The Hunger Games - The Unseen Version Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
The Hunger Games is much more than just a reworking of Battle Royale done for the Twilight generation.

Although you would be forgiven for assuming as much from the trailers and plot synopsis, it has the potential to be a much broader-scope franchise than Battle Royale, with a considerably broader appeal than anything that The Twilight Saga has to offer (as well as a better story, script, dialogue, characters, characterisation, performances, direction and action).

Indeed, if you’re prepared to forgive its somewhat familiar, sometimes predictable plot, and accept the young adult sensibilities; embracing this new Blockbuster franchise for what it is, then you’ll probably find yourself drawn into a 4-film series which has the potential to only get better with each successive, larger-scale instalment.

“May the odds be ever in your favour.”

Set in a dystopic, post-apocalyptic...

Read the full review...

Thanks Cas, great review !

I am one of those you refer to who has avoided this film thus far, but I have kept a watchful eye on it.

Your review tells me that I should certainly make an effort to watch it, I am just not sure if it's a BUY for me or a RENTAL off sky box office. Although the blu ray does appear to be good value with plenty of extras !

Maybe I will use the money to go see Ex2 again :)

Cheers Cas I will definitely catch this one now on your recommendation :smashin:

Maybe for the first time ever, I disagree with a review by Cas Harlow.

The Hunger Games was slow, long, predictable and childish. I am quite easy to please and I watch almost everything (except series), but this was close to unwatchable. I even thought of FF, which I never use.
It was good compared to Twilight of course, but please do not compare it to Battle Royale. Same rating as True Grit???

Gary Ross has also directed a great and a good movie, watch one of them instead.

Hunger Games was theatrically released in a 15-rated version WHAT???

There's no sign of a 15-rated theatrical submission at the BBFC...

Hunger Games was theatrically released in a 15-rated version WHAT???

There's no sign of a 15-rated theatrical submission at the BBFC...

Yup, it played at my local Vue on late night showings. Even had different 15 cert stamped promo posters.

So the "Unseen Version" is still derivative kiddy twaddle?

i found the movie quite lame to be honest, i sat through the whole thing but found myself slapping my forehead a couple of times... :facepalm:

That being said, our lass is a twilight fan and she loved it....:rolleyes:

So the "Unseen Version" is still derivative kiddy twaddle?

Yes, if you didn't like the film theatrically, this version - which is the US theatrical cut anyway - isn't gonna change your mind.

i found the movie quite lame to be honest, i sat through the whole thing but found myself slapping my forehead a couple of times... :facepalm:

That being said, our lass is a twilight fan and she loved it....:rolleyes:

I'm not surprised Twilight fans enjoy this, it was intended for them. But - as was the case with me - it does have the potential to reach a broader audience.

Thanks for the review Cas,going to give it a try :)

Yes, you definitely should, and do post back what you think, it's clear that this movie has split audiences quite noticeably.

Thanks, Cas

Maybe for the first time ever, I disagree with a review by Cas Harlow.

The Hunger Games was slow, long, predictable and childish. I am quite easy to please and I watch almost everything (except series), but this was close to unwatchable. I even thought of FF, which I never use.
It was good compared to Twilight of course, but please do not compare it to Battle Royale. Same rating as True Grit???

Gary Ross has also directed a great and a good movie, watch one of them instead.

Well there's a first time for everything, lol, I'm glad I've got such a good track record with you so far.

I agree with you - it had all three of those elements: it was a long movie; it had many predictable moments; and it was designed for a younger generation - I just didn't mind. And I can't wait for the next one to expand the whole scenario.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the comment though, hope the next review hits the mark for you!

Cas

Sorry but for me that's exactly what is was - with a dash of 'The Running Man' thrown in for good measure. 4/10

Each to there own mate, but I'm surprised that you didn't find it had better acting, direction, story and action than Twilight? 4/10 seems a tiny bit punitive. The presence of Jennifer Lawrence alone should tip that score.

Thanks Cas, great review !

I am one of those you refer to who has avoided this film thus far, but I have kept a watchful eye on it.

Your review tells me that I should certainly make an effort to watch it, I am just not sure if it's a BUY for me or a RENTAL off sky box office. Although the blu ray does appear to be good value with plenty of extras !

Maybe I will use the money to go see Ex2 again :)

Cheers Cas I will definitely catch this one now on your recommendation :smashin:

Sorry it's taken so long to reply mate, glad you enjoyed the review, thanks for the comment! :thumbsup:

As you can see, there are plenty who don't like the movie and don't agree with the review, but I'd certainly still give it a chance.

I hate the Twilight movies but for their unintentional comedy value (which only gets you so far). I was one put off by the whole Twilight vibe with this film. I was very cautious when I went to see it. Loved it.

If a non-Twilight fan can appreciate this film then there is still hope, lol! :smashin:

Thanks for taking the time, let us know what you think when you do get around to seeing it.

Cas

I think you might owe Peter O'Toole an apology he's not quite as "late" as you think he is.

I think you might owe Peter O'Toole an apology he's not quite as "late" as you think he is.

Haha, editing issue - I originally made the comparison with the late Richard Harris, but of course it was Toole in Troy, not Harris. Forgot to remove 'late' when I made the change. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cas

Very enjoyable movie, can't wait till the end of next year for Hunger Games 2.

Hated Hunger Games. Its starts strong but once you get to the Games its just so awful. The fighting story and acting is all far below par.

I honestly cant think of a good thing about this film. Twilight may not be cool to like but but has some really good visual moments. Hunger Games lacks in all areas.

The film lacks any real emotional portrayal or real action to draw you in. You never feel connect with te main characters as you never feel their lives are truly in jeopardy.

Biggest problem is Hunger Games is just a rip off/remake/Hollywood screw up of Battle Royale which is a much more emotional better set up better acted more violent and extreme film.

My advice to anyone who wants to watch this is skip it and watch the proper version.

The actual Games are boring.
No way would they go on for 74 years and people still watched.
The world the Hunger Games takes place in is interesting.
I was still thinking about the film the day after even though I was sometimes below entertained on the interest curve.

Why all the hate for hunger games? Didn't anybody like it?

I went to see it off the back of the cinema review you did Cas (which is the same I think?) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That said I was coming from the angle that it was a whole lot better than twilight, rather than the opposite end of the spectrum - that it was a sanitised version of battle royale.

I certainly want more from this interesting world and thought Jennifer Lawrence was a great lead.

Incredibly disappointed with this film. Too much money spent on costumes and wigs and not enough on story telling, plot and proper action sequences. I have no idea who this film was aimed at. Sequels? please god no.

Why all the hate for hunger games? Didn't anybody like it?

I went to see it off the back of the cinema review you did Cas (which is the same I think?) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That said I was coming from the angle that it was a whole lot better than twilight, rather than the opposite end of the spectrum - that it was a sanitised version of battle royale.

I certainly want more from this interesting world and thought Jennifer Lawrence was a great lead.

Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

Yes, same review, just a few tweaks here and there ;)

I'm surprised about the backlash, but perhaps the sequels will help convince the cynical. Or perhaps not :suicide:

The world the Hunger Games takes place in is interesting.
I was still thinking about the film the day after even though I was sometimes below entertained on the interest curve.

I agree - if this had been a one-off film it would have been a little more disappointing because it's a limited story told within a broader world, but it's the bigger picture which draws me back in and makes me want to know more from this world. A rebellion is coming... it can't always be about just the games...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom