The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas,
Sounds promising, Will look forward to seeing this one :)

Got a sneaking feeling I'm going to hate this just as much as the plodding, pointless, last entry !

Managed to miss this whole series of films to date, so plan on watching them all in one go when the blu ray box set comes out around Spring next year.

I've quite enjoyed these so far and after this review, i'm looking forward to the last instalment. Thanks :)

Quick question, a friend wants to see Part 2 so will be watching Part 1 before but do the first two films have anything to do with the Mockingjay stories?

Quick question, a friend wants to see Part 2 so will be watching Part 1 before but do the first two films have anything to do with the Mockingjay stories?
Erm, in a word YES !

Erm, in a word YES !

Yes, absolutely. The 4 films are from a trilogy of books that are a continuing story. Personally I wouldn't watch either parts of Mockingjay without watching Hunger Games then Catching Fire first.

Erm, in a word YES !

Yes, absolutely. The 4 films are from a trilogy of books that are a continuing story. Personally I wouldn't watch either parts of Mockingjay without watching Hunger Games then Catching Fire first.

Ah thanks, thought as much but couldn't be sure! Good job I've got them all queued up to watch over Christmas :)

Watched it last night and even the Mrs who's a big fan thought it was a bit boring and the story was pretty bad

Saw it a few days ago. Only seen each film once, and Part 1 only a few days before Part II. Definitely an improvement on Part 1, which does further the story, no matter what people say, but was too long. I guess if it had been 1h30m long, it would have been fine. Hard to see this final book working as one film because of the length of time that it all takes place in (same issue as The Dark Knight Rises). If you like the first two, then you will enjoy this final chapter as it is a fitting end to the series.

I really liked it, the end was exciting and awesome then the very end oddly underwhelming but really enjoyed it sad the saga is finished

I really liked it, the end was exciting and awesome then the very end oddly underwhelming but really enjoyed it sad the saga is finished
I thought the very end was really poignant, actually rather sombre and moving.

Last edited:
I thought the very end was really poignant, actually rather subtle and moving.

Agree. It doesn't have the same feel as the usual happy ever after ending of most films, so for a YA film to show that all the killing the heroine had to do has scarred her for life (which I believe follows the book's ending), is quite refreshing.

Agree with the review this felt very stretched out, doesn't reach the heights of the first two, and although the end copied the book I think it could have lopped a few minutes off the end of an overlong film anyway.

I was impressed with the worn torn capitol special fx though......

6/10 for me.....

Just got around to watching this. I quite enjoyed the first couple, but the third one felt very redundant. A relatively small story stretched over the last two films has hurt this series considerably.
There's several decent set pieces (And one that borrows heavily from Aliens), but I just didn't find the story compelling in any way. It says a lot when you honestly don't care if the lead characters live or die.
And quite frankly, having the likes of (the great)Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Woody Harrelson in the cast, but then giving them absolutely nothing to do, was pretty unforgivable too.

Very dull stuff.

5.5/10

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom