, you know what it's about etc.

"Prove it or go away*"

He asks to come in so we can discuss it.

"Go away*"

He makes a phone call

"It's regarding an outstanding mortage debt you have"

I have no outstanding mortgage debt, my ex did but it's not mine, I lived there and paid bills but it was her house and her mortgage.

"We'll take court action to recover it and you'll get a CCJ"

Again I tell him to "Go away*"
Before that I explain to him further it's

A/ Not my debt and he can't pursue me for it.
B/ Him harassing me without being able to prove the debt is illegal and if I receive any further communication or am called upon again without them proving the debt is mine and in my name I'll take legal action against them.
C/ The debt is over 20 years old and outside the statute of limitations on debt recovery and he can't take me or anyone else to court over it and he can "Go away himself*"

Back on the phone. I shut the door. He chaps it 5 minutes later to tell me the account is settled.
He doesn't apologise.

Scumbags.

*-Other words may have been used.

Last edited:
I had a very similar experience a couple of decades ago, I did take legal action against them because they ignored the rules and tried to bully me.

Last edited:
I had a very similar experience a couple of decades ago, I did take legal action against them because they ignored the rules and tried to bully me.
1570777936184.jpg

They picked the wrong one to bully :thumbsup:

I had a situation a month or so back, I'd been recieving letters from a debt collection agency for the previous owner (googled the address printed on the envelope) I sent them all back with "no longer at address" printed on the envelope. Few weeks later, an agent from the agency came to the door at 7:15 one Monday morning! He asked for the guy who lived here previously to which I replied "he no longer lives here" He then asked me to proove my identity by driving licence or passport to which he was told to fudge off!

He then commented that in his experience, I was no doubt the correct person that he was searching for and how do I plan to repay £687 pounds in monies owed due to defaulted HPI agreements .

I laughed and said "so let me get this right, the previous owner owes £687 to your organisation and you are here now revealing the guys financial details in a clear breach of the General Data Protection Regulation"

He looked annoyed and said again "in my determination, you are the person that I am searching for" I pointed out the CCTV and told him that he would be reported to both the Financial Ombudsman and I would report it as a breach of GPDR, he then went on his way without a word.

I was more than happy to ruin his day :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom