1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hitachi Thread

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dUnKle, Dec 3, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Hello :hiya:

Inspired by the "get your plasmas out ......" thread and also by numerous emails I have recieved regards my 42PD5200 I would try and get a thread running to answer peoples questions about Hitachi sets and for proud owners to show them off

It seems the 5200 and 5300 are real marmite sets and I admit to start with I thought I had wasted my money - but after fidlling with settings etc I know have one gorgeous picture and has zero problems when watching football on Sky

So what do other owners think ?

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    My current system consists of ...........

An Hitachi 42PD5200 (which has connected via DVI)
    a Denon 1900

Picture quality is FANTASTIC - however for the first time last night I noticed a small amount of grain for around 10 seconds or so when watching the R2 of King Arthur

I have found that when connecting via DVI the picture settings are drastically different than from when using Scart or Component (will post later)

For all other inputs I actually have all NR OFF and Black Enhancement ON (minimum) but for DVI its the other way around

Also I have SKY+ which is connected by a £17.99 THOR scart cable

I used to have connected via a £50 QED cable and the pictue was not half as good. Hvae no problems with any smearing, ghosting or blocking when watching football and the only problems I do have (still) appear to be with a few programmes on BBC1 (mostly Eastenders) where I do get some smearing - this however I think is down more to them than me

Will post pics and settings later

3. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    32PD5300
    Does the job perfectly for what I wanted. Looks great, great picture, very pleased, up there with CRT and the footy is very clear to watch.

Different circumstances and I'd have gone for either the 5200 or the PWD6 or 7 as they give a belting picture.

4. jtenniswood

jtenniswood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a pd5100 just for a media center pc, so dvi all the way.
    Qualities amazing, completely blown me away.

Now just to get the damn thing up on the wall...

5. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Great idea Duncan!

I too was a bit worried when I first got my plasma. My father in law has a 32" Sony LCD which does have a fantastic picture & I thought I should have bought the same. But I wanted a bigger screen. Now I am happy. I have tinkered quite a bit & now have a pretty decent picture. I think you're right though. Many of the picture problems are due to poor quality from the broadcasters.

Hopefully this thread can be made sticky and we can use it to find out more about what we can do with our Hitachi's.

6. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I love my 5300. In hindsight I may have gotten the 5200 for the DVI input, but JL didnt do the 5200. PQ is just the same tho, ALSO the Hitachi is very wife friendly, she didnt like the look of the Pannys. Pio yes, but I couldn't stretch to that. My mate did tho, and I can't honestly say it's any better PQ (Sky or DVD) than the Hitachi.

By the way, is MAW banned from this thread ;)

7. DigitalSmurf

DigitalSmurf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..the 42PD5300 that is. Looking for the last few months I saw the price drop and there are now at half-dozen websites that can offer the whole thing mail order for just under £2100. Are these kosher? Where did y'all get yours from...

Any advice welcome :lease:

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got a 5300 (although it's only because I managed to get Hitachi to replace a buzzing 42PD3000).

I've got the following connected to it: Sky+ on AV2, XBOX on AV3, Arcam DV79 on AV4 (component), Linksys Media Adapter connected to the front (all AV gear in cabinets so you can't see the media box) and a VGA cable permanently connected so I can use my laptop or PC whenever I want. I haven't got the speakers connected as the amp handles sound from all inputs. Screen is wall mounted.

Picture quality is generally very good and fantastic with DVD. Tried some HiDef video clips from the PC the other day (PC running at 1920*1080) which looked amazing.

All in all i'm delighted with the screen.

John

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    I have wandered about connecting my PC to the set - would I get a good picture via VGA ? (will be connected to a 9800pro)

What res should I use

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Got mine from RGBDirect - delivered in 48 hours. Note that they charge extra for plasma deliveries - mine cost £45 but they do use their own delivery team, not a national courier who might not treat your beloved plasma with the respect it deserves !

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I've got an Asus Digimatrix PC connected to my 5300 via the VGA port. This PC looks like a DVD player, so it looks good in the lounge, when used with a wireless KB & mouse. I use 1024 x 1024, and it's fine.

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Don't forget us PD3000 owners. :hiya:

I have had a 32PD3000 for about 19 months now and still love it. Great picture and not the size of a pygmy hippo. Only thing that I would have liked, that the 32pd5200 has is the detachable speakers as I don't use them.

I have on AV1 a JVC S-VHS, AV2 a Pace OnD DTR730 box, AV3 a Humax PVR8000T and on AV4 a Arcam DV88+ dvd and it handles them all beautifully.

At last a positive thread about Hitachi's for all us happy users. :)

13. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I too am a happy pd5200 owner.
    I started reading negative comments about the Hitachi AFTER I'd ordered, so was wondering what to do with it when it arrived (I.E. turn it into a coffee table, or use it as a radiator!)
    But once I switched it on I could see that it had a very good picture via Sky. Also, positive comments from the likes of DuncanWardle and Johndon helped to put my mind at ease.
    If you look for faults, you will probably find them, but overall I'm happy with it, considering what you'd pay for a Pioneer.

14. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Im glad others feel the same and there are happy owners - my set cost £2500 just after it came out but I love it and feel its money well spent

It currently looks like this .........................

[​IMG]

and I love it.

Will have a go (if I can find my VGA cable) of connecting PC to it

Just need to work out how to set res to 1024 x 1024 - I belive I need powerstrip but no idea how - if anyone wants to tell me (and im none too clever) that would be grateful

Also for anyone who is interested here are my settings

RGB INPUT

Picture Mode natural
    Contrast -11
    Brightness +2
    Colour 0
    Sharpness 0
    Colour Temp Warm
    Contrast Mode Normal
    YNR Low
    CNR Low
    FILM MODE On
    LTI low
    CTI low
    Black Enhancement off

DVI Input

Picture Mode Natural
    Contrast 0
    Brightness 0
    colour +7
    Sharpness -10
    Colour Temp Warm
    Contrast Mode Dynamic
    YNR high
    CNR high
    LTI high
    CTI high
    Black Enhancement low

IMPORTANT - the BIGGEST difference that I found was turning OFF the colour management

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You just change the display settings on the PC - no other adjustment on the Hitachi, other than "Wide" or "Normal". Just go to the Windows display settings and choose 1024 x 1024

16. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    I dont have that option :(

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Does your version of Windows not allow you to display all the available screen modes ?

In Windows XP, it's.....

Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Display >> Settings >> Advanced >> Adaptor >> List All Modes

You should be able to select something close to 1024 x 1024 - I don't think the setting matters that much, because the screen can accept many modes.

18. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    thanks for that - def no 1024 by 1024 though

19. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Here's a pic of my current setup:

John

Attached Files:

20. telmanning

telmanning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent idea Duncan,

The forums are very pro Panny, nice to get in contact with happy Hitachi owners

Had my 42PD5200 2 weeks now overall pretty happy with it. I have been overseas with work so havent had a chance to do much with settings. Wife reports that in some programs (BBC on terestial and RGB via Sky+) faces seem to 'smudge' a bit with quick movement. Very good on DVD even with my old Scan 2000 DVD player, should take delivery of my Samsung HD945(DVI out) this week so will report on what that is like.

Got mine from BOS Electronics in Ruslip, £2050 Went and picked it up as they are only 50 miles from where i live in Oxford, shop on main high street and they are very helpfull, mind you their web site looks like it was done by my 7 year old.

I guess its 'run in' now so i will try the settings Duncan posted.

Have tried my Siemens laptop (1024x768) via PC socket - played a few games and it was pretty good.

Tel
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Denon AVR3802, Sony SS-LAC500 speakers + SS-LAC505 Center +SA-WX900 sub, Samsung HD945 DVD (soon!), Sky+

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nick UK, I'd love to see 1024 x 1024 listed on your PC, I might not be so anti hitachi. 'Something close' is just not native res, you've either got it or you haven't.

22. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My plasma setup so far. I'm going to lower the shelf & sit my centre speaker
    on top of my Sky+

Attached Files:

23. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412

Hi Maw

How you doing

is 1024 x 1024 a res that a PC can output at all ? do you need powerstrip for it ?

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hiya, it's not the pc that can't send it, it's the plasma that can't receive it. Shame, all those pixels and you just can't quite get to them. You would need powerstip to get it, but no profit in it.

Micol, do your speakers smoke at all when you turn on your amp?

25. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    MAW, What do you mean??

PS. No, they don't.

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm not entirely sure what the resolution of the PC is set to. It might be 1024 x 768 - as soon as I can prize my wife away from it, I will take another look. I'll try to get a photo too.

27. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    I think its cos they look like candles :)

MAW - still do not fully understand - if I send 1024 by 1024 will the Hitachi not accept it - sure thats whats down as its maximum res

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pixel count, not maximum res. Hitachi are not unique in this flaw, look at the threads about Pioneer and HDMI. The difficulty with displaying this from a PC is the interlaced thingy, you need to send 2 x 512 pixel fields, it doesn't work. But I'm on dangerous ground, I don't want to be provoked into a negative statement, it's your thread guys!

29. chimera

chimera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to get my new 3000. Got it with a free VCR for 1800 all in from colour trade. One question, what is the best freeview box to get, fancy one with a dvd combined and what is the best way to connect it all up.

30. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, I honestly do not understand why you still bother replying to questions around the Hitachi's, for the life of me... :rolleyes:
    Seriously, you should give Hitachi a break, for everyone's (including yours) sake.

micol, DuncanWardle, the Hitachi's (and many others like some Sony, Philips, Fujitsu, etc...) use a plasma glass based on a technology called 'ALiS'. Do a search with this term and you'll find many, many answers.

To make it simple: these glasses have a 1024x1024 matrix but are designed such that they do NOT display all 1024 rows simultaneously, instead they display 512 rows alternatively, odd rows first then even rows, each 1/60th of a second. So in reality they should be called 1024x1024i.

Consequently it's virtually impossible to drive these glasses to their native resolution, because whatever signal gets in gets first upscaled to 1024 lines and then displayed in an interleave fashion as described above.
    <one notable exception: 1080i HD signals get "cut" down to 1024 (instead of downrez'ed, for better PQ), but that's another discussion all together>

This stands true for PC signals as well; from all I've read on many fora and actually tried myself, 1024x768@60 is the input resolution that gives best results with a PC, in terms of text clarity, picture sharpness etc... Normally you shouldn't have to tinker with your PC's graphics card timings and stuff (no need for Powerstrip) to get that to work, actually by default (when powered-up) the Hitachi tells the PC to set itself to that resolution and off it goes.

<I'd actually like to try a 1024i or 1080i resolution, but not all graphics cards are able to do this, and 1024x768 gives *excellent results* anyway, text is pretty crisp, the windows desktop fairly sharp, Web browsing/Word/... a breeze (that's esp. for MAW to read... :D ).
    TBH though, as for anything else, YMMV; for instance I'm not too sensitive to line flicker, so your perception might be different from mine >.

Hope this clears things out a bit. ;)