1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The highs and lows of LCD projectors (PTAE100 upgrade)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hermand, Oct 7, 2005.

1. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very depressed today. :(

My beloved 3 year old Panny PTAE100 is no more

It went pop a few weeks ago, so I took it into the local service centre. They want £230 to fix it. Which is about how much it is probably worth now. I guess if it was car it would be a write off.

So...what do I want to get now? I was happy with the performance of the Panny, so I don't think I need something massively better, but it would be nice to get improved performance from the newer technology for my money.

But above all else it needs to be reliable! 3 years use for £1000 (plus a £250 new bulb in that time!) is hardly good value.

Also I need something with a similar throw distance so I can use it in my living room.

Anyway, has anyone got a good suggestion for a replacement? A quick look possibly suggests a Sanyo Z3 - but some real life advice would be welcomed :smashin:

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    you could get a panny 700 second hand, now that the 900 is being released there will be a lot of members upgrading. Its a cracking picture.

3. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think your expectations are perhaps not realistic. LCD Projectors are not really comparable to e.g. CRT televisions in terms of reliability and certainly not in running costs. Lamps do have a finite (and compared to a CRT, short) life. The LCD panels themselves also degrade with use, and most of all technology marches on at a rapid pace. No-one can guarantee that whatever you buy for £1000 now will last longer than 3 years with no failures, by which time it will likely be as obsolete as your current projector anyway.

4. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree they're not (in my experience anyway) - but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be

I know, but I think it should have lasted more than the 500 hours it did, when the manufacturer quoted 2000+

I understand that technology marches on - but I didn't have upgrade-itis about my ptae100 - if it hadn't popped I would have been happy to use it for many years to come.

I still think that 3 years is a very short lifetime for a piece of kit that costs £1000+, whatever it is.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd get on to Panasonic TBH. There was/is a known issue with the AE100's PSU & I would demand a free repair. Consumer law covers this........forget the exact terminology but it should be "covered" for up to seven years IIRC. 3yrs/500 hours isn't reasonable IMO, given this unit's "history".

:smoke:

6. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I went from an AE100 to Z3, massive difference in everything really, very please and I paid full price for them almost a year ago. Biggest improvements are
    1) Contrast
    2) pixel structure
    3) quiteness
    4) colour rendition
    IMO It's a no brainer.
    azzo

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think that's the crux of the matter. In another 2 yrs I'll be gagging for a new PJ such will be the advancement over what I've got now.

To be honest if I get 3 years out of mine I'll be happy. That's less than £30 per month. Think of what you can rent for £30 per month, or how much you'd spend at the cinema...PJ

8. mariegriffiths

mariegriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has just gone what were the symptons?

9. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was just completely dead; no red light of doom, nothing.

10. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    go for the z2/3/4!
    stll the z2 is the best pq on the market, ***** in HCC!