1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Importance of a Demo. Sharp VS. Screenplay 5700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timbo21, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi everyone,

I've read all the reviews & it seemed to me the Screenplay 5700 was THE one
    to go for. However, I've tried both the Sharp Z200 & the Screenplay 5700 at two different 7 oaks & I can safely say I preferred the Sharp.

However, I would say the Screenplay had the edge on DVI, but I don't have
    DVI & I don't think I want to pay another £200 - £500 for a new DVD player with DVI, especially since I would have to replace it soon with an HDDVD
    resolution one!

The Sharp on component seemed to be sharper (ha ha :boring: ) and more alive than the screenplay with better contrast.

Additionally the screenplay was really suffering from the rainbow effect on
    Lost in Translation (the sharp didn't). Lost in Translation was a good test since some low light shots are quite noisey, like the opening shot of Scarlet Johannsen's bottum :nono: , Other shots with Bill Murray in the taxi first arriving in Tokyo are very high quality and on a good system the colours should jump out in a very life-like way. There are many dimly lit scenes which will be a good test for distinction between different dark shades.

With the Screenplay When I moved my head quickly the rainbows showed up
    (only in Lost in Translation, especially with quick arm movements) & after about half an hour I was feeling a certain amount of eye-strain.

7 oaks in Weybridge had a high definition live satellite feed & both looked absoloutely stunning via DVI, with the screenplay very marginally better (no rainbowing here). Bu for component I think I would go for the Sharp.

This just shows what good adviceall you guys give about making sure you demo before you buy. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to demo all the models we want to. This really does show how subjective pq can be on
    projector images from person to person i.e. are you one of those prone
    to rainbowing.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good comments. :)

The Z200E is a nice machine as long as the screen size is kept to 80" IMHO. I had one with a 92" screen viewed from 11' back and the pixellation was a bit more noticeable than I was happy with. Obviously this is a personal thing but do consider it.

3. marko1480

marko1480

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timbo

I have had the Sharp for a few weeks now, 92 inch Beamax screen and am loving it - no rainbows at all.

Demo'd the 5700 and noticed rainbows all over the place.

Went to Nexnix with the Mrs. and demo'd Sanyo Z3, Sonly HS50, Mitsubishi 900 and Sharp (in that order). Both were agreed after the Mitubishi that LCD technogy (Z3 in fact - HS50 too dim even though extremely quiet) was for us due to high noise and rainbows, but were persuaded to try the Sharp and suitably impressed.

Seems to be the only DLP in the price range with lens shift which has made positioning much easier.

Mark

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi MarK,

How was the mitsubishi 900? I'm going to try that soon.
    And you say the LCD's
    were too dark. It's interesting that the LCD's often have the same spec. as
    DLP's, but people say they are dimmer. The Sharp spec is 800 lumens, which I think might be 1 or 2 hundred lumens lower than Panasonic or Sanyo!

5. marko1480

marko1480

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

HC900 was top of my list from previous demo. Its bright, but noisy and both my wife and I saw rainbows everywhere whilst demoing Day after Tomorrow.

Z3 was fine for brightness but the HS50 was way too dim (but quiet enought to wonder whether it was on).

In a light controlled room the 800lumen output from the Sharp is fine - can't fault it really, and the lens shift made placement easy (esp. when I changed it to top-hung rather than shelf-mounted).

Best of all, still seen no rainbows am extremely pleased!

Mark

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Must admit I liked the Sharp as well, seems a good price/performance balance, the chap from Sharp UK I spoke to at Bristol knew he had a winner on his hands just from the look on his face.....Why oh why don't all pj's have vertical lens shift???