The House with a Clock in its Walls 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Noahdavid1984

I looked for this in HMV yesterday and they didn’t have it so I ordered the US version. Glad I did seeing as it has Atmos compared to the UK version

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
I got the US blu ray through the post last week, watched it on Sunday and the Atmos track is excellent.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
I thought the US version had a DTS-X track, not Atmos.

Edit: I got that from the photo on Amazon US. Looks like they have it wrongly pictured as DTS-X and it is Atmos. Sorry! :blush:

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
I thought the US version had a DTS-X track, not Atmos.

Edit: I got that from the photo on Amazon US. Looks like they have it wrongly pictured as DTS-X and it is Atmos. Sorry! :blush:
Had me questioning myself there lol
20190130_093446.jpg

meagabyte

Me and the wife have seen this a few times now and we really enjoyed it.
Its not a epic to span the ages of time but i found we could really get behind the charterers.
8/10 seems fair to me albeit the review made me think it would score much lower.

Roku2

Distinguished Member
I felt like the characters really did not glue together and the kid particularly was not a great cast

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Watched the digital copy some weeks ago, great colors and sound.
Enjoyed the film, great effects but I will not probably watch it again.
:D

encaser

Distinguished Member
Me and the wife have seen this a few times now and we really enjoyed it.
Its not a epic to span the ages of time but i found we could really get behind the charterers.
8/10 seems fair to me albeit the review made me think it would score much lower.
It did, 6/10 for the film. Which, in my opinion, goes to show there needs to be a rethinking of the overall scoring taking front stage on the posts that gives the impression of a different actual film score and so, perhaps, the film content score would be better suited?
@Simon Crust, you may wish to check the front page AVF header as you've got a spelling error with had.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I find it very annoying that I've to look at importing this title if wanting the Atmos soundtrack. Even the HD Blu-ray release has Atmos in the USA so why isn't the UK and or EU getting it?

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Universal mix their titles a bit,some come DTSx some with Dolby Atmos :confused:,but both can sound very good :)

The US release is as follows:

Video
Codec: HEVC / H.265
Resolution: Upscaled 4K (2160p)
HDR: HDR10
Aspect ratio: 2.39:1
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Audio
English: Dolby Atmos
English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Spanish: DTS-HD HR 7.1
French: DTS-HD HR 7.1

Subtitles
English SDH, French, Spanish

Discs
Blu-ray Disc
Two-disc set (1 BD-66, 1 BD-50)
Digital copy
Movies Anywhere
4K Ultra HD

Packaging
Slipcover in original pressing
Embossed print

Playback
Region A, B (C untested)

The House with a Clock in Its Walls 4K Blu-ray

There's not a DTS:X encoded version of this title. I believe that Amazon US have posted an image that indicates otherwise, but the actual release in the US only has Atmos as the main soundtrack DTS-HD HR is used for some of the alternative languages though.

Here's the offending image:
snapshot001.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/House-Clock-...ywords=the+house+with+a+clock+in+its+walls+4k

Last edited:

simonblue

Distinguished Member
The US release is as follows:

Video
Codec: HEVC / H.265
Resolution: Upscaled 4K (2160p)
HDR: HDR10
Aspect ratio: 2.39:1
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Audio
English: Dolby Atmos
English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Spanish: DTS-HD HR 7.1
French: DTS-HD HR 7.1

Subtitles
English SDH, French, Spanish

Discs
Blu-ray Disc
Two-disc set (1 BD-66, 1 BD-50)
Digital copy
Movies Anywhere
4K Ultra HD

Packaging
Slipcover in original pressing
Embossed print

Playback
Region A, B (C untested)

The House with a Clock in Its Walls 4K Blu-ray

There's not a DTS:X encoded version of this title. I believe that Amazon US have posted an image that indicates otherwise, but the actual release in the US only has Atmos as the main soundtrack DTS-HD HR is used for some of the alternative langues though.

Here's the offending image:
View attachment 1113991

https://www.amazon.com/House-Clock-...ywords=the+house+with+a+clock+in+its+walls+4k

Ment all their different titles :)

Tim2049

No way is this film 8/10...

7/10 perhaps. Even that feels generous. It was fine, but c'mon...

SLS72

I looked for this in HMV yesterday and they didn’t have it so I ordered the US version. Glad I did seeing as it has Atmos compared to the UK version

HMV being in administration means they haven't been getting deliveries of new releases unfortunately

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
The House With a Clock in Its Walls

They state that they've sold out. Whether they actually ever had it in stock is another matter?
I think the reference was to picking this up in store? The guy in my localish HMV told me they are not getting new releases in the shop. No idea if you can still order online and maybe get them delivered to the store?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think the reference was to picking this up in store? The guy in my localish HMV told me they are not getting new releases in the shop. No idea if you can still order online and maybe get them delivered to the store?

A lot if not all new titles are marked as "sold out" on the HMV site which kind of suggests HMV never actually had those titles in stock to begin with? Their supply chain does appear to be broken or not in operation?

terencejames

I quite enjoyed this. Not up there with some of Jack Blacks best but certainly a decent Friday night movie with the kids. Not sure I'd call Eli Roth a horror maestro though!

Roku2

Distinguished Member
This and The Predator are probably two of the worst movies of the year

Noahdavid1984

At first I hated the new predator and then when I watched again and took it for what it was it wasn’t so bad.
I’m looking forward to watching this movie

ch1z

I have to say it was a very mediocre film even for a kids film, it was also really oddly paced and I was never sure just what the target audience was? I did not rate the special effects at all and comedy horror is really really hard to do. It constantly reminded me of other films and felt like a real mish mash of different film franchises but did not stand out from the crowd.
Jake and Kate stood out when they were together. Like others have said it's not likely one that we would watch again.... It's a shame because i know there's a few books which they could draw on.
I also agree that there needs to be a bit of different rating system for the quality etc of the disc versus the actual rating of the movie, for example The Predator.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom