The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Another potential cinema visit I'll now avoid. I'll happily watch this when it streams (for free), but that's it. Shame, I was hoping it would recapture the fun of the unexpectedly solid original.

That's disappointing, as I love the first one :(

Thanks for the Review Cas.
Sounds bad, but..... Hayek, Reynolds, Jackson - I can not not watch this.
And if I want recent Reynolds at his best, any of his Aviation Gin adverts fills that need!

Hi,
I watched this today and it was just what we needed after a long time out of the Cinema.
It’s a fun movie and was laughing all the way though it agreed it’s no masterpiece but that’s not why you see this kind of film.
Don’t be put off by this review go see it and make your own mind up.
It’s a solid 8/10 film for me.

Jackson's agreement to take projects has always been directly linked to the amount of hours it will buy him on the golf course, so unless it's popping up to play Nick Fury for a few days work, short films or voiceovers, he would have to be paid a hell of a lot of money to star in a movie these days - and probably wouldn't be too bothered about the quality of the starring role.

Jackson's agreement to take projects has always been directly linked to the amount of hours it will buy him on the golf course, so unless it's popping up to play Nick Fury for a few days work, short films or voiceovers, he would have to be paid a hell of a lot of money to star in a movie these days - and probably wouldn't be too bothered about the quality of the starring role.

I mean, you're absolutely right that he's probably very money driven by this point, but he does still appear to be reasonably committed to having fun (not quite Cage-level commitment, but LEAGUES away from Willis).

He even tried his best in Spiral.

As per the review, he was probably one of the better things about the movie, I'm just surprised he didn't find a better mojo with Hayek or question some of the inanity of the story this time out - the first movie was a blast, get this one right, and you really have a fun little, modestly budgeted, franchise which he can participate in for the next few years, and make good return at the BO.

"Hey Ryan, you're just not being funny. Shut the fudge up and go rewatch Deadpool because your shit has been unfunny for a minute here, motherfudgeer." [The swear filter does not make you sound cool, Mr Jackson]

I have to say, I'm tired of people ragging on the multimillionaire that is SMJ and his only taking projects to fund his golf habit. That's an expensive game, yo. But, yes, I agree that he really does at least try to elevate the 💩 out there and should be commended for it. When there's a swear, or even not for the kids, he's there, whiny frog snitches.
Ryan Reynolds similarly should be canonised. If he isn't using the money from all his 💩 to further his expensive gin alcoholism campaigns; that the subpar (wink to, SMJ) classes can aspire to, then he and his wife are busy telling everyone that they are in fact an underclass of miscreants: due to apparently fateful skin colour and unfortunate good luck and so thus far, never disclose or give millions away to highlight this disability of conscience. Blessings.
And, Cas, I know you don't wholeheartedly like number scores for films but who hurt you as a pupil and made you project such a low score here? Look to IMDB, son. See your error. Even those low minded, vulnerable back of the bus first-cousin'- bumpin' KBW inbreeds sought the heart to give it 6.6/10. C'mon, son!
Yeah, didn't particularly rate the first so thanks. I'll avoid dos...💩🚽

"Hey Ryan, you're just not being funny. Shut the fudge up and go rewatch Deadpool because your sh*t has been unfunny for a minute here, motherfudgeer." [The swear filter does not make you sound cool, Mr Jackson]
Jackson was the weakest element in Kingsman. Yes, I understand what he was doing, but it just looked like goofing around.

As for Reynolds - just make sure he doesn't watch the second Deadpool, as that would send him in the wrong direction.

I'll still give it a go. I liked the first film, so feel duty bound to try the sequel. I'll wait for it to appear on cheap 4K BR though.

Having an Unlimited card, so have a high tolerence for poor films (seeing pretty much all releases), but this was just terrible. What worked in the better than expected first one, in this sequel is just unfunny, repetitive from prev film (not always a bad thing but has to be done better than this) and felt a lot longer than its 100 minutes.

I have to say, I'm tired of people ragging on the multimillionaire that is SMJ and his only taking projects to fund his golf habit. That's an expensive game, yo. But, yes, I agree that he really does at least try to elevate the 💩 out there and should be commended for it. When there's a swear, or even not for the kids, he's there, whiny frog snitches.
Ryan Reynolds similarly should be canonised. If he isn't using the money from all his 💩 to further his expensive gin alcoholism campaigns; that the subpar (wink to, SMJ) classes can aspire to, then he and his wife are busy telling everyone that they are in fact an underclass of miscreants: due to apparently fateful skin colour and unfortunate good luck and so thus far, never disclose or give millions away to highlight this disability of conscience. Blessings.
And, Cas, I know you don't wholeheartedly like number scores for films but who hurt you as a pupil and made you project such a low score here? Look to IMDB, son. See your error. Even those low minded, vulnerable back of the bus first-cousin'- bumpin' KBW inbreeds sought the heart to give it 6.6/10. C'mon, son!
Yeah, didn't particularly rate the first so thanks. I'll avoid dos...💩🚽
You lost me with whiny frog snitches, but that was an excellent rant. Even though I don't agree with you on everything you said.

I'll still give it a go. I liked the first film, so feel duty bound to try the sequel. I'll wait for it to appear on cheap 4K BR though.
Rental all the way for me, Baby!

Shame, although not unexpected. The wife was a pretty lame character in the first movie and moving centre stage wasn't going to work.

Shame, although not unexpected. The wife was a pretty lame character in the first movie and moving centre stage wasn't going to work.
The Blond hair on Salma Hayek in the pic on the review page - not her best look.

Last edited:
Sounds like a solid rental. With enough Pizza and wine to dull the 1st hour.

Cheers Cas!

I was hoping for better from this. That said, the first film doesn't re-watch well, I thought it was great first time round but watching it back it just grates.

Watched it on Wednesday, had hopes it would be on par on the 1st one at-least.
But this was a poor sequel and worst thing for me about this film was Salma Hayek gawd her acting just gets worse the older she gets.🤦‍♀️

Watched it on Wednesday, had hopes it would be on par on the 1st one at-least.
But this was a poor sequel and worst thing for me about this film was Salma Hayek gawd her acting just gets worse the older she gets.🤦‍♀️
Bodes well for Eternals.
Seeing this tomorrow, on IMAX no less.

Reading this movies review is about as far as I will go until it shows up on Prime Video or Netflix in a few months time.
I would imagine that all the actors in The Hitmans Wifes Bodyguard must be laughing all the way to the bank, some like Morgan Freeman and Antonio Banderas have long since given up any pretensions as far as A-List movies are concerned, and Ryan Reynolds is one of those actors that you either like or you don't as basically he just plays a sardonic sometimes camp Hollywood version of himself with minor character changes for a little bit of variation.
The films only minor claim to fame in Australia is that this movie contributed to an area shutdown as a COVID infected person was traced to a cinema showing this movie, welcome to the new reality.

The title itself tells me to avoid. Thanks for the review Cas

Thought it was fun tbh, not as fun as the original but still watchable thanks to star quality. Relies on rather too much on mother funster being repeated as nauseam. 6/10

Loved it … 8/10. It was a fun movie ….. many taking it far too seriously IMHO. All 3 leads were great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom