The Hillingdon Trail with the Tokina 12-24

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by senu, May 2, 2007.

1. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Nice day, Blue skies, time off work, Inspired by a few here ( Photo therapy ect...) recently I decided to take a walk around Hillingdon and the Yeading Area with my Tokina..
    No lakes in sight.. no Hills just urban greenery (This is West London!!)

The images seem much softer than prior to uploading, I didnt sharpen in PP though
    Yeading Marina

[​IMG]

A footbridge over the canal

[​IMG]

A view from the bridge
    [​IMG]

Another view ( other side)
    [​IMG]

Bridge approach ;)
    [​IMG]

A barge ( boat??) passing by
    [​IMG]

A solitary swan going home for dinner
    [​IMG]

Feel free to comment or dismiss :cool:

2. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    I like the quirkiness of the last shot.

Lovley blue skies in the others.. I was stuck in the office all day :(

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks ,as usual the reality was much nicer ( and the RAW files much more vivid)

Im not sure what im doing wrong: What is your work flow from card to embedding here?
    For these I converted to jpegs resized first, in resizing, I chose 72ppi, and 800 pixels but left the resample, ect checked , then very light shapen ( only on the last one)
    I seem to have degraded the image:rolleyes:!

Another..

[​IMG]

4. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Pretty much the same as me.

800 pixels really isn't that much to play with, so you're going to lose lots of detail that way. Also, with the fine detail in the trees, compressing the files down to 200kb (or 240+ in your case :rolleyes: ) is going to have a negative effect on relative sharpness. All the k's will be spent resolving that detail at the expense of all the other edges and areas of flat colour.

When sharpening 800 pixel images you need to go easy, with a very small radius and less than about 80% sharpening.

To be honest though - they look good to me. I think you may be spoiling yourself with the high res images :smashin:

This last one you posted is the nicest of all of them IMO - but I think the sharpening is a touch over cooked.

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks , I did use that sort of sharpening but I think i did it twice:eek:,

This next one from Yeading Marina may have just hit the spot

[​IMG]

6. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    didn't realise you had canals and barge's in london!!!! you wouldn't realise you were in london until you look at the bridge with the graffiti on :rotfl:

like the blueness of the sky in quite a few of the pics and i like the colours from the Yeading Marina picture espeically the red and blue on the barge in the bottom right corner.

the tokina lens seems to do a good job. after today i'm thinking should a 10-20 lens be on my shopping list before the 70-300is that i was going to buy in the near future, suppose theres always my flexible plastic friend if i want both :rolleyes:

7. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    It certainly does senu :thumbsup:
    I also find getting the sharpness right a bit tricky at times, especially after resizing. I've read lots of tutorials on the subject but not many cover sharpening an 800 X 800, 200kb limit image :D

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks, These lads get around with the spray can dont they??. I did say they were nothing as nice as yours with the Lakes:rolleyes:

In reality the scenes were "soothing " though

The UWA lens has its uses for panoramic views , For landscapes I think the wide end of a standard zoom can be fine .. up to a point , and theres always stitching:)

Thanks , Ill have a go at redoing the first lot... or better still hope the dull morning brightens up .. I can always have another go, maybe find a few more interesting spots

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Yeading Marina again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    You didn't mention it Senu. But make sure you're not using the default photoshop save as jpg command. It's poor compared to the "save for web" command - personally I use a really old version of Macromedia Fireworks for jpgs as it just seems to get filesizes smaller.
    Also if you use 'save for web' or Fireworks you can enter the 200k limit and it will do the rest.

I haven't got any experience with anything other than PS though, so don't know about Elements, Lightroom, etc.

For me the one you say 'hits the spot' seems to be fine in the foreground but the ringing around the trees is distracting (same with the last one too).

11. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    This is indeed true, you have far more control of the compression. By using selection channels, you can control the areas of compression even further. However, it strips the exif data - which is a real pain if you're uploading your images to flickr, or entering the monthly comp.

12. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks .. The only problem with save for web is that it strippes off Exif Data.

I actually did these using an old ver of Elements ..ver 3:blush:!
    I guess its time retire it permanently and install ver 5 and CS2 which Ive been too (lazy ?) to install on this particular PC.

Will it make a difference.? . I'm about to find out;)

Thankfully the original RAW files are still intact in glorious colour and nicely sharp
    Its also an incentive to go out there and take a few more!

PS: Liquid was quick off the mark.. I guess For flickr or the monthly comp Ill avoid it, for anything else, give it a go.Elements does have "save for web" too

13. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I workflow the RAW images, then do all the PP on the resultant full size jpegs. To convert to a size fit for AVF I just run through Picassa 2 and use the 'Export to Folder' option. Set the width to 800 and adjust the quality to fit under the 200 kb limit. You may need to experiment a bit but this seems to work for me and keeps all the exif data intact. The 'save for web' option in PS often gives a file size far too small, I find (as well as stripping the exif).

14. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks.. a lot of trial and error with these packages awaits me ...:)
    I find that the Sharpness In Canon DPP ( Which I use for RAW) is very subtle and very seldom use it as my understanding of sharpening is that you leave it till very last

15. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Some nice pictures there mate. my favorite being the bridge pic (with the graffiti on it) as I like the perspective :smashin:

16. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    I wondered why my pics had the exif data stripped and i use the save for web option!

I think I've just been bitten by the DSLR buying bug and now want an OWA as well! I've just started to use autostitch and am very impressed with the software and it's free. this will get me buy for now until funds allow me to buy an UWA

17. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Nice selection of shots Senu :thumbsup: Gotta get myself an extra wide lens soon :rolleyes:

In terms of re-sizing, I do my RAW conversion stuff in Capture, then out in a .jpg, then additional tweaking in Elements 5 before resizing, sharpening (around the 40-50%) and border adding ;) .

The next bit is where I differ because I keep my filesize to around 600kb, and then link to the 'medium' version on flickr, let's me keep the quality a bit more in the linkable large version, but the medium versions also look ok to me and are under the required file size.

One thing to be careful with doing it this way is if you oversharpen, the medium version can look pretty horrible, hence why my sharpening has gone down a bit, for the better i feel :)

18. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Many Thanks , I guess my "newly learnt" small to large link ( from you ) on the other thread will get more use too

I dont use Capture ( should as I have the licnece key from Sandisk) and as said earlier, its time that PSE5, CS2 and picasa2 got installed

As I said , the Canal and its surroundings looked so much nicer in real life. It makes you appreciate how lovely some of the images we see here must have looked to the photographer at time of shooting them

19. fuzed

fuzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    quite impressive considering theres not a massive around hillingdon/hayes/uxbridge areas.. (lived there since 1986).

Nice shots mate, love the deep blue's of the skies... shame the weathers sooo bad today! :)

20. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks ,
    The sun has come out now though. :)
    If you leave your car , ( I parked mine and walked for a few miles) it is amazing just how much " Green belt " land there is in this area

From Sipson, to Ruislip, North Hillingdon to Yeading (Glencoe) and even Around the Hillingdon Hospital towards Yiewsley and West Drayton there are "pockets" of Green which are far away from the maddening crowd

21. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Hi Senu,

Like all of them but the bridge support is a beauty .........its a cracker with all the nice paint work from the local artists.

Very nice......:) :smashin:

icemanonline

22. fuzed

fuzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I lived with my parents in uxbridge for years, there are some very small pockets of greenery... then moved to harlington within earshot of the airport, although I was lucky as I had alot of green behind the house there... I'm acutally working in milton keynes now, and living in bedfordshire... so theres alot more to photograph - may go out tonight as the weathers come up trumps now! :)

23. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hi Senu

Nice pitures. The ones off the boats is that the marina behind Tesco.

Cheers Holo:smashin: :smashin:

24. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Very nice senu, lovely colours & clarity. I like the bridge one the most I think - a good dramatic image.

My workflow now (since this evening!) goes RAW in Canon DPP, and do some optimisation there on sharpness, white balance, contrast, levels, then export into Photoshop as a TIFF (DPP does this automatically) where any detailed fiddling like cloning or dodging is done, and then finally I save as a JPEG at highest quality (level 12).

I then upload to Smugmug, which provides me with 5 sizes to share into forums like this, where I pick the "Large" size.

Previously I did the RAW in Canon RAW Image Task and exported a jpeg to Photoshop where I'd do all the levels & stuff. I reckon the TIFF export from DPP after doing all the levels gives a much better quality end result. I know the Raw Image Task can export TIFF as well by the way, but I didn't use it as I ended up with 50Mb TIFFs all over the place - DPP doesn't seem to do this.

Hope this helps!

25. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks
    I have loads of methods to try out now, including just embedding a medium sized image and linking it to a bigger one....
    Courtesy of the "How do I link to Flickr" thread
    Just need to find the time..:oops:

26. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Yep that's the one.. ;)

The Hillingdon trail and Canal as well as large of expanse of Green fields go on for much longer than you would think
    The Hillingdon Trail itself is in quite diverse ,stretching from parts of North Hillingdon , the Charville area , North Ruislip to the Yeading Marina behind the Tescos .
    Quite a few picnics were going on , Lovers holding hands ect and I wasn't the only one with idea of a nice walk:cool:

27. SweetGirl

SweetGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Great photos Senu. Lovely colours and very clear.

Know the views well, born in Hillingdon, lived in Southall for 3 years before moving to Langley.

28. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks Anita.. .. I'm sure you get lots of "You now live out of town" eh?:)

29. SweetGirl

SweetGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    How did you guess? :D

30. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Langley is just up the road, ( 6-7 miles) from here but Im familiar with the the typical "Londoners" attitude that anywhere outside the M25 needs a Visa to visit it:confused:

Saying that, I notice driving through the backroads to Slough via Iver Heath, that there are quite nice views in your area which should attract you and your camera on a good Sunny Day:clap: