Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

The incredible march of Technology...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dr_Mike, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just read an interesting theory over on avs that, with PJs, as with PCs, it only takes 2 years for a given level of performance to go from 'State of the art' to 'Entry level'.

Anyone else think this is true ? ie do today's entry level PJs (Z2, AE500, TX100, H30,4805 etc) offer the same peformance as a state of the art machine from 2 years ago ? And in 2 years time will 3 chip DLP or LCoS machines be available for about a grand ?

Any thoughts anyone ?

(I wouldn't let this get in the way of my future purchase(s), I realise there is no 'right time to buy')

2. knodell

knodell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally go along with that - I got myself a basic Hitachi TX10 a few months back and results are excellent. Now the TX100 more than makes up for any slight failings in the TX10 and would have cost twice as much as it does only 12 months ago.

By the time I upgrade in maybe 3 years I expect a £1000 projector to be pretty flawless - though there will always be those who spend their time running test disks and dreaming of total perfection.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Totally agree.
    Look at your LCDs for example. HS20 is effectively the latest model in the sony HT range starting with the 10HT quite a few years ago. The HS20 is way better than the 10HT but the HS20 goes for £1500 whilst the 10HT was near £6000 when it came out.

I refuse to buy a single chip dlp as I've never seen one that didn't rainbow for me and its inevitable that you will get 3 chipper at reasonable prices at some point in the next 5 years. ( or something as good)

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The 3 chip DLPs were £100,000 professional only a year or 2 ago. There is A Runco one for £20,000 now so I expect in another 2 years they'll have dropped to 5-6000. One more year and a half after that and they'll be within my self imposed budget!! Woohoo :D Hopefully my AE300 will last till then because I intend my next upgrade to be a 3 chipper DLP like Mr. D

5. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    very true... this ties in with the tread I started h30 vs h56 a comparison. The technolog seems to be moving so fast, that there's no point in waiting until the 'next best thing' comes along because every 5 minutes there's another best thing!