• Narration-Free Prologue
    • Message from Carl Foreman

Attachments

• TGoN_4K (back).jpg
    TGoN_4K (back).jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Not seen in a long long time. Memory tells me it’s by far my fave WW2 movie but knowing Sony, it’ll look terrific so an essential buy nontheless.

As a coincidence just noticed this appear on Netflix of all places.

Where Eagles Dare is probably my favourite, if for the theme music alone. Also always wanted to see the colourised version of The Longest Day but only place I could find it was the crappy VHS rip.

Lol I just posted about Netflix and another hoping for 4K release (Munich) in the wish list thread.

So many movies seem to do this (turn up on Streaming prior to 4K disc announcement/release.

Ditto Eagles. If I could have 1 WW2 movie wish in 4K…

It all looks a bit daft but it surprisingly works well thanks to the story & cast. It's the sort of thing that could be remade.

Never seen Force 10 From Navarone a sort of a follow-up which was successful. Featuring a fresh-faced Harrison Ford of course looking like he'd just wandered off the Star Wars set and took advantage of his UK work visa.

jacket.jpg

I still have a jacket like that.

So that's Bridge On The River Kwai and Lawrence Of Arabia already available on 4K UHD, The Guns Of Navarone on the way. Just need The Longest Day and Where Eagles Dare now for the full set of classic bank holiday war film staples. "Broadsword calling Danny boy. Over." :)

EDIT: And The Great Escape of course, how could I forget that!

Last edited:
Great news, but is that really the cover art? Looks awful IMHO :(

That original art slipcover is limited to however many copies (on the US release at least), you may prefer the standard cover...

TGoN_4K (standard_cover).jpg

I'll take the original cover over that!

edit. Is that the cover behind the slip?

Need Battle of Britain too picture of the aerial fights would just jump of the screen and the theme music is also glorious.

Guns of Navarone also used to confuse me as there is a B/W and colour version and purists always prefer the B/W version.

Force 10 is not bad though. Don't forget Barbara Bach is in it too ! Mrs Ringo Starr.

Of course. It's Sony so I should have realized that. US release all the way.

It all looks a bit daft but it surprisingly works well thanks to the story & cast. It's the sort of thing that could be remade.

Never seen Force 10 From Navarone a sort of a follow-up which was successful. Featuring a fresh-faced Harrison Ford of course looking like he'd just wandered off the Star Wars set and took advantage of his UK work visa.

View attachment 1551004
I still have a jacket like that.

I'd say Force 10 is a robust follow-up, even with the minor retconning involved. It's 70's sequel through and through and what other period can you have the likes of Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford appearing on screen at the same time? Kino Lorber released a 1080p blu ray of it, there's a chance they could release a 4K of it, albeit stateside.

Need Battle of Britain too picture of the aerial fights would just jump of the screen and the theme music is also glorious.

Guns of Navarone also used to confuse me as there is a B/W and colour version and purists always prefer the B/W version.

Force 10 is not bad though. Don't forget Barbara Bach is in it too ! Mrs Ringo Starr.

I wasn't aware there was a B&W version of GoN? Are you sure you don't mean The Longest Day you mentioned earlier? There was a colourised version of the latter doing the rounds in the '90's. Either channel 5 or ITV were showing it during that time also. Most expensive B&W film ever made until Schindler's List.

That original art slipcover is limited to however many copies (on the US release at least), you may prefer the standard cover...
Yes, that's the cover art I remember from the past. I didn't realize the original art was a slipcover. In that case it's very cool, you get both :thumbsup:

I'd say Force 10 is a robust follow-up, even with the minor retconning involved. It's 70's sequel through and through and what other period can you have the likes of Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford appearing on screen at the same time? Kino Lorber released a 1080p blu ray of it, there's a chance they could release a 4K of it, albeit stateside.

I wasn't aware there was a B&W version of GoN? Are you sure you don't mean The Longest Day you mentioned earlier? There was a colourised version of the latter doing the rounds in the '90's. Either channel 5 or ITV were showing it during that time also. Most expensive B&W film ever made until Schindler's List.

Not sure whether you are old enough but do you remember the afternoon matinee's on ITV around 2.30pm on Mondays and Fridays. Might have been when I was young as we had a B/W TV used to watch the afternoon Matinee's on ITV on Mon/Fridays. Used to show war movies like Cockleshell Heroes etc. Probably was in colour but we had a B/W TV first.

Not sure whether you are old enough but do you remember the afternoon matinee's on ITV around 2.30pm on Mondays and Fridays. Might have been when I was young as we had a B/W TV used to watch the afternoon Matinee's on ITV on Mon/Fridays. Used to show war movies like Cockleshell Heroes etc. Probably was in colour but we had a B/W TV first.
Always confused me when I was little that programs would show " In Colour" but were still in B/W.

Possibly before my time I'm afraid, I don't recall it anyway.

Watched this on iTunes 4K SDR. Absolutely gorgeous. I really hope Sony doesn't go bonkers with HDR grading like River Kwai. Even without HDR, this one looks beautiful.

4K - SDR - HEVC - DD20.95 Mbps (Average)30.38 (Peak)384 (Audio: DD+)

Last edited:
UK release now confirmed for 18th October 2021
OP updated.

Guns of Navarone there is only colour version
There never was a black and white version unless you was watching the film on a black and white TV at some stage :rotfl:

Are you getting confused with a different film

There never was a black and white version unless you was watching the film on a black and white TV at some stage :rotfl:

I can safely say your right as I saw it on the big screen when it first came out, and what's more was not in 4:3 :rolleyes:

Read post #16

Read post #16
No matter what was said in post 16 the post paulboland referred to by you infers that there a B&W version which got colorized e.g. Its a Wonderful Life.

Quote: as there is a B/W and colour version

Always confused me when I was little that programs would show " In Colour" but were still in B/W.
or when Ted Lowe said "and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green.":rolleyes: :rotfl:

May as well said those watching in colour the light grey next to the dark grey or those watching on a B&W monitor the Roll Eyes next to the ROTF

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom