The Hunger Games - The Unseen Version Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Aug 23, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      The Hunger Games is much more than just a reworking of Battle Royale done for the Twilight generation.

Although you would be forgiven for assuming as much from the trailers and plot synopsis, it has the potential to be a much broader-scope franchise than Battle Royale, with a considerably broader appeal than anything that The Twilight Saga has to offer (as well as a better story, script, dialogue, characters, characterisation, performances, direction and action).

Indeed, if you’re prepared to forgive its somewhat familiar, sometimes predictable plot, and accept the young adult sensibilities; embracing this new Blockbuster franchise for what it is, then you’ll probably find yourself drawn into a 4-film series which has the potential to only get better with each successive, larger-scale instalment.

“May the odds be ever in your favour.”

Set in a dystopic, post-apocalyptic...

Read the full review...

2. Glenn01

Glenn01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,498
      Thanks Cas, great review !

I am one of those you refer to who has avoided this film thus far, but I have kept a watchful eye on it.

Your review tells me that I should certainly make an effort to watch it, I am just not sure if it's a BUY for me or a RENTAL off sky box office. Although the blu ray does appear to be good value with plenty of extras !

Maybe I will use the money to go see Ex2 again :)

Cheers Cas I will definitely catch this one now on your recommendation :smashin:

3. zizik

zizik
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Maybe for the first time ever, I disagree with a review by Cas Harlow.

The Hunger Games was slow, long, predictable and childish. I am quite easy to please and I watch almost everything (except series), but this was close to unwatchable. I even thought of FF, which I never use.
      It was good compared to Twilight of course, but please do not compare it to Battle Royale. Same rating as True Grit???

Gary Ross has also directed a great and a good movie, watch one of them instead.

4. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +585
      Sorry but for me that's exactly what is was - with a dash of 'The Running Man' thrown in for good measure. 4/10

5. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,799
      Thanks for the review Cas,going to give it a try :)

6. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,810
      Hunger Games was theatrically released in a 15-rated version WHAT???

There's no sign of a 15-rated theatrical submission at the BBFC...

7. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Yup, it played at my local Vue on late night showings. Even had different 15 cert stamped promo posters.

8. KBeee

KBeee

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      So the "Unseen Version" is still derivative kiddy twaddle?

9. mooperman

mooperman
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,887
      i found the movie quite lame to be honest, i sat through the whole thing but found myself slapping my forehead a couple of times... :facepalm:

That being said, our lass is a twilight fan and she loved it....:rolleyes:

10. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Yes, if you didn't like the film theatrically, this version - which is the US theatrical cut anyway - isn't gonna change your mind.

11. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      I'm not surprised Twilight fans enjoy this, it was intended for them. But - as was the case with me - it does have the potential to reach a broader audience.

12. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Yes, you definitely should, and do post back what you think, it's clear that this movie has split audiences quite noticeably.

Thanks, Cas

13. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Well there's a first time for everything, lol, I'm glad I've got such a good track record with you so far.

I agree with you - it had all three of those elements: it was a long movie; it had many predictable moments; and it was designed for a younger generation - I just didn't mind. And I can't wait for the next one to expand the whole scenario.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the comment though, hope the next review hits the mark for you!

Cas

14. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Each to there own mate, but I'm surprised that you didn't find it had better acting, direction, story and action than Twilight? 4/10 seems a tiny bit punitive. The presence of Jennifer Lawrence alone should tip that score.

15. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Sorry it's taken so long to reply mate, glad you enjoyed the review, thanks for the comment! :thumbsup:

As you can see, there are plenty who don't like the movie and don't agree with the review, but I'd certainly still give it a chance.

I hate the Twilight movies but for their unintentional comedy value (which only gets you so far). I was one put off by the whole Twilight vibe with this film. I was very cautious when I went to see it. Loved it.

If a non-Twilight fan can appreciate this film then there is still hope, lol! :smashin:

Thanks for taking the time, let us know what you think when you do get around to seeing it.

Cas

16. SkyFullOfHoles

SkyFullOfHoles
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I think you might owe Peter O'Toole an apology he's not quite as "late" as you think he is.

17. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Haha, editing issue - I originally made the comparison with the late Richard Harris, but of course it was Toole in Troy, not Harris. Forgot to remove 'late' when I made the change. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cas

18. Clive197

Clive197

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      Very enjoyable movie, can't wait till the end of next year for Hunger Games 2.

19. Nevaborn

Nevaborn

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +391
      Hated Hunger Games. Its starts strong but once you get to the Games its just so awful. The fighting story and acting is all far below par.

I honestly cant think of a good thing about this film. Twilight may not be cool to like but but has some really good visual moments. Hunger Games lacks in all areas.

The film lacks any real emotional portrayal or real action to draw you in. You never feel connect with te main characters as you never feel their lives are truly in jeopardy.

Biggest problem is Hunger Games is just a rip off/remake/Hollywood screw up of Battle Royale which is a much more emotional better set up better acted more violent and extreme film.

My advice to anyone who wants to watch this is skip it and watch the proper version.

20. anotherplain

anotherplain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24
      The actual Games are boring.
      No way would they go on for 74 years and people still watched.
      The world the Hunger Games takes place in is interesting.
      I was still thinking about the film the day after even though I was sometimes below entertained on the interest curve.

21. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +585
      This says it all :laugh:

Youtube - Honest Trailers - The Hunger Games

Can't embed it as it has a couple of naughty words

22. BRW

BRW

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +135
      Why all the hate for hunger games? Didn't anybody like it?

I went to see it off the back of the cinema review you did Cas (which is the same I think?) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That said I was coming from the angle that it was a whole lot better than twilight, rather than the opposite end of the spectrum - that it was a sanitised version of battle royale.

I certainly want more from this interesting world and thought Jennifer Lawrence was a great lead.

23. kalimon

kalimon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +129
      Incredibly disappointed with this film. Too much money spent on costumes and wigs and not enough on story telling, plot and proper action sequences. I have no idea who this film was aimed at. Sequels? please god no.

24. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

Yes, same review, just a few tweaks here and there ;)

I'm surprised about the backlash, but perhaps the sequels will help convince the cynical. Or perhaps not :suicide:

25. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      I agree - if this had been a one-off film it would have been a little more disappointing because it's a limited story told within a broader world, but it's the bigger picture which draws me back in and makes me want to know more from this world. A rebellion is coming... it can't always be about just the games...

26. DrGekko

DrGekko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      Just finished watching this. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect... I'd seen the TV ads with the array of 4-5 stars and great review headings and was really looking forward to seeing this.... Cas, I'll be honest, I always skip to your verdict score before watching one of your reviewed movies so I was even more excited to watch it after seeing the high rating.

Eventually after it finished, I wasn't sure how I felt. There are too many familiar elements from The Running Man and Lost, both which I loved when I watched them. Audiovisually I was very impressed... but the film itself I found a tad disappointing, mainly because it's a dark, twisted story but played out with a suggestion of the terrible violence and demise of the victims.... just felt odd really. Maybe I'm getting on a bit but I believe teen movies should be made for teens and more adult themes should be aimed at adults. I believe The Matrix did this and there is a lot here which reminds me of that trilogy. Here's the thing - I'm simply intrigued now as to how the story plays out. So I really like the story but the execution is flawed in my opinion (no pun intended!!). :thumbsup:

By the way folks, I haven't seen Battle Royale yet... am I in for a treat or a disturbing experience?! :rolleyes:

27. DrGekko

DrGekko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      Sorry, forgot to add another couple of thoughts about the story.

Where stories such as The Running Man and Hard Target make sense in concept is the moral question of whether it's acceptable to have criminals kill each other and get killed. So one can imagine the audience in that society enjoying the games as such. What I just couldn't get my head round or accept at any point in this movie was why on earth would society become so damn depraved so as to enjoy watching innocent kids kill each other??!! What, just an post-apocalyptic evolution and now "this is how we role"?! Testicles I say! Just had to get that off my chest.

28. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,855
      well Cas, ive still got faith in you..havent read the books, didnt see it at the flicks, havent read much about it..so im going in with a fresh pair of eyes..bought the steelbook in hmv..and intending on watching this over the weekend, even tonight if i get the chance...

i will report back, i must say, im surprised by the amount of people who have posted that dont seem to like it?

29. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      Yep, this definitely is the hook for me too, seeing the story expand within the wider dystopic world...

Both. Battle Royale is a fantastic film. But it's also tremendously dark and violent. Teens killing each other graphically. It has some serious punch though, and presents a far more realistic - albeit less future-based - scenario. Highly recommended!

30. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,184
      I kinda see what you mean but the core Citadel is packed with the equivalent to privileged inbred Royals, so you can sort-of see why they've enjoyed watching the lesser mortals battle it out Gladiator-style. You're right, the teen angle is unusual, but perhaps it's been crafted out of a necessity to keep the labour force strong (i.e. once they're old enough to work, don't kill them!).

It's sick and twisted, but so are most of the people who watch it. The thousands (millions?) of viewers around the 12 cities are only really watching to see if their friends/loved ones survive. It gives them hope... lol

I agree that it was clearer in Running Man and Hard Target but, whilst HT was a closed loop story, I thought Running Man was an example of where they could have done a sequel. That's kind-of what we're going to see in Hunger Games. In Running Man, he takes out the gameshow, but what about the people in charge of ordering the slaughter of the unarmed protesters in the first place? What about the people who framed him and sent him to prison? That society is still screwed, it's just got one less sadistic gameshow on the TV.

Cheers for your comments, they're always appreciated :thumbsup:
      Cas