The Hunt for Red October 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the Review Cas. This is one of my all-time-favourite Movies, so I was really happy to get my copy on Friday & we watched it last night.

Definitely a nice step up picture-wise; small items like the rain on Jim Greer's Coat when they arrive for the briefing, and as you said all the lights of the controls in the Subs stand out well. The higher definition DOES point out the age of the effects - the first scene with Ramius standing on the Conning tower of the Sub, & the last scene with Ryan & Ramius again on the Conning Tower, the fact that it is Blue Screen is very obvious, & the Rain effects in several scenes are so obviously added after; but this is nit-picking; with so much more perceivable detail while the Sub is in Red Route One that the tight turns had us glued to the Screen, even though we've watched this Movie maybe 30 - 40 times. :)

I am totally, completely biased, but this is a great 4K upgrade! :thumbsup:

God I love this film. Proper rainy bank holiday fodder.

The script is just perfect, not a spare line anywhere, endlessly quotable.

“It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our rockets. Now they will tremble again - at the sound of our silence. The order is: engage the silent drive.”

My all time favourite film of all time smashy :thumbsup:
I don't do the disc thing anymore but have this on iTunes in 4k and it's bloody brilliant.

Only want this film so waiting for it to be available on its own.

Only want this film so waiting for it to be available on its own.
I was really lucky - I pre-ordered it, & the Company I use must have received their stock early & sent it straight out - thus the Friday Arrival
Don't know the UK release date but it is fully available in Germany on September 27th.

I was really lucky - I pre-ordered it, & the Company I use must have received their stock early & sent it straight out - thus the Friday Arrival
Don't know the UK release date but it is fully available in Germany on September 27th.

I had a look on Amazon.de but could only find the Blu-ray.

Yes, yes it is.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for the links will be getting it ordered.

Thanks for the review Cas,my fav of this series,for some reason on my setup it didn't go into 4K UHD mode when i first play it,but got their in the end,but it did make me see the big difference in P/Q,this is a really good upgrade :)

£27 delivered ouch, think I will wait for a UK release.

£27 delivered ouch, think I will wait for a UK release.
Yeah, not cheap even with the cheaper shipping within Germany but I had to have it :)

I looked around a bit, but could not find any release date for it on it's own in the UK - if I read correctly (Was a bit of a cursory search, I must admit!), in the US they can only get it as part of the Jack Ryan Collection - hope that's not what they are also doing in Blighty!

Might end up going for the US set as it about £40-45

Or Down Periscope (2006)...Never mind :facepalm:

It's a great film.

But we all know Crimson Tide is the best submarine film of all time.

You 've obviously never seen Operation Petticoat

Or Das Boot....

Or Down Periscope (2006)...Never mind :facepalm:

Heh, I tried to avoid someone crying out Das Boot! by specifying that this was the greatest submarine action-thriller. Are there any other contenders for that title?

Heh, I tried to avoid someone crying out Das Boot! by specifying that this was the greatest submarine action-thriller. Are there any other contenders for that title?

Always had a soft spot for Ice Station Zebra myself but the story is not set wholly on the submarine so I guess that rules it out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom