The Guilty (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas, saw the trailer for this last night, I like Gyllenhaal normally so will give this a bash at some point.

encaser

Oh, that's a shame.
I would've liked another variant on the form; as Jake is a favourite of mine, that is, when he doesn't go too deep in mumble registers vocally and, a different setting in tone culturally could've been a welcome shift.
However, I really liked the original. It's near mono play-like claustrophobic air, foreign police room setting and even the subtitled language added another layer of being a helpless grasp away.
That being said, I'll give this a whirl because there's plenty else to avoid.

gadget man

I liked the Danish movie i might watch this to compare but i always prefer the original. Remakes of foreign movies are made for people who cannot be bothered to read subtitles. The intouchables was a fantastic movie but the American remake (The Upside) was not.

Last edited:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Ive not seen the original, I'll probably just stick to the original.

Last edited:

groucho marx

i enjoyed this,i would have given it a 7/8 maybe, it was basically a one man show and was carried along well by gyllenhall,i didnt see the plot twist coming,probably enjoyed it more as it was a last gasp choice,

encaser

Having seen both now, this clearly isn't as good as the original.
The latter had the benefit of being new/first but this gets DaytimeTV/Bravo-like and makes Joe too twitchy/unlikeable at times.
There's little nuance in the writing or direction and it all gets a bit, sling-it-on-the-wall. It's like the director picked out a set bunch of descriptive character traits for Gyllenhaal to 'be' and said, ACTION!
By the time the reveals finally come around, you should've worked out what they consisted of long ago and, the last truth feels far too Hollywood/woke to matter.

darksideofthe

I enjoyed it. Jake's performance was great and it was interesting to see who the actors doing the other phone voices were. Bill Burr and Paul Dano, I had no idea! I'd give it a 7/10. Fancy watching the original now.

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Watched this last night as I do enjoy a bit of Gillyenhahahallllllll. For me it didnt quite hit the mark and I think the score is fair.

Dan

Pogg

Call me Candy

An OK film which was worth warching.
I think the score of 6 is right on the nose.
6 is an OK score.
Good review again Cas. Cheers.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I stuck it out, but a few times I found my finger hovering over the off button.

Looked good is the best I can say about it.

Gerry557

I can't say this floated my boat. Watched it based on Jake Gyllenhaal. He does OK but it was a claustrophobic watch. The Mrs got bored well before me.

Post watching I found it interesting some of the names in the film. I say film but mean audio.

It is different from most films but reminds me of Tom Hardy's Locke. Another film I watched based on the main actor but was also disappointed with.

This is never going to be an Atmos star and the limited set reducedes most opportunities for visuals. That just leaves a story and if that is the case you need a really good story or just read the book.

Maybe I should have read the reviews first but didn't want to spoil it. In this case it might have allowed me to miss it.

The expected twists and reveals we're just that, expected and left me with that "Was that it" feeling.

Apparently it's a remake, which is better so most say. Unfortunately I won't be rushing to watch either again or maybe this sort of thing isn't mine

Kailash

i enjoyed it. was pretty tense and JG was good in it. didn't recognise ethan hawke et al on the phones. 90min run time was just enough

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I’m in the camp that got a bit bored with it. Most interesting part was a game of spot the famous voices. It didn’t seem to really go anywhere. As implausible as they are, I’d rather rewatch a Halle Berry double bill of The Call and Kidnap.

rb5201

Just watched it. Nearly gave up but not often I quit half way through.

Found it was just alot of repetition on the script. Emily voice I found annoying, and just saying the same thing over and over.

La Finta Nonna

Thank you for the review Cas I enjoyed the film and thought Jake Gyllenhaal was good in it quite tense in places and managed to subvert expectations on occasion 7 for me

KorbenDallas

Standard Member
6.5 maybe? I don't know. At times it would be boring and I would think, "Why are you watching this?" But at times it was interesting. Toward the end it got a bit too melodramatic and the big twist I kind of already saw coming. Perhaps 6.5 is fair, a bit above "straight to DVD" quality.

Kapkirk

A little boring actually and I even guessed the outcome about halfway through the movie.
I watched another movie straight after called Black and Blue with Frank Grillo and Naomie Harris and thought that was a much better movie.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play racks up 10 million users
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PROMOTED: Which OLED is King? 2021 Shootout at Abbey Road Studios
  • By Promoted Content Poster
  • Published
Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS