The Guns of Navarone 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
This turned 4K SDR in iTunes few months ago. IMO its a stunning restoration considering the print damage. Can't wait for the physical release.

Thanks for the review - now this is a blast from the past and one to sit down with the kids to watch. These are the movies my dad used to get me to watch when younger so want to pass that tradition on.

Last edited:
I watched this recently for the first time on iTunes in 4k and was surprised how faithful a copy of the boat search scene Hot Shots Part Deux is.

Yes, look forward to renting the disk for the Atmos.
Where Eagles Dare, though, will always be my favourite of this Genre. For the opening titles alone it is a winner (The JU 52 flying between the mountain peaks, and that PERFECT Soundtrack behind)
Got cold shivers right now just thinking about it.
🎶Daa Daaa Da, Daa Daaa da da da, Da daaa da daa da da da, da da da daaa, da da da daaa, da da da daaa da da da!🎶
:D

Excellent review Simon !

Got this on order so hopefully it arrives soon 🙏

Watched this recently on Netflix (or might have been Prime).

A lot of it is very dark so it wasn't easy to see what was going on. I'll probably pick up the 4K disc at some point but honestly, after watching it again, it's some way behind my fave WW2 movies.

Kudos for Sony and their restoration efforts though. Wish it was they who had Where Eagles Dare (and a whole bunch of other WW2 classics) and not MGM (or Amazon or whoever it is now).

Where Eagles Dare, though, will always be my favourite of this Genre. For the opening titles alone it is a winner (The JU 52 flying between the mountain peaks, and that PERFECT Soundtrack behind)
🎶Daa Daaa Da, Daa Daaa da da da, Da daaa da daa da da da, da da da daaa, da da da daaa, da da da daaa da da da!🎶
Always enjoyed Where Eagles Dare as a kid.

If you love this film as I do (my late father took me to the long since torn down Astoria Cinema in Brighton to see this on a huge wrap around screen) you must get hold of the book - “Broadsword Calling Danny Boy” - which is a very knowledgeable and funny read along while you next watch it (e.g. Richard Burtons at the bar again in this scene, but you never see him buy a round)! Best men on a mission film ever and I’m still unsure exactly what the plots about!

If you love this film as I do (my late father took me to the long since torn down Astoria Cinema in Brighton to see this on a huge wrap around screen) you must get hold of the book - “Broadsword Calling Danny Boy” - which is a very knowledgeable and funny read along while you next watch it (e.g. Richard Burtons at the bar again in this scene, but you never see him buy a round)! Best men on a mission film ever and I’m still unsure exactly what the plots about!
Thanks - I'll search that out! :thumbsup:

P.S. The German title for this Movie is Brilliant!

71rSkUYajYL._SX342_.jpg

Last edited:
Watched this recently on Netflix (or might have been Prime).

A lot of it is very dark so it wasn't easy to see what was going on. I'll probably pick up the 4K disc at some point but honestly, after watching it again, it's some way behind my fave WW2 movies.

Kudos for Sony and their restoration efforts though. Wish it was they who had Where Eagles Dare (and a whole bunch of other WW2 classics) and not MGM (or Amazon or whoever it is now).
I did as well, only thing I could fault it on was the German speaking bits were not subtitled into the film. Couldn't understand a word of what they said except the word "yes"

Great review Simon, love these old war films. This wouldn’t be top of my list but will be a definite purchase all the same. All we need now is The Longest Day, A Bridge too Far, Kelly’s Heroes, The Great Escape and Where Eagles Dare. Great to see an Atmos track too, pity some of the more modern films don’t include one.

navarone03.jpg

Nice review, ta.

A really enjoyable film definitely be buying it.

Pity they didn't use the artwork from the US slipcover in the UK:

navarone01.jpg

navarone02.jpg

Anyone notice the atmos track is very loud. I'm not sure if something changed on my setup but normally I watch movies at around 50 on the Denon AVR, whatever 50 means, I've looked it up before but I always forget. I have to turn it down to 20 and it's still a little loud. How do they make a 7.1 Atmos audio track out of an older film? Anyway? Weren't most cities in mono or stereo.

I really like this film, gave away my DVD copy a few months ago… now just waiting for a local Aus release or for it to be less than £20!

Anyone notice the atmos track is very loud. I'm not sure if something changed on my setup but normally I watch movies at around 50 on the Denon AVR, whatever 50 means, I've looked it up before but I always forget. I have to turn it down to 20 and it's still a little loud. How do they make a 7.1 Atmos audio track out of an older film? Anyway? Weren't most cities in mono or stereo.
I did almost right away. I don't have a dedicated system I have the q950a samsung soundbar and the bar rears and sub come alive with this great 4k film. You notice when the jeeps are driving too. Wow. Any other classic ww2 films that are out on 4k ?

Finally got round to watching this. Now its soooo long since I'd seen it, I couldn't remember any of it other than the BIG guns. I didn't sit the kids down to watch it as they'd probably have found it boring. Its long...and the version I watched had the intermission card/music in it.

I enjoyed it and was great to see it on the big screen at home. Like a lot of classic films the acting style is very different to today. I found Gregory Peck a bit dull and lacking persona. It was interesting that there were so many action scenes with no dialogue.

PQ was very good for a film of its age, but the sounds was excellent...loved the use of overheads, and agree the bass was a bit heavy at times, but for an older film it was very well done.

Cheers for the review and looking forward to watching more classics on 4k.

You can change the volume scale within the settings of the AVR, I'd suggest changing it to the '0' reference and anything dialed lower on your volume with register in the minuses which gives you an idea where your volume is set with regards to reference setting of '0'. From what you described, it sounds like your Denon AVR is set to the alternative non-reference scale.

As for the Atmos mix on this movie, I'm amazed at how good they made this sound for such an old movie, which must've been an original mono track when it was made. That said, I noticed it was loud, and the bass a little too aggressive in places, like the vehicle engines. Even so, it's a really impressive mix for a film of this vintage. As it happens, I've since begun using Audyssey Dynamic Volume on 'Light' since I last watched this, so I'd be curious whether this helps to attenuate some of the louder/aggressive parts of the this mix for the better without needing to turn the volume too far down.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom