The interface/OS leaves alot to be desired

JamesP1701

When comparing the dashboard to the 360's I really don't think there's any comparison. The PS3's is dull to look at, text is too small, the online store is hell to navigate aorund comparfed to the 360's. Sony just seem to have been ;azy on this one.

Oh, and also, can anyone advise me, when playing Blu-Ray through COmponent, the picture is lovely and crisp but not 100% smooth. It's almost as if a frame is missing. Someone told me this bight be to do with the hertz it's being played at. Can anyone assist?

Well, I would disagree on the 1st point, the Xbox dashboard look garish and cluttered.

The PS3 looks slick and stylish.

I agree the store needs a makeover thou.. I'm sure this will happen, in time.

prvjoker

well each to their own mate, but the XMB is simple and uncluttered. The 360's UI is Disneyland, everything you want is buried somewhere that doesn't make sense and you have to traverse up and down menu's to find what you really want.

AQU4RIUS

agree, the ps3 interface is simple and effective.

Kevin340

I agree with prvjoker....the XMB is uncluttered and simple to use, you can find what you want in a logical place.

What's complicated about the PSN store ? Its arranged in an easy to follow manner and the downloading and installation of demo's and videos is straightforward. Would be nice to see some music videos in the store though.

JayEm

The store is well designed and easy to use in my opinion but I'm not a big fan of the XMB as it is, it could use some work.:)

RGP

I personally hate the 360 dash & love the PS3 one as I always liked the PSP dash.

B

BHSean

Definitely a case of each to their own, I prefer the 360 dash

For me the XMB feels too sterile and disconnected

hutch

Distinguished Member
IMO the PS3 interface is head and shoulders above the 360 one.

Each to their own.

Jim_Fear

When comparing the dashboard to the 360's I really don't think there's any comparison. The PS3's is dull to look at, text is too small, the online store is hell to navigate aorund comparfed to the 360's. Sony just seem to have been ;azy on this one.

Oh, and also, can anyone advise me, when playing Blu-Ray through COmponent, the picture is lovely and crisp but not 100% smooth. It's almost as if a frame is missing. Someone told me this bight be to do with the hertz it's being played at. Can anyone assist?

Don't quote me on this but does your TV only support 50Hz? if so then that could be it, BR is 60Hz so you're trying to convert a 60Hz signal in to 50Hz.

english_bob

Best turn it off them. I own a 360 as well and find the front end slow and unresponsive, a bit like Windows. In contrast the XMB is fast and fluid and it doesn't appear to be stuggling to run it. Don't even get me started on the mess that is the Marketplace! :mad: :thumbsdow

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I would have to agree with most of the others here. The PS3's XMB is far better designed and user friendly then the 360's dashboard. The 360's dashboard and menu system is a pain to navigate whilst the PS3's is easy. The only thing I would complain about the PS3's XMB is the background. I can't stand it and wish I could use my own wallpaper. Hopefully that will come in a future firmware update.

JamesP1701

Don't quote me on this but does your TV only support 50Hz? if so then that could be it, BR is 60Hz so you're trying to convert a 60Hz signal in to 50Hz.

No, the TV definitely supports 60Hz. Anyone know how I can change the settings?

Many thanks,

James

Tony Hoyle

It's not that a frame is missing it's that one is added to convert the 24 fps signal into 60fps.

HDDVD has the same issue. It's going to become more of a problem as HD becomes mainstream as we've been used to DVDs being totally smooth (and never really noticed the 4% speedup)... in the US they've always had the issue.

Until more TVs come onstream that are able to compensate for the judder, or that can take a 1080p/24 source (assuming the ps3 can be updated via firmware to send that) then we're going to have to live with it I'm afraid.

D

Deleted member 63670

360 by a mile, xmb is plain and boring whereas the dashboard is just nice, albeit a bit cluttered

S

SinisterRocket

On the interface side of things im not sure what i prefer. I like the layout and look of the 360 but as my mahcine has got older and the hardrive full its starting to stutter and be a pain to use. The ps3 i find very boring but very simple to use. Marketplace vs playstion store is an easy victory for the store.

But where it counts ie the os, the 360 walks all over the ps3. Voice chat where you want etc, seing what your friends are up to, Simple invite system, Gamer Points(i dont care what any fanboys say about this, games started out about acheiving a high score and this adds that element back into games).

The plus side for the PS3 is that they will hopefully get this resolved with future releases.

So after that little rant i agree that at present the os leaves alot to be desired

RSVdaz

Banned
xmb is fine..its just a shame you cant access whilst playing games.
i miss taking a look at my buddies list to see who i can invite into a game etc

Kahled

I really do not like the XMB as it currently stands.

From horrible icons (those cutesy pre-pubescent smiley blocks really make you cringe when you try and show it to anyone) to finicky navigation. They really need to get the ability to set your own wallpaper on there as a matter of urgency because being confronted with some glaring pink backdrop on starting is horrendous.

The 360 and Wii interfaces are just so much more natural and intuitive as front ends, obviously much more thought gone into their design rather than just rehashing the interface from the PSP of years gone by.

To be fair it does handle folders and hierarchical elements better on external storage than the 360 but all told just too many little frustrating niggles in its usage. Simple things really get your goat with the store for example, the inconsistent operation of selecting downloads (for a demo press this button to select, for a movie you have to hit something else.. ill thought).

I would like to see quite a few improvements on there but by far the biggest is getting rid of that damn backdrop in favour of a custom selected one!

prvjoker

Best turn it off them. I own a 360 as well and find the front end slow and unresponsive, a bit like Windows. In contrast the XMB is fast and fluid and it doesn't appear to be stuggling to run it. Don't even get me started on the mess that is the Marketplace! :mad: :thumbsdow

oh yeah don't get me started on marketplace. Far too many ads. PSN store ain't that much better but is cleaner looking, it would benefit from a BACK and FORWARD button accessible from the sixaxis pad.

BradleyLove

On the interface side of things im not sure what i prefer. I like the layout and look of the 360 but as my mahcine has got older and the hardrive full its starting to stutter and be a pain to use. The ps3 i find very boring but very simple to use. Marketplace vs playstion store is an easy victory for the store.

But where it counts ie the os, the 360 walks all over the ps3. Voice chat where you want etc, seing what your friends are up to, Simple invite system, Gamer Points(i dont care what any fanboys say about this, games started out about acheiving a high score and this adds that element back into games).

The plus side for the PS3 is that they will hopefully get this resolved with future releases.

So after that little rant i agree that at present the os leaves alot to be desired
Regarding your points about the OS, I accept what you're saying with respect to invites, voice chat, etc... but whilst the PS3 is weak in this respect, it's far more advanced than the 360 in others.

For example, you can use ANY bluetooth keyboard/mouse, ANY bluetooth headseat, ANY USB wireless receiver (for the 20gb version). Furthermore, you can use a USB storage device to back your PS3 up, transfer photos and music, oh and video too.

You can also insert a CD/DVD with MP3 files and play or transfer them to the PS3 HDD (you can only rip music CD's with 360). Admittedly you can't stream from your PC but to be honest, I don't want to have to have my PC on all the time!

So whilst I take your point about the OS, I counter that the openess and expandability of the PS3 more than make a match.

B

BHSean

Regarding your points about the OS, I accept what you're saying with respect to invites, voice chat, etc... but whilst the PS3 is weak in this respect, it's far more advanced than the 360 in others.

For example, you can use ANY bluetooth keyboard/mouse, ANY bluetooth headseat, ANY USB wireless receiver (for the 20gb version). Furthermore, you can use a USB storage device to back your PS3 up, transfer photos and music, oh and video too.

You can also insert a CD/DVD with MP3 files and play or transfer them to the PS3 HDD (you can only rip music CD's with 360). Admittedly you can't stream from your PC but to be honest, I don't want to have to have my PC on all the time!

So whilst I take your point about the OS, I counter that the openess and expandability of the PS3 more than make a match.

Again it's all down to personal preference, but I prefer functionality over flexibility

For me none of the points you made compensates for the lack of of voice chat (and invites) across all applications

Too many times I'm sat there with my bluetooth headset on with no one to speak to

Again each to there own

ps I thought you could use usb storage devices with the 360

psikey

Distinguished Member
Another vote for XMB. Simple & logical. They MUST make it accessable in-game for reading/replying to messages & seeing what mates or doing.

The latest video from AVForums

Dog Soldiers & Flatliners 4K, Black Phone, RRR & Mad God on digital, plus 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Sky, NOW and Paramount+ UK for September 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Pro-Ject Audio launches X2 B turntable
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Clearaudio launches Reference Jubilee turntable