The Hunger Games - The Unseen Version Blu-ray Review & Comments

I agree - if this had been a one-off film it would have been a little more disappointing because it's a limited story told within a broader world, but it's the bigger picture which draws me back in and makes me want to know more from this world. A rebellion is coming... it can't always be about just the games...

Just finished watching this. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect... I'd seen the TV ads with the array of 4-5 stars and great review headings and was really looking forward to seeing this.... Cas, I'll be honest, I always skip to your verdict score before watching one of your reviewed movies so I was even more excited to watch it after seeing the high rating.

Eventually after it finished, I wasn't sure how I felt. There are too many familiar elements from The Running Man and Lost, both which I loved when I watched them. Audiovisually I was very impressed... but the film itself I found a tad disappointing, mainly because it's a dark, twisted story but played out with a suggestion of the terrible violence and demise of the victims.... just felt odd really. Maybe I'm getting on a bit but I believe teen movies should be made for teens and more adult themes should be aimed at adults. I believe The Matrix did this and there is a lot here which reminds me of that trilogy. Here's the thing - I'm simply intrigued now as to how the story plays out. So I really like the story but the execution is flawed in my opinion (no pun intended!!). :thumbsup:

By the way folks, I haven't seen Battle Royale yet... am I in for a treat or a disturbing experience?! :rolleyes:

Sorry, forgot to add another couple of thoughts about the story.

Where stories such as The Running Man and Hard Target make sense in concept is the moral question of whether it's acceptable to have criminals kill each other and get killed. So one can imagine the audience in that society enjoying the games as such. What I just couldn't get my head round or accept at any point in this movie was why on earth would society become so damn depraved so as to enjoy watching innocent kids kill each other??!! What, just an post-apocalyptic evolution and now "this is how we role"?! Testicles I say! Just had to get that off my chest.

well Cas, ive still got faith in you..havent read the books, didnt see it at the flicks, havent read much about it..so im going in with a fresh pair of eyes..bought the steelbook in hmv..and intending on watching this over the weekend, even tonight if i get the chance...

i will report back, i must say, im surprised by the amount of people who have posted that dont seem to like it?

Here's the thing - I'm simply intrigued now as to how the story plays out. So I really like the story but the execution is flawed in my opinion (no pun intended!!). :thumbsup:

Yep, this definitely is the hook for me too, seeing the story expand within the wider dystopic world...

By the way folks, I haven't seen Battle Royale yet... am I in for a treat or a disturbing experience?! :rolleyes:

Both. Battle Royale is a fantastic film. But it's also tremendously dark and violent. Teens killing each other graphically. It has some serious punch though, and presents a far more realistic - albeit less future-based - scenario. Highly recommended!

Sorry, forgot to add another couple of thoughts about the story.

Where stories such as The Running Man and Hard Target make sense in concept is the moral question of whether it's acceptable to have criminals kill each other and get killed. So one can imagine the audience in that society enjoying the games as such. What I just couldn't get my head round or accept at any point in this movie was why on earth would society become so damn depraved so as to enjoy watching innocent kids kill each other??!! What, just an post-apocalyptic evolution and now "this is how we role"?! Testicles I say! Just had to get that off my chest.

I kinda see what you mean but the core Citadel is packed with the equivalent to privileged inbred Royals, so you can sort-of see why they've enjoyed watching the lesser mortals battle it out Gladiator-style. You're right, the teen angle is unusual, but perhaps it's been crafted out of a necessity to keep the labour force strong (i.e. once they're old enough to work, don't kill them!).

It's sick and twisted, but so are most of the people who watch it. The thousands (millions?) of viewers around the 12 cities are only really watching to see if their friends/loved ones survive. It gives them hope... lol

I agree that it was clearer in Running Man and Hard Target but, whilst HT was a closed loop story, I thought Running Man was an example of where they could have done a sequel. That's kind-of what we're going to see in Hunger Games. In Running Man, he takes out the gameshow, but what about the people in charge of ordering the slaughter of the unarmed protesters in the first place? What about the people who framed him and sent him to prison? That society is still screwed, it's just got one less sadistic gameshow on the TV.

Cheers for your comments, they're always appreciated :thumbsup:
Cas

well Cas, ive still got faith in you..havent read the books, didnt see it at the flicks, havent read much about it..so im going in with a fresh pair of eyes..bought the steelbook in hmv..and intending on watching this over the weekend, even tonight if i get the chance...

i will report back, i must say, im surprised by the amount of people who have posted that dont seem to like it?

Well mate, at least you know that if you don't like it, you won't be alone! (and if you do like it, then I welcome the support!) :thumbsup:

As I said, I hope that with a strong sequel, a few more might be swayed over. But I can see the animosity, particularly with films like Dredd proving that audiences are truly fed up with the whole PG-13 outbreak. Perhaps that's part of why HG has got so slaughtered in the comments.

I was definitely one of the cynical who didn't want to enjoy this film. I loved Battle Royale and hated the Twilight series, so why would I want a blend of the two?? But it won me over, and I hope it does the same for others.

Do let us know what you think over the weekend when you watch it :smashin:

Thanks,
Cas

finally got round to seeing this tonight, the visual and audio we great. but i found the film overall just average, slow predictable plot,
the games themselves were pretty boring, you didn't care about the characters, that got killed, as they were expendable anyway. if it had been on tv, i would have said it wasn't bad, but since this was on at the cinema, i would have wanted my money back as it was average at best with many themes that had been seen before in plenty of other movies.

i'm not going with the majority here, this is my unbiased opinion. i will be offloading this mule asap. as i have the steelbook.

other than the sexy jennifer lawrence to keep me awake occasionally when she got dressed up. but not enough to want to go back there :(

i wanted to be your trump card and gush about how great it was and everyone got it wrong, but i'm afraid i have to side with the majority on this one.

very disappointing

finally got round to seeing this tonight, the visual and audio we great. but i found the film overall just average, slow predictable plot,
the games themselves were pretty boring, you didn't care about the characters, that got killed, as they were expendable anyway. if it had been on tv, i would have said it wasn't bad, but since this was on at the cinema, i would have wanted my money back as it was average at best with many themes that had been seen before in plenty of other movies.

i'm not going with the majority here, this is my unbiased opinion. i will be offloading this mule asap. as i have the steelbook.

other than the sexy jennifer lawrence to keep me awake occasionally when she got dressed up. but not enough to want to go back there :(

i wanted to be your trump card and gush about how great it was and everyone got it wrong, but i'm afraid i have to side with the majority on this one.

very disappointing

Thanks for reporting back :thumbsup:

Sorry to disappoint, looks like this one really hasn't gone down well over the forums. Ah well, it's not the first time I've gone against the majority and, with all the Moore Bond films to review, it certainly won't be the last!! :suicide:

Cheers for keeping up with the reviews though mate, hopefully this will be the exception to the ones that you don't enjoy, rather than the new rule!

Cas

I saw this last night (on rental from LF).
I'd heard a fair bit about it, the noise it generated, but didn't actually know any of the story nor knew it came from a book.
The opening explanations made it clear it was from a book. With the initial 10-15 minutes, I was building my expectation that this was going to be something special. I noticed it was over 2h20m long so grabbed my bucket of popcorn.
As the games started, it was evident that the actual book was far darker than the film portrays and I immediately felt let down understanding straight away why - to hit that PG-13 certificate. Hell, even the title suggests "hunger" and there are a few references in the film to food and water being elements of survival yet this wasn't really shown in any way.
And whilst I thought at one point that "hey, it's a PG-13 because it has kids in it", I can only guess that the book shows a lot more of the psychology aspect and there's no way you can portray this fluffed down. Battle Royale didn't fluff it down at all with young kids having to learn and adapt fast to survive.

Still, I'll give it a chance. Part of me always wishes that as the sequel is a couple of years down the line, those around the 12-year old mark have also grown up so the sequeal could be more violent and realistic. :D

I love Running Man and agree there's scope for a sequel. Of course, shot in the 80s, it now looks comedy and camp. Here, a second outing of the HG franchise could be excellent providing (in my opinion) it doesn't remain toned down and goes more into the politics, character development and grittiness.

I don't understand how this film gets a 10 for audio. It's perfectly acceptable and does everything right but it's hardly a showcase for surround sound and bass response. There is plenty of atmosphere but not worthy of top marks.

love the hunger games, extra content on the blu ray was well worth it! if your a fan, go for it dont hesitate. cant wait for the sequel!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom