1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Internet and MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by iamlofi, Aug 31, 2005.

1. iamlofi

iamlofi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a HTPC just about well . . minus tv cards (think im getting Win TV nova pci) But just moving into my new house i have not got the internet sorted yet and will be a few months till i have.

Is there any point in getting these cards up and running or is MCE going to fall badly without the internet.

2. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Internet is used for downloading program guides and music CD info. MCE will happily run without these, but ripping CD's is a right PITA :suicide:

3. iamlofi

iamlofi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i wont be able to schedule tv programs to record will i ? or can you do it via time like you can with video plus ?

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    You can just do a manual recording. The EPG on MCE is really VG. If you can at least get dial-up working & connect for a few minutes every day or two then you should be able to get the programme guide OK.

5. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any sort of PC without the internet? :suicide:

I have 2mb broadband into my htpc. BBC is going to start streaming things soon. YOu can get internet radio. Surf the web using your hdtv etc.

If you play games you need the patches etc. Also any pc that doesn't have net access will not get patched...

6. iamlofi

iamlofi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i know its sad isn't it . . but then i work for an IT company and have full access at work so its not a major thing at home.

But i will get a phone line installed soon (just getting round to it) and im chomping at the bit to sort a HTPC out.

untill i get a new machine im just going to use my AMD 64 shuttle i have setup and just stick 2 Freeview PCI WIN tv cards in there as i rarely use it at home.

Actually while im on here can any one recomend a quiet ish ok GFX card (AGP) that wont break the bank as with it being in a shuttle a fanless one might melt !

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Has your shuttle got two PCI slots? Thought they only had one! I have a shuttle for MCE, I use the Gigabyte fanless 6600GT AGP card - which just fits but uses up the PCI slot space too - and an Avermedia USB2 DVBT card (MCE compatible)

lisa

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    You can get any card and just stick an Zalman Flower cooler to it and it will run silent if you have it on the Silent setting, but that will use up a PCI slot next to the AGP slot, so you can't win, the Zalman option is pretty costly, but Like Lisa said, you an go for the Gigabyte 6600GT Passive cooled option, it's around £130, I got an ATI X700PRO and fitted an Zalman Flower cooler to it, which cost me £160 altogether...

9. iamlofi

iamlofi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i just checked last night and yes i only have 1 pci slot which sucks ! what are the USB tuners like are they any good ? one problem is that i think im wanting dual tuners can you have dual USB tuners ?

OR just build a HTPC from scratch !

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Good question - I am not sure if dual usb tuners will work, will need to research on www.xpmce.com or www.thegreenbutton.com or wait to see if someone on here knows (or find out from avermedia/hauppauge).

There is a guy on here who had the Avermedia USB DVB-T running with a Black Gold PCI DVB-T card, this would still restrict you to the size of the AGP card you put in the shuttle.

I have a Shuttle MCE with the 6600GT AGP card and the Avermedia USB2 DVB-T card. I get MCE to record all my tv, and use a Pace Twin to watch another channel on if I want to watch one channel and record another. I can also record other channels via the pace twin, but then the recordings do not get onto my home network.

Not ideal I know, but a workaround!

lisa

11. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Radeon 9600 can be had with a passive cooler. AND is doesn't take up any more PCI slots :clap: They're about £70. I got mine from HERE . I think any more powerful than that and you're going to have a problem with space