The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

jjwales

Standard Member
OH watching some rubbish on BBC, food unwrapped and they seem to send people halfway around the world to do a five minute piece on food. Thailand for bananas and India for Turmeric etc.

Seems like a good gig for the presenters, wonder how long they get to stay there to record a 5 minutes of TV.
Why do you call it "rubbish"? Sounds quite educational. And the presenters are there to work, don't suppose they get much spare time to enjoy themselves outside of making the programme.

Laureline

Why do you call it "rubbish"? Sounds quite educational. And the presenters are there to work, don't suppose they get much spare time to enjoy themselves outside of making the programme.

Pre-Covid I'd do a lot of traveling for work and people would always say how lucky I was to go to all these great places across the world. But they don't realize that a lot of the lifestyle is endless Airport Departure Lounges and being shuttled off to nondescript hotels and meeting rooms.

Yes, you get some time off in the evenings but even then it's business over dinner and then it's not long before you're back into another taxi and yet another departure lounge.

But I'd be lying to say there isn't a frisson of anticipation to see my first trip in over a year appear on my calendar for next month. Even though it will be just another meeting room in another country :)

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Well the 'Travellers' have moved on now all in a convoy jumping red lights and now onto the field by the local school leaving this behind.

FB_IMG_1620148617846.jpg
FB_IMG_1620148609036.jpg

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Apparently the local councilor is hoping to file an eviction notice in the morning with the hope they will be moved on by the weekend. Meanwhile they are on land by a primary school that the children use.

Last edited:

Laureline

The place I work for has purchased Keurig Pod machines for every Break Room and filled them with about 10 different blends of coffee but only one selection for Tea and it's Green Tea 🤢

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Pre-Covid I'd do a lot of traveling for work and people would always say how lucky I was to go to all these great places across the world. But they don't realize that a lot of the lifestyle is endless Airport Departure Lounges and being shuttled off to nondescript hotels and meeting rooms.

Yes, you get some time off in the evenings but even then it's business over dinner and then it's not long before you're back into another taxi and yet another departure lounge.

But I'd be lying to say there isn't a frisson of anticipation to see my first trip in over a year appear on my calendar for next month. Even though it will be just another meeting room in another country :)

I’ve generally found that the only people that have much sympathy for my work-life are international business travellers, as they’re the only people that really ‘get’ jet lag, airports, living in hotels (as opposed to having a holiday staying in a hotel), and the rest of the naus’ that goes with travelling through multiple time zones several times a month.

Like you, I’m looking forward to a roster that doesn’t consist of furlough for the month, and indeed, my first trip in June has appeared in ‘the system’.

Pakistan for 5 days! Yeeaah! Oh! :rolleyes: :(

We bid for our work, so I’ve screwed something up, as it’s the only country I actively bid to avoid!

Not that I don’t like the country per se, but having been ‘blown up‘ twice whilst at work, I’d rather not stay somewhere that needs a ‘Green Zone’ to stay safe!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
The place I work for has purchased Keurig Pod machines for every Break Room and filled them with about 10 different blends of coffee but only one selection for Tea and it's Green Tea 🤢
Green tea is OK, once a week, but that is poor form. Assam all the way.
All I drink is green tea with milk :rotfl:
Yeah but you're a wrong'un. :D

Notorious PIG

I think they’re not really big tea drinkers in Germany, are they? They seem more coffee people. Sorry Laureline it looks like you’ll have to bring your own teabags with you to work :-(

InvisibleDuncan

Pakistan for 5 days! Yeeaah! Oh! :rolleyes: :(

We bid for our work, so I’ve screwed something up, as it’s the only country I actively bid to avoid!

Not that I don’t like the country per se, but having been ‘blown up‘ twice whilst at work, I’d rather not stay somewhere that needs a ‘Green Zone’ to stay safe!

I lived in Islamabad for a year as a teenager in the 80s (father was in the Foreign Office). Fabulous place, and we travelled a lot throughout northern Pakistan and loved it. Sadly, I wouldn't want to go there now as the whole atmosphere over there seems to have changed massively for the worse. :(

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
Trying to set up an online portal to use a company. It won't let me set up a new account because I'm already registered. I try to use the credentials from Last pass to let me in, but they don't work. Now my account is locked and they want me to ring them to sort it. Er nope. I'm using the online portal because I don't want to sit on hold for 20 minutes of my life, I'm not using it because I love sh*t I.T. systems and sitting on hold.

Paperwork thrown back in filing cabinet to look at whenever I've got the energy next.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
I lived in Islamabad for a year as a teenager in the 80s (father was in the Foreign Office). Fabulous place, and we travelled a lot throughout northern Pakistan and loved it. Sadly, I wouldn't want to go there now as the whole atmosphere over there seems to have changed massively for the worse. :(

Yes, I used to really enjoy the place. And we had access to the British Club, which you'll know well I expect.

Despite company reassurances that it is safe, the FCO advice says pretty much otherwise. The bombing of our hotel in 2008 didn't exactly put me at ease either - with getting caught up in other major events a couple of times, it puts me a little on edge!

With any luck the trip will be cancelled, but I'm not too enthralled at the moment!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021