1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The importance of sub settings (or How I gave up...)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cribeiro, Jan 13, 2004.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi there.

I just wanted to point out the high relevance that the sub settings (amp level and crossover frequency) have for the sound of a home cinema/hifi set. I do it just by writing about my own experience, which finished (up to now) with giving up and going the "easy" way...
    I tried to follow several remarks about the settings, which I found in several places in internet web sites of sub sellers. I couldn't get the proper sound I could hear in audition rooms and with systems which shouldn't sound better than mine. I got usually too boomby bass, in the region where my stand loudspeakers and my sub were working together. But I also got the very low frequencies very enhanced, and "holes" in freq in a higher region of the spectrum. The reasons are clear to me, and I know the theory about how to solve them... Damned theoreticians, you'd say... Yes, I am one of them :)
    Nevertheless, I couldn't set it properly, after very much tuning and many days standing up and trying to get it fixed. My girfriend goes crazy when I stop a movie and try something... :)
    I know it could be easily done if I had proper tools, like an spl-meter and some cd with sounds in the different freqs that would help to recognise the cross over of my set and to adjust the level of the sub amp. But I am not really eager in spending the money in such things, so I tried with the help of my ear... which proved to be not enough. Maybe I will need to go on shopping...
    So, these days I decided to get the job done by my Yamaha amp, which cuts at 90Hz and everything below is sent to the sub. That way is easy, because the crossover doesn't make any problem, and then the amp level is easily set. I was really happy when I could hear a defined and clear bass, without extremely low freq (like an explosion in a movie, that shakes the house) trying to destroy the walls while I almost couldn't hear the dialogues, and without annoying boomby peaks in the mid-bass region. The sound is now defined, clear, and deep.
    I am satisfied, although I have a feeling of location sometimes, which I know shouldn't happen... Could be something psychological... At the same time, I think it is a pity to have floorstanding speakers for nothing :)
    I wonder if I am totally clumsy about it, or more people also experience this... Or maybe people doesn't realize about it? It would be nice to read your opinions about it.
    Anyway, cheers.

2. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I agree, setting crossover frequencies and sound channel volumes can be a pain. For now, I have my main set at 70, centre at 80 and rears at 80 but may be changing them soon.

I find that setting main speaker xover is easier with bassy music.
    Centre channel xover, despite the speaker usually being quite smaller than the main, I find it is important to avoid setting it too high e.g. the STD 120Hz, otherwise voices can sound lacking in warmth affecting the overall 'soundstage'.

However, I have recently bought DVE (Digital Video Essentials) which I will be using soon for further tuning. A SPL meter will also be an addition, but am waiting until next month when the newer analogue model is being released by Radio Shack, so I can then decide whether to buy this or the already existing slightly pricier digital one.

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Actually, that brings me to a question I should have asked already... What kind of software (cd, dvd) can I buy with test signals in order to do the job?

I wish I could get some digital oscilloscopes out of the labs... :) I bet they have lots of tools to generate the proper signals I need...

I am interested in signals with which I could know exactly the frequency response of each speaker, because then I would be able to set the crossovers properly. Is it possible to do it yourself with the computer and then burn a cd?

4. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need digital video essentials not only does it have all the test tones you need it has video test signals ,and colour filters But most importantly it has a full section on HOW to do the set up and tests it can seem slow but its well worth taking the time to watch all the explanations.
    To set up your system you need a SPL meter any spl meter is better than none .(I use the radio shack digital one)

Digital video essentials replaces video essentials i got mine for £12.99!!!
    from

http://splashdvd.com/splash/search.cfm

this link might help you a bit

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-theater/thread.cgi?keywords=2888&highlight=meter|spl

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There are quite some movies released with such features, mostly THX certified discs.
    I think e.g. Pearl Harbour and Akira have this.

6. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I only paid £7.99 for my DVE disc - from Splash too. :D

Actually while we're on the subject...

Bob, do you find the Radio Shack Digital meter easy enough to use ? It's just that some say an analogue is better where you can say, measure levels on a frequency sweep much better ?

Thanks,

Dav

7. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hello!

Ok, thank you, I feel relieved reading that it is not I am so clumsy...
    Maybe I will buy a movie with all those test tones, and some time later I will think about buying the digital video essentials and the spl meter.
    Do you think I can get these tools here in Germany, or I should order them from UK?
    I have found in internet some tools which can create sine waves at the desired frequency and amplitude. Do you think that can help to see how my hifi works and to set the speakers properly?
    Thanks!

8. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The THX optimode set up is notoriusly bad as set up test discs go! but its better than not testing .

yes you can get the tools in Germany .you can down load test signals from the net but if you saw the disc you would realise how good the disc is and for picture set up its brilliant.

Mudan the digital meter is dead easy to use for setting levels and if you use a slow frequency sweep as on DVE

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Also in combination with such a movie you still need a SPL meter which you can get e.g. from Conrad Electronic .

I have seen such CDs (with test tones, sweeps, pink noise etc.) readily available, try Saturn or other big record shops.

10. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the positive feedback about the Radio Shack Digital SPL meter, Bob, I've now ordered the same one.