The Hurt Locker 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Only ever seen this once, don’t remember liking it much but might have to give it another go.

Thanks for the review Cas.

I haven't seen this for years but I remember thinking it was a great film at the time. Deffo checking this out.

Not easy or cheap to get this to the UK, shame as I would like to watch this again.

Didn't see this coming, thanks for the review, have this on Blu-ray may have to find a way to get the 4k.

Thanks for the review, Cas. Bloody shame it's so limited - hopefully we'll get a regular 4K release over here eventually.

Got the US version of this on iTunes/Apple TV..Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, I thought it looked and sounded great..still no substitute for the physical version...Nice review Cas.

its a great film but I don't like the way they make the brit special forces group look like a bunch of bungling amateurs....

Got this a little while ago but it's an amazing looking disc and the Atmos track is excellent.
Lionsgate is killing it with all these wonderful looking Steelbooks !
Can't wait for Universal Soldier to arrive in June 😍

Now that the BB steelbook of Hacksaw Ridge is getting a UK release on the 30 May hopefully The Hurt Locker will follow suit in due time rather paying the crazy import prices.

I'm seriously impressed that you received the disc, watched it and reviewed it in less than 24 hours!

Thanks for the review. It is a nice looking set and I'm a fan of the artwork. Nice transparent Slipcover too. Sounds like this could be reference atmos material. I'm looking forward to giving this a spin!

The Atmos soundtrack on this is amazing. There are some parts where sound literally seems to be coming from parts of my living room where there are no speakers. I know that's the whole idea but it's much more noticeable than I've heard before.

Last edited:
I can't say I'd be persuaded to buy this, compelling review aside; as I originally wanted to see Guy Pearce lead not Renner, the Brit's as needy idiots grated, as did that crazy drawn out tent scene build up and fight which felt so self-indulgent.
Apart from that, I loved it.

I hate to be the pedantic one but The Loveless was Bigelow's first film, which she co-wrote and co-directed in 1981. Anyway The Hurt Locker is a good film, it has its flaws, but still very good. Hopefully it will get a UK 4K release at some point in the future. Near Dark is still my personal favourite of hers though. I wouldn't mind a 4K disc of that, come on Arrow or Second Sight you know you want to. :D

I hate to be the pedantic one but The Loveless was Bigelow's first film, which she co-wrote and co-directed in 1981. Anyway The Hurt Locker is a good film, it has its flaws, but still very good. Hopefully it will get a UK 4K release at some point in the future. Near Dark is still my personal favourite of hers though. I wouldn't mind a 4K disc of that, come on Arrow or Second Sight you know you want to. :D

Meh. Co-directed.

its a great film but I don't like the way they make the brit special forces group look like a bunch of bungling amateurs....
Quite common in a lot of Hollywood films, Brits made to look second best. Best one was U571, pretty much took credit for retrieving the Enigma device and code books when it was actually the crew of HMS Bulldog.

Maybe better waiting for the forthcoming Ukrainian war hero films instead.

Always amazed at how good the rival Iraqi sniper did with an AK-47 wiping out the SAS and nearly getting Renner before the black guy suddenly transforms into Vassili Grigoryevich Zaitsev. 🤔

I liked the Hurt Locker even if it was no Full Metal Jacket, picked up the BluRay in a charity shop for £1 in mint condition helped... £40 I think not 😎

Last edited:
Ooh I love this movie. The best explosions in cinema I have ever heard. Just incredible. Would definitely be up for upgrading my blu-ray copy were it not for all the caveats.

Yes I paid crazy import price for the disc. But I'm glad I did. I'd be surprised about a UK release but who knows?

Late to the party but I've just managed to obtain the steel book from Zavvi...only had time watch the Guy Peirce scene that alone was amazing PQ amazing But the Dolby Atmos is Demo material....the explosion in the opening Scene really hit your gut ....it actually feels as if its passing through your room and over head sound has you looking up to your ceiling its that surreal .....A must see on 4k

I had got this a while ago and just watched it and it was great to see it again as it is such a brilliant film with some exceptional performances. But the sound - ooooft. This has to be the best Atmos track I’ve heard (and plenty have bowled me over). I loved the PQ as well. Fantastic

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom