Quantcast

The irrational and not-so-irrational annoyances thread

nheather

Distinguished Member
This might not mean anything some, but those that have to use these devices will know exactly what I mean.

You are logging in and you have to enter the 2FA dongle code (like RSA SecureID).

Invariably, there is one bar of life left on the displayed code, what do you do?

If you chance it, the passcode is accepted the system thinks about it for a long time before eventually spitting it back because it has expired before it could be applied and asking you to enter the next number.

But if you play it safe then it takes an eternity for the current code to roll over to the next.

Cheers,

Nigel

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Oh DVLA, how I've missed you..
1581416798224.png

and yet..:
1581416821957.png

mjn

Distinguished Member
This might not mean anything some, but those that have to use these devices will know exactly what I mean.

You are logging in and you have to enter the 2FA dongle code (like RSA SecureID).

Invariably, there is one bar of life left on the displayed code, what do you do?

If you chance it, the passcode is accepted the system thinks about it for a long time before eventually spitting it back because it has expired before it could be applied and asking you to enter the next number.

But if you play it safe then it takes an eternity for the current code to roll over to the next.

Cheers,

Nigel
Even worse when the RSA token code only makes up the 2nd half of the 2nd half of the 2FA!! Meaning i have to type the 1st half of the 2nd half of the 2FA passcode!!

mjn

Distinguished Member

ruffage

Distinguished Member
To log into servers i have to use 2FA.

1st part is my password
2nd part is my passcode plus the numbers on my RSA token.

So you need both passwords and my RSA token to login.
I had a French client where I had to do that to get into their Citrix box. It didn't help that I only needed to logon every 45 days or so and my account would be suspended after 30 days due to inactivity. Most of my morning would be taken up just trying to log on and waiting on resets.

Qactuar

Cheers,

Nigel
My RSA tag will gladly let you miss by a few seconds. Only a few, though.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Can people not cook anymore, I don't meant you fancy rubbish all the cooking programs on TV would have us make but simple fare, Shepherds pie, stew spag bol ETC ETC, I have young neighbours that seem to live on take away food, she is in the house all day so not as if she has not got the time.

When my late partner and myself were both working we still managed a home cooked meal, is it laziness of inability these days?

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
I learned a lot through trial and error when I finished my apprenticeship and moved to Bath. Mind you I was house sharing and none of us had much idea but we improvised and I’m still alive to tell the tale. :laugh:

Dony

Distinguished Member
Can people not cook anymore, I don't meant you fancy rubbish all the cooking programs on TV would have us make but simple fare, Shepherds pie, stew spag bol ETC ETC, I have young neighbours that seem to live on take away food, she is in the house all day so not as if she has not got the time.

When my late partner and myself were both working we still managed a home cooked meal, is it laziness of inability these days?
We normally cook meals from scratch for 5 of us, but if it was just for 2 I can easily buy fresh home cooked dinners cheaper than I could make them, and with the bonus of no waste.

Maybe your neighbours do the same or they simply don't want to eat 1980's food like those you've listed.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
We normally cook meals from scratch for 5 of us, but if it was just for 2 I can easily buy fresh home cooked dinners cheaper than I could make them, and with the bonus of no waste.

Maybe your neighbours do the same or they simply don't want to eat 1980's food like those you've listed.
Don't think the local chippie sells cooked dinners like you allude to but I maybe wrong.

Foster

Distinguished Member
I think amazon have drove past my house 5 times after "you are 4 drops away".

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Plane only just arrived at the gate terminal. All seats are allocated. Yet many people are standing up and forming a queue to get onboard. I really don’t understand that behaviour.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Plane only just arrived at the gate terminal. All seats are allocated. Yet many people are standing up and forming a queue to get onboard. I really don’t understand that behaviour.
The only way it ever makes sense to me is on the likes of EasyJet where everyone has carry-on and there isn’t enough overhead storage for it all. At best you will get storage but about 5 seats back.

Or you get on, all the storage above your seat is already full, so you go to put it in the storage behind and the nasty sour faced woman about to sit there start laying into you because you are taking HER storage space.

Or you are the first of the normal boarding to find that the easy-boarders occupying 20% of the plane have already used ip 50% of the overhead storage.

Saddest situation I saw was on an Easy Jet back from Berlin. About half way through boarding the staff said the overheads were full and placed all subsequent carry-ons into the hold. There was one poor guy who was catching another plane at the destination, not a transfer but a separate flight. The EasyJet plane took off and arrived late. Had he had his carry on with him he would have made it but since he now had to go through baggage reclaim it was highly unlikely.

Cheers,

Nigel

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
Currys PC World call in the Police because they are breaking the law.

Cheers,

Nigel
I remember about 15 or so years ago, my late father stood on top of a washing machine display at the entrance to his local Currys/ PC World, telling everyone that came in the door not to buy anything from them after they refused to sort out his customer service issue after a 2 day old PC died on him. No police were involved afaik, but he did successfully get the refund he was after. I don't know much more detail than that, but it was a classic tale of my father doing things his way!

On another occasion, when in a pub, a guy at the bar blew cigarette smoke in his face. My dad calmly asked him if he'd be okay with my dad pissing on his leg. When the guy look confused, my dad explained;
'You're enjoying your cigarette and that's cool. But you've taken what you want from it and are expelling the waste in my face. I think it's only right and fair that I drink my pint, enjoy it and then expel the waste my body doesn't need down your leg'

Dads have a special way about them. Well, mine certainly did, that's for sure :laugh: I wonder how I turned out so 'normal'...

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
On my way to do a job that I’m well ahead of schedule and get a call first thing saying a tank in a loft has burst. Spend the whole day doing that instead. Arghhhhh.

Trending threads

Latest News

High End Munich 2020 Hi-Fi Show cancelled
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung leads global TV market for 14th straight year
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple wireless home cinema audio hinted by patent?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung and BT deliver UK’s first live 8K sports broadcast
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins confirms corporate changes
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom