• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Grudge (24 January 2020) directed by Nicolas Pesce

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Ghost House Pictures is moving forward with their reboot of The Grudge and they’ve announced that The Eyes of My Mother‘s Nicolas Pesce will direct the film.

The film is based off of Takashi Shimizu’s Ju-on, which came out in 2002. It was remade in 2004, also with Shimizu as director, with Sarah Michelle Gellar in the lead role.

Writer Jeff Buhler (The Midnight Meat Train);
…it’s awesome. Something completely new but very much a Grudge movie. Everyone is super excited…

The new reboot will be produced by Sam Raimi along with Rob Tapert and Taka Ichise. Roy Lee, Doug Davison, Joe Drake, and Nathan Kahane executive produce.

BAN5HEE

Prominent Member
Ju Ong the original and the US remake is still pretty good and disturbing.
It's certainly made me think twice about going up into the loft.
I'd definitely watch a reboot but with two good previous movies already out not sure how they will make it fresh.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Andrea Riseborough plays a cop who finds herself involved in a case that leads her to a cursed home.

Demian Bichir, John Cho, Betty Gilpin, Lin Shaye, and Jacki Weaver co-star.

pEmc6kd.jpg
MtFSCil.jpg

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member

The Evil Dead Reboot is criminally underrated, this I'm not sold on by the cliche trailer.

Discretion

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Willing to give it a look, but not expecting anything special.

I can barely remember the SMG films now, except for them not being very good.

D

Deleted member 241106

That actually looks really good and better than the original.

D

Deleted member 241106

its gonna be dark and bloody, seems they are channelling Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead tone

There’ll definitely be a lot of blood then. This looks like a true horror, a rare thing these days.

richp007

Distinguished Member
The old fingers in the hair jobber :laugh:

Looks okay, but I'm afraid I'm the opposite. I prefer my horror without blood and gore. The original Grudge films were fuelled by being creepy and unsettling. They were very decent actually. This looks like something else masquerading as a Grudge film.

But we'll see anyway.

D

Deleted member 241106

The old fingers in the hair jobber :laugh:

I prefer my horror without blood and gore.

But we'll see anyway.

Me too, never a a fan Saw et al, but you don’t often get a mix of both gore and paranormal freakiness. It’s usually one or the other. Hopefully they do avoid the clichés. Although fingers out the head was from the original wasn’t it?

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Buzzkill - first reactions and reviews are in

The Grudge is excruciatingly boring, a narrative mess, and unnecessarily mean-spirited. The film eats itself in an effort to earn its R-rating. This movie is a curse on anyone who watches it. I haven’t disliked a film this much in years. Zero stars.
Bleak as fudge and super atmospheric. Bucks a lot of the conventions associated with studio reboots and plays more like an indie. I found this creepier than the original Japanese film and the 2004 and 2006 American films. Cast is great, especially Riseborough.
The Grudge is a generic, lazy, & hilariously stupid “horror” film. The script is terrible, the jump-scares are laughable, & the pacing is SO brutal. The cinematography is...fine? Typical January horror. Why are movies like this still being made? Happy 2020! We give it a 2/10.
The Grudge gets props for attempting to tell it’s story in a unique way, unfortunately bland scares lack of connection to the characters and uneventful plot leaves this as a dud for me.. it is better then the 2004 remake tho
Just walked out of my first movie. The Grudge starting 2020 off strong. Kayako and Toshi deserve better.

3 Jan 2020 04-52-28.jpg

3 Jan 2020 04-53-55.jpg
3 Jan 2020 04-54-32.jpg
3 Jan 2020 04-54-58.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom