The Haunting R1, Doesn't quite do what it says on the tin...

Grimley

Established Member
Reaction score
Look, I know this film is pants & you'd want 90 minutes of your life back after watching it but I would like anyone who owns a R1 copy & a 6.1 setup to clarify something.
I played my copy yesterday to reap the benefits of my new 6.1 setup & according to my Pioneer AX3 it says its just bog standard DTS not DTS-ES as it states on the disc itself & on the cover.
All my other DTS-ES discs are fine, it's just this one. I'm a bit annoyed that this disc claims to have one thing & it turns out to be another…
Anyone else have a problem with their R1 copy?

it may not have a DTS-ES flag, you'd have to engage the option on your amp manually.

don't know about other peoples ax3's but my pioneer vsx-d2011 amp set up on auto flags it up as being dts es disc6.1 +thx.
and i assumed the ax3 was a similar model to mine.
so i can't see a problem with my disc.
hope that helps.

Grimleys - Have you definately got the DTS-ES version as I'm sure it comes in a few different versions ? Definately comes up as ES Discrete on my Denon 3801
Yes the film is most laughable & about as scary as The Munsters but the sound is near perfection IMHO
Paul ;)

Well, this one is a lot trickier than what first meets the eye...

I've had problems with Haunting R1 (as well as Gladiator R1) not being decoded as DTS Disc 6.1 when I updated my software in my TAG AV3232 DP. The old SW decoded them as ES Discrete, the new SW decodes them as ES Matrix.

It turns out that if you have a DTS decoder library that is very recent it's not as leniant as the older DTS decoder library was. It has something to do with word length, bits, decoding etc, highly technical stuff for me at least. Anyway, so some releases of Haunting R1 have som bad DTS Discrete 6.1 code and the latest decoding libraries from DTS doesn't allow as much errors as the old ones did! So instead of them being decoded as DTS ES Discrete 6.1, they're decoded as for instance DTS ES Matrix 6.1

Apparently also the DVD player can add stuff to the DTS stream.

Now, all this means that the same disc can be decoded as ES Discr. 6.1 on one machine and as some other DTS format on another. So, try the same disc on a machine setup (player and processor) that are not of the very latest vintage.

DTS are aware of this but don't really care about badly edited discs...

Go figure...

Am i the only person on these forums who will admit to liking
The Haunting ?

Originally posted by Adam Barratt
DTS authored The Haunting's DTS soundtrack themselves... :)

Yeah, but that was a few years ago... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by PaulBoy
Grimleys - Have you definately got the DTS-ES version as I'm sure it comes in a few different versions ? Definately comes up as ES Discrete on my Denon 3801
Yes the film is most laughable & about as scary as The Munsters but the sound is near perfection IMHO
Paul ;)

Yep, it says DTS-ES on the disc & the packging..

Come to think of it, I'm not really that bothered about it. I'm thinking about puttting the disc in the trading forum, as I only bought it for 'demo' purposes & so far the only person I've demoed it to is me :confused: I've lost all interest in the film anyway after watching it more than twice....

BTW I tested the disc on on my old & new DVD players
(Sony 525 & 930)

Originally posted by FoxyMulder
Am i the only person on these forums who will admit to liking
The Haunting ?

It’s an other case where the original was the better film. It also did not seem to know which country it was based on.

I agree the original is a better film and i am a big fan of the original.

I bought this remake after hearing years of negative reviews on it and was pleasantly surprised to find it a pretty entertaining rollercoaster ride of a film, then again i also enjoyed Twister so perhaps my taste in films isn't the same as everyone else's.

hi all!!

Foxymulder, you aint on ya own.
I to, must confess to liking the film.
And the dts-es soundtrack is one of the best you will probably ever here IMO.

best wishes to all.
nick.

Just to bump this thread, I've found another one.
E.T. 3 disc collectors edition R2, says its DTS-ES, comes up on my AX3 as DTS only. I'm beginning to think its either a bug in the Receiver's decoding or the two Sony DVD players I own, or Universal can't be arsed to author their DVD's properly

Anyone else out there own a copy & check it if they've got a 6.1 setup ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom