The Invisible Man Review & Comments

Thought this was extremely average and predtictable. Maybe I'm getting old but I could literally predict scene by scene, there was no twist to speak off as you could tell what would unfold a mile away.

Really no different to Hallow Man just a different scenario type film.

2.5/5

i have this problem with most horror films. I put a lot down to my age, how many horror films I have seen over those years and possibly how my mind works.

When I sit in the film, while those around me are jumping and yelping I’m sitting there calm as anything because I can see every scare coming a mile away.

There aren’t that many different horror stories so most films are a reworking of an existing one or a blend of a number so it is very rare to get something original.

I also get annoyed when the characters act stupidly, necessary to make a thin story work.

I found The Invisible Man was better than most, there was more thought to the story, the characters weren’t completely stupid but it loses marks due to the inevitable plot holes necessary to make the story work.

So I’d give this one a 6.5/10.

Cheers,

Nigel

Question

Did anyone see what she threw on him when she was in the loft and he was on the step ladder. Paint would have made more sense being in the loft especially as the owner (James) was doing decorating but it looked like milk. Also perhaps I wasn’t paying attention, but it seemed that there was some bad editing there. To me she seemed to be scared to death, creeping towards the loft hatch and then all of a sudden she was all calm and calculated and had the white stuff (which seemed to appear from nowhere) to throw over him.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for the excellent review. Can't wait to see this one as I love films like this. Not gonna watch the trailers, Angry Joe says it scores a point or 2 more without watching it.:thumbsup:

Good to see this getting well reviewed, I look a good horror/suspense movie, but find them quite hard to come across. Last good one I saw was A Quiet Place, which I thought was very good!

I haven't seen this, and wasn't really planning on seeing it as the whole premise about an invisible man felt a bit meh, really?! But the reviews have got me interested so might see if the Mrs fancies going to see it :)

Just out of seeing this and thought they done a pretty good job.

Was entertained from start to finish.

I liked how we got to kinda experience it from the main characters point of view. Nothing giving the "indivisible man" away at times.

Decent enough CGI and storyline.

Also massive shock was amazing you will all know the one i mean.

All round good movie!

Saw this today, I thought it was great, very entertaining.

I enjoyed it much more than Hollow man and was happy to overlook a few nonsensical or obvious plot points.

4 out of 5

Thought this was extremely average and predtictable. Maybe I'm getting old but I could literally predict scene by scene, there was no twist to speak off as you could tell what would unfold a mile away.

Really no different to Hallow Man just a different scenario type film.

2.5/5

It's nothing like Hollow Man. In fact, it's about as different a film from that as its possible to make within the 'invisible antagonist' sub-genre.

I also don't believe you that you predicted every scene.

The Invisible Man Vue duplicate ticket.jpg

In fact I ended up closer to the screen, in Row D, seat 3, and the cinema was definitely less than a quarter full.

I quite liked the film, I'll be getting it on disc in about six months (after the new discs have reduced in price) and I didn't mind the plot holes that others have mentioned.

I thought at the time in the cinema that the white liquid was paint, but now that you've mentioned milk I'm not so sure! That scene was the only one that I thought was obvious, the bad guy was obviously either going to take the ladder away or climb up it. And I noticed that just before the white liquid, the ladder was in a different arrangement from how it had been when Cecilia climbed up it.

And by the way, I was just fine with the spoiler mentioned by Drax1 in post #10. Adrian gets a taste of his own medicine. Good. He had killed Cecilia's sister by that exact same method, not to mention the staff in the psychiatric hospital. His own demise was richly deserved.

Last edited:
Booked sofas in the Empire Impact screen for Sat eve :thumbsup:

Solid 8 from me, a taught, tense, decent thriller. Pity there were maybe five people in my showing at 7pm last night though.
how do you know there were only five...

Hollowman is a brilliant film but it seems to almost be like a hidden gem nowadays. I'm not sure why as it still holds up well today but is rarely mentioned.

While I wouldn't call it 'Brilliant', I do have a soft spot for Hollow Man. Have always liked it since release. I definitely feel that Whannell had this in mind during filming.

Elisabeth Moss is amazing and the direction is confident. Whannell is really growing as a director. I'd give it a soft 7/10

While I wouldn't call it 'Brilliant', I do have a soft spot for Hollow Man. Have always liked it since release. I definitely feel that Whannell had this in mind during filming.

Elisabeth Moss is amazing and the direction is confident. Whannell is really growing as a director. I'd give it a soft 7/10

To me it's all subjective mate. If I enjoy a film I always give it loads of credit.

I'm really looking forward to this film and was considering a trip to the cinema. I have so much in my blu ray back log though I think I'll wait for it on home media. Does look like an excellent cinema film though.

To me it's all subjective mate. If I enjoy a film I always give it loads of credit.

I'm really looking forward to this film and was considering a trip to the cinema. I have so much in my blu ray back log though I think I'll wait for it on home media. Does look like an excellent cinema film though.

Hmm, it's a tough one. While I wouldn't say it's absolutely essential to see it at the cinema, it does make for a good cinematic trip. More so for the sound than cinematography, though theres some great cinematography.

Just back from seeing this.

Agree with most of the comments here. Taught/Tense. The shocks don't come cheap and easy (thick and fast) therefore when they do, they’re magnified to a much greater degree.

That scene. Wowza.

Pretty brooding score that adds to the tension.

Easy 7/10

While I wouldn't call it 'Brilliant'....Elisabeth Moss is amazing and the direction is confident. Whannell is really growing as a director. I'd give it a soft 7/10
I have to agree. It also reminded me a lot of “Crawl” (which I also really enjoyed) with its strong female lead and low budget stature.

It’s a great intense fun thrill of a film and Elizabeth Moss is fantastic but....it does have its flaws, with the main one for me being that the ending was so quick.

I was enjoying it so much I thought there was more they could have done with the material but maybe I’m being too picky!! 😀 I would really recommend people watch this but it’s a 7.5/10 for me.

Is the picture incredibly dark or is it just my settings?

I presume that you're referring to the (4K??) disc, which I didn't know was out yet. Certainly I wouldn't call my experience of it at the cinema incredibly dark ....

I presume that you're referring to the (4K??) disc, which I didn't know was out yet. Certainly I wouldn't call my experience of it at the cinema incredibly dark ....
4k iTunes stream. Sorry.

Thanks. Messed about with the settings and it's better. Think one of my kids has been playing with the settings.

Just saw this rather belatedly. We enjoyed it thoroughly. I would say a solid 8 is spot on. Was surprised as I thought we''d seen it all with horrors and thrillers but this was really well done in my opinion. How did they make this film on a budget of 7 million dollars? Would have been interesting to see the gross without the covid disruption. A very good film

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom