1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The inevitable indecision....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tommytannock, May 11, 2005.

1. tommytannock

tommytannock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, finally decided to take the plunge and invest in a projector.

Tested an Infocus 4805 today on an 8ft screen and was seriously wowed but this was obviously all perfectly calibrated on a component lead with a good DVD player. Now I have to decide whether to simply buy this one (or maybe the Optoma H30a?) but then have no more money to spend on screen, cables or new player OR buy a cheaper Benq like the 5120 or 6200 and be able to buy a better screen and even a new DVD player as mine is very cheap.

So I need to be swayed into either buying the cheaper Benq and accessories or probably the Infocus and just get the rest later on. I am a student so budget considerations are important but neither do I want to buy something a little cheaper and regret the decision.

How much difference does a professional screen make as compared to a DIY or even a white wall?

And as a total PJ newcomer will the Infocus really be noticeably better then the Benq. I definitely do not suffer from any eye-strain on the DLP though I did notice slight rainbow effects when there was fast black and white contrasting images but nothing major.

I would appreciate any input from owners and also the screen situation clarified.

I just need to be pushed to either decision as I really, really want to get it soon!!

Thanks a lot...

2. Zack Attack

Zack Attack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    tommytannock

I'm biased - so first off a plug for the H30A :)

Personally I'd go with the best projector you can afford and if needs must then a white wall will suffice rather than a lower quality projector + screen; that said there are good deals to be had inc a screen these days from most retailers!

Best regards

Joe

4. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same position in January (student with a little bit too much money). I started with a budget around £600 and ended up spending £1200 on the Infocus SP4805. I'm still blown away by it. It's a fantastic machine.

I'm using it in my bedroom, prjecting about 12-15ft (not measured it recently) onto a white wall. The wall is uneven, got crap wallpaper on it that is uneven and curling at a few edges that are on my projection area. But in September I painted my whole room matt white and the image is still fantastic. It's likely to be better with a good screen, but no question its good enough onto a white wall.

I think better off spending thr cash on the core piece (projector) and building the other stuff as you can (working during the summer for example)

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Why not build your screen instead? A good fixed framed screen is probably £300-£500. However, you can buy the poper screen material from somewhere like www.ellie.co.uk, and staple it to a basic wooden frame, and then run flock tape from Nexnix around the edge to give it a black border. Total cost is around £140. :)

6. stauDLP

stauDLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'be built mine buying the 1.2 gain screen paper ,a 200cm pole, screws... with 40€

7. tommytannock

tommytannock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I am just going to go and buy the Infocus, worry about the screen later.

I cannot wait!!

8. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think you have made the right decision especially getting the 4805 as it has come down in price. :) I have had mine since December and cannot fault it, it was projecting onto a 5 foot wide 16:9 piece foamcore (the stuff they make displays you see at the cinema) I finally got a Vutec Fixed Frame Screen in February and am very happy with the results now it is projecting onto a proper screen, it looked good before, but it looks even better now :thumbsup:

9. Catman

Catman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: I had a similar choice to make regarding choice of projector. I eventually decided on the H30a. I got the projector, screen and ceiling mount from Discount Electrical, who give a superb service. I am very happy with my choice, the picture is amazing, (about 7.5' from 13' throw distance) and the projector is so quite - it is above my head and I cannot hear it at all!

10. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would say go with the best projector you can, I have the 6200 and once it was calibrated it was superb, close to the 4805! I am very pleased with it and I only went with it so I could afford to buy a new reciever and DVD player.
    Alex

11. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Even better when you can get it for 795.00

12. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Ikea do a 2 metre wide blackout blind (tuppler range I think) which cost around 20 quid and its a great screen.

I had a 'proper' pull down screen and ended up selling cause the picture on the ikea blind was better.

For twenty quid you can't go wrong.