the HD DVD & BLU-RAY divide/intrest has taken a turn on worldwide forums

RS 4273

Established Member
Reaction score
This is remarkable and i just had to start this thread for a little bit of serious feedback or debate as to why this is happening and i belive it should stay here as it is a mutual post as being about both formats..

OK here we go ,this has been like this for a very long time but now it seems to have expanaded some what but Just lately the gap between people reading and chatting & posting etc on the HD DVD & HD ADD ON threads over the BLU-RAY is getting further and further more ridiculous as of writing this 119 people are intrested in HD DVD where as only 4 are with BLU-RAY that is trully outstanding :eek: the gap is immense it seems to be getting hotter everyday this is great news considering how slow the last 2 weeks of HD releases have been and i have been over at AVS well its pretty much the same story over there with a even more frightening gap , what is happening here lately why is BLU-RAY getting less and less intrest i would have thought with some more releases of players and films and even more films around the corner there would have been much more intrest on both widely used forums but it seems to have gone the opposite :eek:

what would be a concreate answer here??

Please as much as people do not seem to like like BLU-RAY lets have some serious feedback about this huge gap here and in the usa this is remarkable to say the least,ok so it is only down to these forums hereand the usa at the moment but this must have some sort of key as to where things are heading. :thumbsup:

By "world-wide forums" do you mean the American AVSforum?

StooMonster

I honestly dont see what the big deal is. Both formats are practicaly identical in terms of quality and so on.

IF blu ray is the worst of the 2 its because of stupid mistakes like NOT having Dolby True HD in Superman Returns while HD DVD did.

If anything I preffer Blu Ray because of the extra space which will be handy in the future.

Another reason I like Blu Ray is because it uses Mpeg 2 (less compression) over AVC or VC1. Linear PCM is also fairly good in terms of quality as far as sound goes, but of course nothing beats DTS HD or Dolby True HD.

Finaly the other main deciding factor is software and hardware price and availability.

If Blu Ray players cost a lot more than HD DVD players, that will be a major deciding factor.

Same goes for disks.

By "world-wide forums" do you mean the American AVSforum?

StooMonster

Well i chose my words carefully by using worldwide because thats exactley what i mean,so no is the answer to your question not just avs in the usa or even here for that matter,unfortunately i do not speak any other languages but according to many over in the states who speak or who at least have a grasp of other languages have said this is what is also happening on forums of a simlar nature aswell ,,so if every forum and could come up with some serious reasonable answers and we here in the uk could come up with ideas rather than putting up things like... "do you mean the American AVSforum?"
we could actually get somewhere

Well yes i suppose AVS is a huge part of it, but thats not what were trying to acheive here but as you have brought that up yes AVS does have a very large user base and meaning towards this thread and what is happening so i guess its a start.

Lets keep away from the sarcastic comments and get on with the matter at hand here and have some serious answers from some knowledgeble members please..!! :thumbsup:

I honestly dont see what the big deal is. Both formats are practicaly identical in terms of quality and so on.

IF blu ray is the worst of the 2 its because of stupid mistakes like NOT having Dolby True HD in Superman Returns while HD DVD did.

If anything I preffer Blu Ray because of the extra space which will be handy in the future.

Another reason I like Blu Ray is because it uses Mpeg 2 (less compression) over AVC or VC1. Linear PCM is also fairly good in terms of quality as far as sound goes, but of course nothing beats DTS HD or Dolby True HD.

Finaly the other main deciding factor is software and hardware price and availability.

If Blu Ray players cost a lot more than HD DVD players, that will be a major deciding factor.

Same goes for disks.
There is some good points there that we have come across many times before,meaning what you said aboout pricing and so forth,but i dont think the lack of a few audio formats on BD is steering people away from it at present,and from what i have seen the majority of people are no intrested in BLU-RAY for its storage cap that is pretty meaningless to most when it comes to films,all they want is a soild transfer at a decent price and wheather it be on BD 50 or HD 30 most people do not care for the size BD offers because when it comes to film it does not offer anything better than what we are seeing on HD..
Like many have said before HD dvd is good enough format for films and perhaps BLU-RAY could be used solely for pc media with its larger cap,who knows its a start..

I think the 'forum' differences are just down to the number of HD-DVD players, (particularly the Xbox Addon) sold recently. Where as non of the BR players seem to be selling as well, if you believe what you read on here anyhow. :D

As for why, considering how similar the two formats are. Ignoring BR's bad launch :eek: and just looking at how things stand now. I belive BR's biggest mistake was being assoicated with Sony :D I know the two can't really be seperated, despite there being other members of the BDA, Sony is seen as BR. :eek:

And although I stated a few months ago that I don't like or dislike any corporation. I think the widespread apparent hatred of Sony on the net accorss forums like this, could well be one of the biggest factors against BR, after the bad launch. :devil:

I think both MS and Sony have their fans and those which 'hate' them, and probably both for fairly good reasons.. yet although MS's domination of markets, and 'aggressive' policies are well known, they arn't exactly headline at the moment. Lik-sang, was and still is very damaging to Sony in my view. It was important to many 'internet savy' types, (and even sony managers according to their home pages :devil: ) so by very publically causing Lik-Sang to close they alienated a lot of the people who are now discussing BR v's HD-DVD on these forums... :confused: Perhaps sony should have thought about this before they launched a new format and BR players etc... was all this negative vibe right now worth stopping the import of a few PSP's.. WHich arn't selling to well anyway? :D

And of course it isn't just Lik-Sang, the proprietary nature of Sony has anoyed many, particularly the 'net savy' and thats before we get onto the music CD's with the hidden software :mad:

I still believe Sony make some good products and would still buy them if I wanted one, yet these recent 'mistakes' seems to be really alienating Sony form this generation. The least said, the better, about various patronising, arrogant and incredibly foolish, internet ad campaings such as cool girl (was that her name?) and the various spurious fan sites, actually set up by sony and soon rubbished by the very people sony have tried to persuade.

Where as Toshiba seem to be paying it cool, which does appear to be :cool: And i've not really heard a bad word against Toshiba on these sites.. appart form recent minor launch delays.. they seem to be treated pretty neutrally?

And Microsoft seem to have really learnt by Sony's mistakes, they are still a large multinational out for profit but they seem to have a far more accpetable image amongst most online users, despite their heavy handed tactics etc..

So in my view if BR had been able to disconnect it's self from Sony (oh did I mention Betamax :devil: or UMD :devil: ) then BR, would have / will have, far more chance of success, and would have been judged far more fairly since it's launch.... just IMO of course. :D

Of course brand image only goes so far, and the high price of BR (depsite Packetfront's protests) will also be dinting BR sales IMO. The overall discussion of BR and HD-DVD on sites such as this, are probably more influenced by Brand image than actuall sales..

Sorry if I went on a bit.. :eek: And non of this is fact, just my opinion, which I reserve the right to change. :D

I think the 'forum' differences are just down to the number of HD-DVD players, (particularly the Xbox Addon) sold recently. Where as non of the BR players seem to be selling as well, if you believe what you read on here anyhow. :D

As for why, considering how similar the two formats are. Ignoring BR's bad launch :eek: and just looking at how things stand now. I belive BR's biggest mistake was being assoicated with Sony :D I know the two can't really be seperated, despite there being other members of the BDA, Sony is seen as BR. :eek:

And although I stated a few months ago that I don't like or dislike any corporation. I think the widespread apparent hatred of Sony on the net accorss forums like this, could well be one of the biggest factors against BR, after the bad launch. :devil:

I think both MS and Sony have their fans and those which 'hate' them, and probably both for fairly good reasons.. yet although MS's domination of markets, and 'aggressive' policies are well known, they arn't exactly headline at the moment. Lik-sang, was and still is very damaging to Sony in my view. It was important to many 'internet savy' types, (and even sony managers according to their home pages :devil: ) so by very publically causing Lik-Sang to close they alienated a lot of the people who are now discussing BR v's HD-DVD on these forums... :confused: Perhaps sony should have thought about this before they launched a new format and BR players etc... was all this negative vibe right now worth stopping the import of a few PSP's.. WHich arn't selling to well anyway? :D

And of course it isn't just Lik-Sang, the proprietary nature of Sony has anoyed many, particularly the 'net savy' and thats before we get onto the music CD's with the hidden software :mad:

I still believe Sony make some good products and would still buy them if I wanted one, yet these recent 'mistakes' seems to be really alienating Sony form this generation. The least said, the better, about various patronising, arrogant and incredibly foolish, internet ad campaings such as cool girl (was that her name?) and the various spurious fan sites, actually set up by sony and soon rubbished by the very people sony have tried to persuade.

Where as Toshiba seem to be paying it cool, which does appear to be :cool: And i've not really heard a bad word against Toshiba on these sites.. appart form recent minor launch delays.. they seem to be treated pretty neutrally?

And Microsoft seem to have really learnt by Sony's mistakes, they are still a large multinational out for profit but they seem to have a far more accpetable image amongst most online users, despite their heavy handed tactics etc..

So in my view if BR had been able to disconnect it's self from Sony (oh did I mention Betamax :devil: or UMD :devil: ) then BR, would have / will have, far more chance of success, and would have been judged far more fairly since it's launch.... just IMO of course. :D

Of course brand image only goes so far, and the high price of BR (depsite Packetfront's protests) will also be dinting BR sales IMO. The overall discussion of BR and HD-DVD on sites such as this, are probably more influenced by Brand image than actuall sales..

Sorry if I went on a bit.. :eek: And non of this is fact, just my opinion, which I reserve the right to change. :D

No worries good post and just to add to that,, your point about sony being part of it is the same answer which has been given numerous times over in the states.like you said they are part of it and its not going to change ,but if they were not associated with BLU-RAY from the start things would have been a whole lot diffrent , it is they who killing it for most ,well not killing it as such but rahter putting people of buying into it.

give over! :rotfl: the points in your first post have been done to death, your other posts are HDDVD fanboi cheerleader posts, that really are not necessary as hddvd has enough supporter already. Your thread brings nothing new to the discussion at all, so whats the point?

why not start a discussion asking about what the future could bring for both formats, how far could compression techniques go, what about sound formats, how much space do we REALLY need, etc etc..thats interesting, not how many people are viewing one forum over another :rolleyes:

How much capacity a good thing from a studio view point ?

Many appear to believe this is a good thing because studios will pack a high capacity disc with extras etc and charge the same. Do studios share this view of do they prefer double dip releasing of multi-disc sets at a higher price ?

Thoughts?

AVI

Well I'll try to be serious.:rolleyes: If you look at DVD we had DTS and DD. Now I bet there are many, many more posts with regards to DTS and how good it is compared to DD.

But and its a major but, most DVDs had DD if not every DVD had DD. I think there were a few DTS only DVDs but not many.

So you make your own conclusion to what I've said. Take it for what you will.

The fact is the format war will not be won by internet chat, it will be won by the availability of movies and the price of players, which BD will demonstrate its superiority in 2007 starting with CES in January.

Im all for Bluray. Quality wise they can be exactly the same as each other. What it comes down to is bluray has more space which is why I prefer it.

Who wouldnt want a better technology to win????? and whichever format wins the prices will drop to that of a dvd one day. Why wouldnt you want it be the one with 50gb opposed to 30gb

Im all for Bluray. Quality wise they can be exactly the same as each other. What it comes down to is bluray has more space which is why I prefer it.

Who wouldnt want a better technology to win????? and whichever format wins the prices will drop to that of a dvd one day so why wouldnt you want it be the one with 50gb opposed to 30gb

perhaps because HD has 45gb completed and 90gb in the works...:confused:

Space..
Difficult to tell, not many people are bothered about extras, most want quality sound and vision. Studios want money, more disks brings in more money for them if people have to keep buying different ones...

sound
dont know anywhere near enough about it to comment im afraid. i have dolby digital decoder and thats it..

now look we are rocketing to 3 pages, we all fed the troll

BD will demonstrate its superiority in 2007 starting with CES in January.

I've been following this from before either format was launched. As a bit of fun I was trying to recall all the signifcant milestones that would realise BD superiority.

First HD DVD launched but wait until BD launches
The Samung is crap wait until we have other players
Wait until we get 50Gb
Wait until we have VC1/ACV
Wait until the PS3 launches
Wait until we have some "top draw" films
Wait until.....

Did I miss any ?

AVI

And wait until we have some top draw films.

Mod Comment: Please keep posts respectful, constructive and on-topic, or we will have to delete some more.

Thanks, Nick

perhaps i am being simple but it comes down to value for monay. High def pictures look great but the pq between HD and BR is not worth the difference between the cost of players. 99% of "standard" dvd viewing people will be blown away by HD and BR.....its just that BR costs a lot more so people will buy HD.

many will sample both and some will buy whichever is best no matter what the cost, but the majority will buy the best value for money....ie HD (at the minute)

people are saying that blu ray is the superiour product , but isnt it just going to be history repeating itself:

betamax was better then VHS but VHS won
Minidisc was better then cd but cd one
laserdisk was better then VHS but VHS continued on untill DVD

Back on topic. If you use the amazon DVD wars as an indicator of trends then we see the opposite of what 3rd Eye is questioning. If HD-DVD web chat is going through the roof then why are the ranks showing HD-DVD in decline?

The gap between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is closing week by week. Whats it going to be like when Sony, Fox and Disney release their top films and the PS3 is waiting on shop shelves. Or when Samsung release a £400 player, or when the PS3 comes down to £300. Will people realy choose a £300 HD-DVD player with just Universal exclusives over a £400 BD player without Universal exclusives but with every other studio backing it?

Back on topic. If you use the amazon DVD wars as an indicator of trends then we see the opposite of what 3rd Eye is questioning. If HD-DVD web chat is going through the roof then why are the ranks showing HD-DVD in decline?

HD-DVD only appears to be indecline because of the massive increase in DVD sales over the Xmas period, it is still ahead of BR :rolleyes:

:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom