The Hobbit: Trilogy (4K UHD Steelbook) (FR/IT/DE)

SFkilla

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hobbit Trilogy (4K UHD) (6 Discs)

Purchase link:
Amazon.fr / Fnac.com
Release date: 16/12/2020

• 6 Discs
  • Theatrical & Director's Cut
  • Remastered 4K
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

full-jpg.1378647

------------

Purchase link:
Amazon.it
Release date: 02/12/2020

71yibudllul-_sl1417_-jpg.1378583

------------

Purchase link:
Amazon.de
Release date: 02/12/2020

411qEXXIgNL.jpg

Attachments

• 41VtcFMT3CL.jpg
    41VtcFMT3CL.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 61dxHh3PAZL.jpg
    61dxHh3PAZL.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 823
  • 71yiBUDLlUL._SL1417_.jpg
    71yiBUDLlUL._SL1417_.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 1,192
  • Coffret-Le-Hobbit-La-Trilogie-Steelbook-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD.jpg
    Coffret-Le-Hobbit-La-Trilogie-Steelbook-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 79
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I don't actually think these steels will be 4k and bluray, probably 4k only. The bluecats picture said x6 4k for the hobbit trilogy steels and x9 for the lotr trilogy steels.

To me that's x2 4k discs per hobbit steel and x3 4k discs (x2 for the extended) for the lotr steels. So while you could fit x2 4k and x2 blu in the hobbit steels, you're unlikely to have x3 4k and x3 blu in each lotr steel.

received_769750463811450.jpeg

I don't actually think these steels will be 4k and bluray, probably 4k only. The bluecats picture said x6 4k for the hobbit trilogy steels and x9 for the lotr trilogy steels.

To me that's x2 4k discs per hobbit steel and x3 4k discs (x2 for the extended) for the lotr steels. So while you could fit x2 4k and x2 blu in the hobbit steels, you're unlikely to have x3 4k and x3 blu in each lotr steel.

4K discs are available in three capacities,
- 50GB version at an 82Mbps read rate,
- 66GB version at 108Mbps
- 100GB version at 128Mbps.

In Theory 6 discs/steelbook is possible so time will tell.
In the meantime, i'll delete the details about the disks ;)

4K discs are available in three capacities,
- 50GB version at an 82Mbps read rate,
- 66GB version at 108Mbps
- 100GB version at 128Mbps.

In Theory 6 discs/steelbook is possible so time will tell.
In the meantime, i'll delete the details about the disks ;)
A 50GB 4k disc? Can't recall that being the usual? It's typically 66GB, or 100GB for lengthier. Anyway, that shouldn't really have any baring on the amount of 4k discs in these sets lol

Each theatrical lotr and hobbit film will easily fit on a single 4k disc, as will the extended hobbit (probably 100GB there). The extended lotr films will almost certainly need to be split across 2 discs each though, being 4-4.5hrs long per film. Laurence of Arabia 4k being split sets the president for the format there really.

So that accounts for each there, x2 per hobbit and x3 per lotr. Yes, x6 discs is possible with stacked steels, but I suppose we'll have to see if they're just 4k or combos! Personally I'd rather just the 4k discs in a bid to keep costs down, as there are no extras on the film discs anyway as far as I recall.

A 50GB 4k disc? Can't recall that being the usual? It's typically 66GB, or 100GB for lengthier. Anyway, that shouldn't really have any baring on the amount of 4k discs in these sets lol

Each theatrical lotr and hobbit film will easily fit on a single 4k disc, as will the extended hobbit (probably 100GB there). The extended lotr films will almost certainly need to be split across 2 discs each though, being 4-4.5hrs long per film. Laurence of Arabia 4k being split sets the president for the format there really.

So that accounts for each there, x2 per hobbit and x3 per lotr. Yes, x6 discs is possible with stacked steels, but I suppose we'll have to see if they're just 4k or combos! Personally I'd rather just the 4k discs in a bid to keep costs down, as there are no extras on the film discs anyway as far as I recall.

Sounds all much too complicated for me mate, i think i'll pass on these :D
I'll grab the movies if the standard blu-rays are remastered.

I am really liking the look of these. Shame they didn't do something similar for the Star Wars trilogies.

Could they use branching for the two editions or would that be horribly complicated?

What frame rate will The Hobbit have?

I am really liking the look of these. Shame they didn't do something similar for the Star Wars trilogies.

Could they use branching for the two editions or would that be horribly complicated?

What frame rate will The Hobbit have?
They could technically use branching, yes. Well, for the hobbit films anyway. With the extended lotr being split across 2 discs though, that would be more difficult to work the theatrical branching.

Judging by that promo flyer though it looks like it'll be x2 4k discs per hobbit and x3 4k discs per lotr.

Hobbit will almost certainly be in 24fps, as the native 48fps can't be used. Upsampling to 50 or 60fps would be fairly tricky to get right as well.

Shame they are not including any extra discs. They could probably fit all the HD extras on a single 100GB disc (per movie).
The hobbit extras might take more than a single 100gb disc i think. There was x2 Appendices 50gb discs per film, plus the 25gb special features disc with the theatrical releases. So that alone doesn't sound overlying feasible.

Lotr though, the Appendices were spread across x3 dvds!(i know) so i really hope those are remastered at some point! Even if they aren't, x3 SD discs can easily fit on a single 50gb bluray.

I've sold my lotr collection in the hope that their extras get upgraded to a bluray soon vs the dvds. I've held onto my hobbit collection though because 1. I want to keep the 3d discs and 2 because their Appendices are already on bluray.

I was thinking mostly of LOTR. Sounds like they could do LOTR in 3+1 and Hobbit in 2+2 which would still fit in the steelbooks.

I’m holding onto Hobbit for the same reason.

Germany already has a boxset (not steelbook) listed for December 3rd 2020.
States 6 discs for the Hobbit and 9 Discs for LOTR
Yup, same configuration as blucats and the bestbuy releases announced today too..

Artwork is pretty 💩 imo, so I'll probably be buying old steels and the 4ks separately.

350F345E-5107-480E-B3BB-658B65338DEB.jpeg
C3B3C6D8-CDF9-4DB2-B50E-979C6329FC67.png

Artwork is pretty 💩 imo, so I'll probably be buying old steels and the 4ks separately.
Has there been a decent old steelbook release? I had the Best Buy LOTR ones at one point, but the print quality was shocking and they had no inside art. Then there was the lonely Fellowship Extended jumbo.

Has there been a decent old steelbook release? I had the Best Buy LOTR ones at one point, but the print quality was shocking. Then there was the lonely Fellowship jumbo.
Nope, that's pretty much the lot for lotr.

The USA individuals and there has been jumbo for all 3 extended (the uk only had fellowship) in various international regions.

There have been a few trilogy steels released as well, but i believe they're also jumbo and/or with foreign titles.

The art (apart from the lack of on the inside) on the USA steels look great, is the print quality really that poor on them?

is the print quality really that poor on them?
Yep, think washed out blurry inkjet. Also had speckles of raw steelbook. I swiftly moved them on.
there has been jumbo for all 3 extended (the uk only had fellowship) in various international regions
Really? I never discovered those. There were some single extended editions for some Asian regions but these are very rare and not that great either (printed Blu-ray banner).

Last edited:
Yep, think washed out blurry inkjet. Also had speckles of raw steelbook. I swiftly moved them on.

Really? I never discovered those.
Ah. Shame, the front art is just about perfect on them. I should probably not bother with those then, especially since I know a hdzeta set is coming that I'll pay through the nose for :rotfl:

Yeah, parts of Europe, asia and india had all 3 jumbos i believe. Rarely see them up for sale though, that may very well change now when these 4k ones get released everywhere. I can't stand jumbos though personally.

French titles in France...
Full artwork attached below.

outside3-jpg.1378656
outside2-jpg.1378655
outside-jpg.1378654

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 137
  • front3.jpg
    front3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 118
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 116
  • inside2.jpg
    inside2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 133
  • inside3.jpg
    inside3.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 103
  • outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 712
  • outside2.jpg
    outside2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 609
  • outside3.jpg
    outside3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 606
Any confirmation on the Italian version, is the front of the steelbook going to be in Italiano? The pictures on Amazon show English, so I ordered there.

Any confirmation on the Italian version, is the front of the steelbook going to be in Italiano? The pictures on Amazon show English, so I ordered there.

Italian release steelbook should be identical to the UK with English titles.
If you look closely on the mockup i shared in the OP, you can see that the J-card used to cover the box shows Trilogia but the steelbooks and box show Trilogy.
So logically, English titles on the Italian.
You can always return these for free if they are in Italian as the description clearly shows English titles.

Italian release steelbook should be identical to the UK with English titles.
If you look closely on the mockup i shared in the OP, you can see that the J-card used to cover the box shows Trilogia but the steelbooks and box show Trilogy.
So logically, English titles on the Italian.
You can always return these for free if they are in Italian as the description clearly shows English titles.
Thanks! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom