The Haunting R1 DTS: Have you been brave enough to play this at reference level?

tk2001

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The Haunting DTS is one of the very few movies out there that really pushes any subwoofer IMO and a couple of day ago I watched the movie again using my new sub at -10 below reference level and I found the low frequencies in the movie to be far too earth shakingly loud.

Has anyone been brave (or crazy) enough to watch this movie all the way through at reference level?

Do people's subwoofer struggles to play the scenes in the movie where the bass frequencies get really low?

I've got the DTS test disc that has a clip of The Haunting on there. I always assumed the bass was horribly overblown on the soundtrack - this was back when I had an REL Q200 which I now know made a bit of a pigs ear of it.

I listened to it again when I got my new sub and wow - fantastic, deep, clean bass.

I have listened to it quite loud but not at reference levels - let's just say that this would not be wise with an HGS15 and dry lined walls!

Matt.

No problem here!....whilst I agree the DTS track on this disc has a healthy LF output(no more so than Star Wars II though) there doesnt seem to be an overload problem even at reference level....even using a very similar REL to the one the last submission panned.

TagMclaren AV32R
Krell KMA 100 monoblocs
B&W Nautilus 805s and CDM CNT
REL Q201 sub

Originally posted by Matt F
I've got the DTS test disc that has a clip of The Haunting on there. I always assumed the bass was horribly overblown on the soundtrack - this was back when I had an REL Q200 which I now know made a bit of a pigs ear of it.

I listened to it again when I got my new sub and wow - fantastic, deep, clean bass.

I have listened to it quite loud but not at reference levels - let's just say that this would not be wise with an HGS15 and dry lined walls!

Matt.

I too witnessed the same horribly overblown problem with my previous sub. However when I watched the movie again through my CHT-15, the low frequency bass scenes were very deep, clean and very composed!

I too have been Velodyned!

BTW, do you have your sub level set 75dB at 00dB using a SPL meter?

Originally posted by tk2001
BTW, do you have your sub level set 75dB at 00dB using a SPL meter?

I use 75dB for the mains and 73dB for the sub - this is to take account of the inaccuracies of my Radioshak SPL meter. A list of the corrections for this meter are given in this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22535&highlight=SPL+correction

Alexs2 - I wouldn't say I "panned" the Q200 - I just didn't think it dealt with The Haunting DTS very well - I was blaming the soundtrack for the overblown bass when what I was really hearing was the subwoofer distorting (and it was set up and positioned properly). The Velodyne HGS15 shows that there is nothing wrong with the soundtrack at all.

I wouldn't say the Q200 is as bad as some have made out, it's just that a 10" driver with a 200 watt amp in a foot square enclosure is always going to struggle with the really deep stuff.

Matt.

Maybe panned was too strong a word!....apologies.

On my system,the sub is set to the same 75dB level as the other speakers,but I would add that having the luxury of Krells to drive the speakers does make deep bass delivery a lot easier,with or without a sub and would certainly say that the bass delivery from big Krells or Levinsons has to be heard to fully understand the contribution these things can make.

Most speakers get a bit loose when trying to deliver the lower end of their frequency range,and having amplifiers with complete control and very high current delivery(up to 50amps) at these frequencies does help.

My copy of Haunting should arrive this week, I've been told that the LFE track is even more impressive than Titan AE so I can't wait...........................I bet the neighbours are equally anticipating it's arrival :devil:

Correct me if I'm wrong but earlier DTS DVDs like Daylight/Antz/Dante's Peak etc which came with a DTS track only as opposed to modern DVDs with dual DD/DTS tracks were recorded with the LFE track +3DB above DD. It's certainly true with Antz and Daylight on my system, the lfe track needs a -2/3 reduction to prevent overblown bass (especially on Daylight chapter 8 when the explosion occurs and chapter 40 the suction scene *oo err*) :)

I use a HGS-18 and i still think the DTS Haunting is too bass heavily encoded.....but i've enough tweaks on my 568.2 to cater 4 that...(or the handy fine adjust via HGS remote)

However, the HGS has revealed additional bass lines which my previous 2 subs (M&K & REL) could not......

Adzman

Matt.
Matt

Could you post details of your DTS test disc please?

I've looked on the DTS site but cant find any mention of it.

Many thanks

Originally posted by eddiea
Matt

Could you post details of your DTS test disc please?

I've looked on the DTS site but cant find any mention of it.

Many thanks

It was given to me by a chap in Audio Excellence as a goodwill gesture after I'd had loads of trouble with a Rotel AV processor they sold me.

It came in a small transparent wallet and has a variety of clips on it including (from memory) - Antz, Dances with Wolves, The Haunting, The Eagles, Roy Orbison, Sheryl Crow.

Matt.

Which is the DTS version of The Haunting all the online stores say the R2 version is DD5.1 and don't mention DTS ? Thanks.

Originally posted by gdickin2
Which is the DTS version of The Haunting all the online stores say the R2 version is DD5.1 and don't mention DTS ? Thanks.

You need the R1 "Signature Collection" version like THIS

It was given to me by a chap in Audio Excellence as a goodwill gesture after I'd had loads of trouble with a Rotel AV processor they sold me.

It came in a small transparent wallet and has a variety of clips on it including (from memory) - Antz, Dances with Wolves, The Haunting, The Eagles, Roy Orbison, Sheryl Crow.

Matt.

Matt

Has it got a title or any numbers on it?

Originally posted by eddiea
Matt

Has it got a title or any numbers on it?

It looks something like this:

demo4.jpg

Matt

Thanks Matt

BTW, I've got the 5.1 DD version of the Haunting and the bass is quite noticable through most of the movie.

Hmmm... I remember all the talk of DTS having overblown bass. Is this true still? ever? Someone also suggested once (I forget where) that DTS tracks were usually mastered after DD tracks so the engineers could 'improve' on the DD track. Is this true?

Sure wish I could play The Haunting or any movie at reference levels!!!! At the mo, all I got is my Creative DTT3500s... </gratuitous solicitation of sympathy> btw, The Haunting is now on my xmas wishlist... it was a cracking film anyway! The promise of deep bass beckons... :)

Originally posted by Doomlord_uk
Hmmm... I remember all the talk of DTS having overblown bass. Is this true still? ever? Someone also suggested once (I forget where) that DTS tracks were usually mastered after DD tracks so the engineers could 'improve' on the DD track. Is this true?

Sure wish I could play The Haunting or any movie at reference levels!!!! At the mo, all I got is my Creative DTT3500s... </gratuitous solicitation of sympathy> btw, The Haunting is now on my xmas wishlist... it was a cracking film anyway! The promise of deep bass beckons... :)

The dts track in many instances is a completely different mix from the dolby version (for lateest releases in cinema and home) many remixes for older stuff is taken from one master mix and then codec for DD and dts.(dts adds =3db to lfe)

15 year thread bump! :laugh:

I finally tracked this down after owning it when it came out. The film itself isn't that great however the DTS ES 6.1 soundtrack has some of the best bass I have ever heard (or, in this case, felt).

You can only get it on DVD region 1 import, and it's been out of print for ages but they do show up on Ebay now and then. There is a DD version but it is not the same.

You need a highly capable sub to get the best out of the soundtrack. I heard/felt bass when playing it tonight I never knew existed when I watched it without a proper sub years ago.

The amount of infrasonic bass is incredible. The windows upstairs in my house were vibrating and my girlfriend thought the doors were going to vibrate off their hinges! :D

Highly recommended if you want to really push your sub.

Blimey, this is blast from the past (literally!). The Haunting (DTS ES Discrete) has a belter of a soundtrack. Not only the LFE but the overall mix is outstanding.

Last edited:
157ewbo.jpg

I still have it - one of the select few DVD's that survived my great cull a few years back.
Film is absolute toilet, but the sound used to be one of the go to demo pieces way back when.

I can remember ordering this when I got my first 5.1 system, and they sent me the normal version, not the DTS, was proper guttered.

Didn't think it was that bad a film, forgotten Owen Wilson was in it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom