The Invisible Man 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Your whinge is spot on! And is possibly the biggest issue I have when trying to get "in to" a film... Sorry, but I cannot leave my brain at the door when it comes to such basic principles as "but no one would ever do that", "who in their right mind would go in there" and the good old "that simply isn't possible". Some of the stuff film writers expect us to just except is difficult to swallow.

Thanks for the review!

I have to completely disagree with your whinge I'm afraid; this man is a nutcase, he's in love/obsessed with her and he's still completely controlling her and also full of vengeance at her having dared to leave him. He's getting revenge on her, making her go crazy so that she's even weaker and so he can win her back (in his warped logic.)

Thanks for the Review Simon. Not a massive modern horror fan (I like the old, campy B&W sort more), but will check this out at some point!

Wow a decent remake, thanks for the review - I must admit I didn't see that coming, I will have to look out for it ........... :censored:

I liked parts of this movie, effectively creepy directing and I appreciated the attempt to do something different with the idea of invisibility. Elizabeth Moss was as good as always, as were the rest of the cast, but there were just enough plot frustrations that in the end I was more irritated than entertained.

The invisibility suit apparently also grants the wearer super strength, resistance to any form of attack and an infinite bladder capacity that allows him to remain motionless in the corner of a cell for hours without going wee wee.

The invisibility of the suit is too perfect for the implied technology, with cameras and emitters. I’m an engineer, so maybe this bugged me more than other people, but it just didn’t feel plausible that it could be that good, that flawless based on the suit design as shown. You could maybe hide a plane or tank like that so it’s invisible from a distance, but not a person mere inches away without any distortion. In the similar “crazy invisible guy” movie Hollow Man, the invisibility is some kind of quantum hand-wavy thing, but it’s esoteric enough that it’s easier to suspend disbelief, and the transformation showing the whole body becoming invisible helps to sell the idea.

Also agree that the guy’s behaviour seemed too petty at the start, then even when he had basically won and destroyed her life, he still has to stalk her a bit more? There’s nuts but it’s hard to imagine how this guy could ever even function if he is that crazy. All she did was run away, he could have used his suit to kill her, kidnap her or anything really. It just didn’t seem worth the effort just to “mess with her head” when the suit gives him the afore mentioned super powers.

That said I look forward to whatever Leigh Whannel does next, I absolutely loved his previous movie, Upgrade. I just felt this one was a bit unsatisfying, a watch-once rental rather than a keeper.

A very good reimagining of the invisible man trope completely free of bandages, Elizabeth Moss was excellent and for once it was nice to see a film live up to the hype, I thought it was worth seven too

this is a really good movie - just a shame the mummy was such a turd - but perhaps universal have learned their lesson and we will more of their updated monster movies updated at this quality

a buy for me but at the 2 for £20 level

I agree that the “whinge” here is entirely misplaced. Every ”ghost” horror I have seen starts small and builds up its level of malevolence towards the finale. It’s an annoyance but it’s a trope for this type of film.

I would say - like I did with “Crawl”, which is a movie I think is very similar in its excellent low budget “retelling“ of an old subject - simply suspend belief and go with the story as it is. If you do then this is a great entertaining film.

Last edited:
I saw this with my wife at the cinema and we both loved it. I also bought it on blu-ray and the 'extended edition' claim is basically misleading when all we're getting is an extra 3 seconds (!)

What with Saw, Insidious, The Conjuring, Upgrade and now this, Whannell is someone whose work I'll instantly want to see as soon I hear his name is attached.

I really enjoyed this movie.
Starts off with an intriguing ‘bang’
The edge of your seat tension is maintained throughout the move
Do care for the protagonist and the acting is good.

Yes, there are flaws, some big ones but if you are asking whether it’s a good old fashioned movie suspense done well and if we enjoyed it, then it’s a total yes.
I recommend watching this :thumbsup:

Watched this last night and enjoyed it although it was a little silly and OTT at times.

I think the stand out moment was
the meal with her sister
:eek: That was great and quite a shock plus I really liked the ending.

The weakest part was the
suit, the CGI didn’t look great
and it was at odds with the horror feel of the rest of the movie. I think what would have made a much better film is
if she was just crazy and doing everything herself but believing it was him. With everything that had gone on with her plus the diazepam and lack of sleep would’ve been much more plausible and sinister than him still being alive and that daft suit.

Overall, a decent midweek movie with some nice tense moments. 7/10

With regard to your third spoiler,
I think it shows how well written it was because for about 2/3 of the film you seriously had to wonder yourself if it was indeed all in her head.

Hi all. Has anyone rented this on sky q. Its on ther as uhd with atmos..but I've seen that a lot of the time the atmos isn't full as you would get on a disc.

Hi all. Has anyone rented this on sky q. Its on ther as uhd with atmos..but I've seen that a lot of the time the atmos isn't full as you would get on a disc.

The downside of renting it on SKY is that it won't have HDR... I'd probably go for the one on Amazon, which is also cheaper at £5.49.

I've looked for it but can't find it anywhere.

Its definitely there..

I will stay with the real one.
Not into the remake stuff.
But that is just me.

Might rent it on sky this week. The amazon does t mention anything about atmos

Really enjoyed this. No arty farty movie just a straight forward thriller/ sci fi.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom