The importance of sound for movies

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cribeiro, Jan 19, 2003.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi! I only want to convince people who do not have yet a proper hi-fi at home to listen to movies. Well, I am only in the first step, with my Magnat speakers and Yamaha amplifier, but I do have full freq. range in all 5 channels, and a sub in addition.
    With that, I can tell you there is a huge difference in the movie experience. I saw "Hannibal" yesterday night. It was late, so I set all speakers to "small" and decreased the sub level. It was ok, though. Today I saw it again, in the midday, but the room was completely dark (needed to really get into the movie). I could enjoy the whole abilities of my system, the speakers are rated at 120 rms, and the receiver is a Yamaha rx-v 530. I set it at -30 dB. I couldn't go further without starting to be annoyed by the sound (not by distortion, good thing) , my room is around 5 times 4 square meters. Damn, I was scared!
    The first time was ok, but the second, even knowing in each moment what was going to happen, the feeling of my seat shaking made unique the experience, made me feel there, almost been cut by the expert Dr.'s hand.
    The ambience sound filling the room makes really a lot. As one dealer told me, the bass is important, you are into the movie when you feel it in your guts. Now I can understand him.
    BTW, this dvd came in both dts and dolby digital, and I tried to feel the difference. I couldn't. The only thing was that dts had a higher output level, I had to increase some dB to get dolby digital at the same level. But about sound quality, no difference. Maybe with a hi-end system, but not with mine. Or maybe with golden ears, although I am considered like that among my friends?
    Finally, I must add that I am still missing something: a big screen!!! It is really a pity to have such a sound with only 21 inches of tv... What would you recomend me? A second hand beamer? Of course, this will need time, it is a big inversion for my modest pocket...

2. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree , but ive gone the reverse route to you.
    i recently bought a toshiba picture frame widescreen.
    and was so impressed with the picture quality
    and widescreen presentations that ive gone home cinema mad.
    bought £250 worth off dvd'd this month alone.
    just ordered my kef eggs.
    and am patiently waiting for the denon AVR3803 to arrive
    in the shops.

my experience will then be complete.

Brian..

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    No, at that point you will just have started. Prepare to remortgage in order to fund all the upgrades you will be making :D

4. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im sure your right , the bug is here to stay.
    spending time in these forum pages can be
    hazadous to the the bank balance.

can i see a plasma on the horizon.

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Someday, I will earn as a PostDoc, and not as a poor PhD... Then, I will go for a video projector. I don't know much about it, but I think it is worther than a plasma tv, you get bigger screen for the price and as you said that matters. Anyway, this is not the place for that discussion...
    Yes, this forum is helpful but dangerous for your pocket.