The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

jouster

jouster

on a separate note...looks like my local council are going to be going down the "charging" route for garden waste collections. Now I appreciate many local councils are struggling with funds in general (although a lot of them are using COVID as a big reason??? - and there was me thinking them investing in Iceland a few years back was a bigger reason...anyway I digress)

The local page on the council website states it's partly being done to "reduce musculoskeletal injuries suffered by staff collecting the waste" .....(my own garden waste collection normally consists of some branches for bushes and similar....and normally weighs less than our black bags)...

But then when you look at the document regarding the meeting about this....you notice a section where they say they could stop all garden waste collection altogether but "It will also not provide any additional income opportunity and there may be increased revenue costs required to manage any increase in fly-tipped waste"

Im sure they have already made their minds up either way and are just going through the motions to make it sound like there was ever going to be another option.....it seems Council tax is covering less and less these days even though it is slowly going up for the majority of people

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I had an interview and presentation via Teams yesterday. Having lived like a shielding hermit for over three months the first half went pretty bad. Once I got going it was okay.

Apparently I passed "with flying colours". Which is very nice. But I know I could have done so much better.

nheather

Distinguished Member
on a separate note...looks like my local council are going to be going down the "charging" route for garden waste collections. Now I appreciate many local councils are struggling with funds in general (although a lot of them are using COVID as a big reason??? - and there was me thinking them investing in Iceland a few years back was a bigger reason...anyway I digress)

The local page on the council website states it's partly being done to "reduce musculoskeletal injuries suffered by staff collecting the waste" .....(my own garden waste collection normally consists of some branches for bushes and similar....and normally weighs less than our black bags)...

But then when you look at the document regarding the meeting about this....you notice a section where they say they could stop all garden waste collection altogether but "It will also not provide any additional income opportunity and there may be increased revenue costs required to manage any increase in fly-tipped waste"

Im sure they have already made their minds up either way and are just going through the motions to make it sound like there was ever going to be another option.....it seems Council tax is covering less and less these days even though it is slowly going up for the majority of people
We are on our third year of paying £50 odd for garden waste collection.

It’s introduction coincided when the increase limit for council tax was imposed. Of course the council said it was not at all because they wanted to increase the council tax above what they were permitted.

Cheers,

Nigel

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Also £55 here (actually just reduced to £50 - maybe because of the limited service?). We don't use it though - we have a few compost bins and other things, and it's no trouble to go the dump occasionally for exceptional items.

IronGiant

Ours is £38 for 25 collections a year (no garden waste collection over Christmas/New year) In addition you can put out extra bagged waste one week in May and one in November.

dmpzsn

Also £55 here (actually just reduced to £50 - maybe because of the limited service?). We don't use it though - we have a few compost bins and other things, and it's no trouble to go the dump occasionally for exceptional items.
We haven't used it before but all the recycling centres were closed and I had a garden full of waste which needed shifting, see how it goes this year as to whether I continue next year.

As it is we've managed to fill it for every collection which saves my car getting dirty.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We haven't used it before but all the recycling centres were closed and I had a garden full of waste which needed shifting, see how it goes this year as to whether I continue next year.

As it is we've managed to fill it for every collection which saves my car getting dirty.
It's certainly more convenient - our neighbours over the road put theirs out every other week for the collection. I think they do a lot more gardening than us though, and probably have too high standards to have a little pile of clippings :)

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Still free for waste collections where I am...for now.

jouster

I should say that I understand councils need to balance their book but considering our are currently looking to spend £200K on an ornamental elephant for a roundabout I’m not entirely sure their priorities are in the right place.

I understand from a single comment that the council are stating that due to COVID there general funds revenues from car parking have been hit hugely, which I of course understand and I appreciate funds need to come from somewhere, just maybe the first non essential thing to go is that damned elephant.

But my local council often do things none of its residents can understand

vu599536

My council charge £40 for garden waste bin and £20 for additional bins, which is fortnightly Match-Nov. My parents don't bother as they don't have a lawn and go 2-3 times a year to the tip a mile down the road - which is now reopen and need to book a slot online for getting rid of bedding plants.

Distinguished Member
So if your council charges extra for a garden waste bin, is it optional? Or as I suspect, everyone has to pay wether they use it or not?

jouster

So if your council charges extra for a garden waste bin, is it optional? Or as I suspect, everyone has to pay wether they use it or not?
It’s looking like it will be optional here

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Ours is either £55 or £60 for the optional garden waste bin collection every 2 weeks.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
For us it is opt-in.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
As I live in a smallish close we also have the option of renting a council goat.
It's more expensive than each having a bin, but the goat will wander around all the homes, so it works out cheaper in the long run.

Similar to this:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299