The Guardian Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Sep 20, 2007.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Brian Day
      The Guardian can be considered a real return to acting form for Kevin Costner. Ashton Kutcher plays the second string well whilst Costner is off set. While they are at work together, you get the feeling that Kutcher is scared to get into character properly for fear of upstaging the old master. His performance suffers because of this and inevitably, so does the movie.
      As a Blu-ray set, the picture quality is a mixed bag. The outdoor and well lit scenes are up there with some of the best seen on any format. It’s during the numerous dark scenes where the picture quality falls flat on it’s face. I’m not 100% sure why this happens, but if it is bit rate starvation, it’s unforgivable given the discs 50 gig capacity. The sound quality can be classed as reference quality. Those of you that love a loud detail packed soundtrack should check out the LPCM 5.1 offering here. It’s phenomenal! The Dolby Digital 5.1 track is no slouch either…
      The extras package is a pretty standard affair with a really standout (but all to short) featurette about the real search and rescue service.

I can recommend the Guardian to die hard Costner fans. Kutcher is the eye candy for the ladies but is upstaged at every hurdle by the old man. The remainder of you may want to rent first, buy later.
      Read the full review...

2. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,517
      Just picked the UK Blu-ray up. Nice to see another completely incorrect review on this site. Where to start, oh I know, a '5' for picture? Get the hell out of here!! Did you watch it on a '32 CRT? The transfer is friggin' glorious. Encoded in MPEG-2? Wrong again, encoded in AVC and the commentary you mention? Not on the disc at all, NOWHERE to be found. Either you had a check disc or this review was bogus. Have a nice day!!

3. Simon Crust

Simon Crust
      Movie Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,625
      How dare you try to besmirch the reviewer and this site with your vicious attack.

I take an extremely dim view of the tone of your post and to suggest this is bogus is an outrageous slander.

For your information the disc was viewed via an Optoma Themescene HD73 DLP Projector on a Lumar Draper 92" Manual Screen.

The codec used was MEPG-2

The Commentary is there

All this information was taken from the disc itself was was reviewed correctly.

I take particular exception to this as we take the time and effort to make sure all information is correct from the discs we are supplied.

This secton of the forum is open for feedback not for flames.

4. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,517
      Maybe, but the actual retail disc is different. I apologize regarding my tone, but talk about getting your knickers in a twist.
      "Quick circle the wagons, someone disagreed with a review!" LOL!!

5. Simon Crust

Simon Crust
      Movie Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,625
      The only part of the review you disagreed on was the picture scoring, the rest was libellous and that causes my problem.

We spend a great deal of time and effort to bring you the best reviews we can with as much up to date and correct information as we can; we are not here to make up erroneous facts.