1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The HK DVD 25 firmware

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Diapason, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hiya,

I picked up a loan of a DVD 25 yesterday, which I was told had been made multi-region and PAL Progressive enabled. Except it hadn't. So, assuming the dealer who gave me the loan doesn't have a problem with me doing the firmware upgrade (and I'm sure he won't, but I'll obviously ask him), I have a question.

The firmware on the Apache site has been around for quite a while. However, the firmware on the HK site (which doesn't include multi-region, obviously) is *very* new. One of the zip files is dated this month. Would I be missing anything by using the Apache upgrade? Does anyone know if there were recent changes made to the HK "official" upgrade? Should I just go ahead and use the Apache one and never think about it again?

Any comments gratefully appreciated!

Si

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you need MR then dont use HK firmware, but it will be the latest and should solve the Flag issue for PAL discs. Do you have a link to the latest firmware?
    Apache works well but doesnt sort all the flag issues IIRC have a search as this has been discussed in depth.

3. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Aha, thanks for the info hornydragon. I had read a little about the flag issue alright, so that makes sense.

That leaves me in a bit of a quandary now. I have a fairly even mix of R1 and R2 discs. I think I'll stick with the Apache firmware for the moment.

Cheers,

Si

4. Coaxial

Coaxial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ooh, haven't heard about this one... has someone finally solved that annoying subtitle glitch?
    can you have your cake and eat it - pal prog, MR, and no random subtitles?
    Used to sell loads of these beasts, was my favourite sub 600 quid player, if you could live with that glitch...