The Haunting on blu-ray(1999)

Snake79

Whilst I agree the original is superior I do have a fondness for this version. It was one of the first films in the DVD era to show off DD 5.1 and it has it's moments, not to mention Catherine Zeta Jones in her prime.

I picked up the Australian blu-ray from Umbrella entertainment through Amazon. It's region B so will play on UK players. It's a quality transfer too.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Whilst I agree the original is superior I do have a fondness for this version. It was one of the first films in the DVD era to show off DD 5.1 and it has it's moments, not to mention Catherine Zeta Jones in her prime.

I picked up the Australian blu-ray from Umbrella entertainment through Amazon. It's region B so will play on UK players. It's a quality transfer too.

I went to an AV demo and they played the bit with the spiral star case and it was pretty amazing in it's day. The original film was in mono but they managed to create an incredible audio effect using visuals during that banging on the walls and door. Both brilliant and chilling.

Bri

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The remake was OK, and oddly was the only DVD That I ever had that freaked my cat. He went very feral during several scenes in the film. Never saw that again. I think that it was the audio effects that freaked him. That all said, the 1963 original is superior. IME, that’s the case for most re-makes, or re-imaginings as I think that the term is today. There are some exceptions to my mind though. Dredd was better in the re-make, and Robocop wasn’t too bad either, but overall, I stick to originals, not re-hashes.

brian s

Distinguished Member
The remake was OK, and oddly was the only DVD That I ever had that freaked my cat. He went very feral during several scenes in the film. Never saw that again. I think that it was the audio effects that freaked him. That all said, the 1963 original is superior. IME, that’s the case for most re-makes, or re-imaginings as I think that the term is today. There are some exceptions to my mind though. Dredd was better in the re-make, and Robocop wasn’t too bad either, but overall, I stick to originals, not re-hashes.

I had a similar thing with the Tim Burton version of Planet Of The Apes. There was a jungle or forest scene with the wind whooshing around the living room. One of our cats ran into the living room but stopped dead when she heard the sound. Her ears tracked the sound for a while before she took fright and ran out. It was pretty funny.

Bri

RedDevil85

Distinguished Member

Attachments

• TH_1999.jpg
    TH_1999.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 9

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom