1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Horror Channel - It's being rejuvinated!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Aug 18, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Got this from the Sex, Gore, Mutants website...

The UK’s only dedicated horror TV station, The Horror Channel, has been bought by UK-based television broadcaster Zone Vision Networks and looks to be receiving an injection of cool new programming.

Zone Vision plans to rejuvenate The Horror Channel with new titles and classic horror films. The new programming will kick off in September with horror favourites such as Hellraiser, Children of the Corn Trilogy and a whole night dedicated purely to Troma classic cult movies.

The acquisition of the digital channel from founder Tony Hazell increases Zone Vision’s portfolio of thematic channels that includes Reality TV, Romantica (a favourite with SGM readers I'm sure), Club and Europa Europa.

‘Horror is a very popular genre right now,’ says Zone Vision’s Head of Programming and Scheduling Adam Robinson. ‘Our aim is to open up to a new audience, appealing to the mainstream viewer, as well as satisfying the existing hard core horror fan by acquiring cult movies.’

Adam Robinson says he also hopes to encourage new Horror film talent by establishing a portal for UK directors on The Horror Channel to send in their home-grown Horror movies to be shown on air.

What does this mean for horror fans? Well, here's some of Septembers highlights...

Thurs 1st Sept, 11pm - Hellraiser

Weds from 7th Sept, 11pm - Children of the Corn (parts 1 to 3)
    *all three will also screen back to back on Sat 25th Sept from 9pm

Friday Night Troma (every Friday from 2nd Sept (at 11pm)) kicking off with (wait for it)...

Bloodsucking Freaks

then each week after that...

Cannibal the Musical

Hellblock 13

Maniac Nurses Find Ecstasy

:clap:

Now, if they can just sort out the picture quality as well! :)

Pooch

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds good to me. Anything to stop them showing some of the rubbish that I've foolishly watched on that channel in the early hours. :blush:

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    What ever happened to the series that was reported to be shown before the channel opened The Night Stalker/Kolchak.

Every time I switch on to the channel its either Spider Baby or House on Haunted Hill.

4. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The Gorilla seems to be flavour of the month at the moment.

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Spider Baby's a classic :thumbsup:

6. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Perhaps they'll do something about the picture quality too. It often seems like I'm watching though a dirty window....

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I had great hopes for this channel, but what a pile of pooh they show.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Well, I've noticed that "The Satanic Rites Of Dracula" from Hammer is now being shown, so maybe they do have the rights to some Hammer films after all. Let's just hope they are the fullest, longest and most uncut versions possible, AND that they air them all in their correct widescreen ratio's where applicable.

Also, the picture quality issue seems to vary: there are some films that get shown, which look like an old 8-bit computer screenshot. Others however, are perfect or as near to perfect as they are going to get, bearing in mind the channel's limited bandwidth. But, then there are titles that get shown, where the print they are airing must be taken from an NTSC VHS print, because the quality is so dire, yet it isn't pixellating. This leads me to believe that they must be showing only the prints they are sent/get given, rather than trying to source good quality prints! :lesson:

Let's hope they get their act together. Oh, and I'd also ask them to reconsider there "certification" system. Advertising a horror film as being given a Horror Channel "C" rating, for caution, because it contains sex and violence or because it contains adult material, is a bit of an obvious statement. You may as well classify all horror films shown after 10pm at night as "C" for Caution! :rolleyes:

Why they don't simply stick to rating the films, with their original BBFC certificates, which almost everyone knows about, and understands. Oh well!

Pooch

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Actually, I think you'll find that "Pooh" never gets any airtime whatsoever. I think you're getting confused with The Disney Channel! :rotfl:

Pooch

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    That an other old chestnut being repeated a lot for about 3 plus months.