The Independent Group

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27989

They need a few more, but if the others trickle in to join as it reportedly is normal over the next few weeks they’d could become the third party. That is of course if they decide to form a party.

Big enough news I’d say to warrant their own thread.

I lay my cards on the table, not that they can be counted...but hey ho. I quite like Chukka, he often comes across as fair and reasonable to me. I heard his speech on the radio on my way home and it all resonated with me. Granted words are easier than actions but the change has got to start somewhere.

And for balance, I thought Tom Watson’s reaction was also very good, and fair.

I look forward with interest to what happens next and what direction this will take.

I'm the same with Chuka. I don't agree with everything, but he's head and shoulders above most politicians.

I've been waiting for a more centrist party to save me from our current political nightmare, so here's hoping. I still think they'll be doomed to failure though, if it happens, unfortunately.

Their biggest hurdle may be the next GE. As they are all in safe Labour seats, they may disappear come the next vote.

I look forward to the gang of seven expand with more prominent centrist voices from across the house, because so far it's just the well known Chuka, the infamous Luciana, someone who gapes and a few others.

How long will he last as the centre of attention?

Chuka Umunna withdraws from Labour leadership contest

Chuka Umunna, the shadow business secretary, has withdrawn from the Labour leadership contest, citing the impact the increased level of attention would have on him and those close to him.

In a statement, Umunna said he thought he understood the level of scrutiny and attention the leadership contest would bring, but that he had found it uncomfortable.

I'm the same with Chuka. I don't agree with everything, but he's head and shoulders above most politicians.

I've been waiting for a more centrist party to save me from our current political nightmare, so here's hoping. I still think they'll be doomed to failure though, if it happens, unfortunately.
With best intentions, considering he is already united us :) there has got to be a really good future for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the current FPTP voting system in place I have a suspicion the new Splinter Group or Independent Group will dwindle to nothing at the next general election.

People’s vote advocates who don’t think the labour voters deserve a by-election. They will be gone at the next GE if they don’t return to Labour before then.

Feel sorry for Luciana Berger, nobody deserves the bullying she has been subjected to and would have done the same a long time ago if I was her.

However sincere and earnest this new group is, unless a vast portion of the activist and donor base goes with them, they will simply be wiped out at the next election.

The Independent Group - Wikipedia

The group is not a registered political party, but rather a group of independent MPs without a leader.[12] According to their website, the group is supported in its aims by Gemini A Ltd, a private company.[13] The company was started by member Gavin Shuker.[14][15] According to The Guardian media editor Jim Waterson, this means that the group is not subject to the same restrictions on donations under UK law as registered political parties are.[16]

Their biggest hurdle may be the next GE. As they are all in safe Labour seats, they may disappear come the next vote.

Target Marginal seats and they might have a better chance of winning a seat i.e. voters in marginals might well be fed up of both Labour and Tories, and the offer of an alternative might be seized upon. But we shall see.

The 27th might well be an auspicious day for the Independent Group.

It was reported that many labour MPs are very sympathetic to the breakaway group. I read that as many more would have liked to have jumped ship, but didn't because they were not optimistic of it surviving.

The old SDP had many front bench people, and that ultimately failed.

Swearing.

When I hear Tom Watson talking it is quite obvious he understands why Mps are leaving. He says he hardly recognises his party now.

Will there be more leaving,

If a few of the bigger names people know decide to jump ship, it could become something.

But I'm with those who think it may just fizzle out. I hope not, but my feeling is our politics is too entrenched in the tradition of the big two to ever change.

At best I think they could be a fringe party with future coalition hopes.

While i'm all for seeing the 2 party system broken up how these people can refer to themselves as the Independence Group is beyond me..
If they had just resigned from the Labour party individually instead of all collectively plucking up the courage to do it would have been better imho

While i'm all for seeing the 2 party system broken up how these people can refer to themselves as the Independence Group is beyond me..

Erm because they are a group of Independent MP's who've decided to group together. Logical to call one's group the Independent Group. It might have been a bit pompous to call themselves the Magnificent Seven.

If they had just resigned from the Labour party individually instead of all collectively plucking up the courage to do it would have been better imho

Resigning the Whip at the same time increased the impact yesterday.
I expect if any Tories make the jump, they'll do a similar thing. If this does turn into a political party then impact is what they need to get attention.

Does anyone actually believe that this lot will be any more successful than the SDP?.

That depends on how you define success. The split prompted the Labour rump to (eventually) deal with Militant and evolve into something that embodied the values of the SDP rather more than it did the values it embodied at the time of the split. That in turn led to the only Labour election wins of the last forty five years.

Do I see political fame and fortune for the seven? No. Do I think what they are doing will have an effect? Yes.

That in turn led to the only Labour election wins of the last forty five years.
though the Tories ain't been doing too great, only one election win in the last 26 years

Erm because they are a group of Independent MP's who've decided to group together. Logical to call one's group the Independent Group. It might have been a bit pompous to call themselves the Magnificent Seven.
They grouped together to leave the labour party and form another group,so at no point in time have they shown any independece...Not being affiliated to a party but forming a group is hardly showing independence imho..
Chuka Umunna has said himself that he hopes a new party will be created by the end of the year,,, i can really feel the independence oozing out of him :laugh:
Resigning the Whip at the same time increased the impact yesterday.
Just shows a lack of real conviction if you ask me,,if you don't agree with the party just leave don't try to find people to hold your hand
I expect if any Tories make the jump, they'll do a similar thing.
Agreed..
If this does turn into a political party then impact is what they need to get attention.
The real issue that unites them could be done and dusted before they get the party of the ground..
I can understand the possibility of impact,their frustrations of the Labour party etc but if they would refer to themselves as Independent of the Labour party group it would be fairer

I'm not sure on Twitter why Derek Hatton is trending, but looks like Corbyn is getting desperate if he's bringing back old Degsy!!

though the Tories ain't been doing too great, only one election win in the last 26 years

Eh? The 2015 election was won- albeit narrowly- by the Conservatives.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom