The Green Mile 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Need to watch this superb movie again (really easy to do since it is one of those movies I can watch over and over and over again as it is so good... in my opinion) but Blu-ray.com and High-Def Digest both give the picture 4.5/5 and 5/5 respectively so is it really that bad? I mean 6/10 is barely above average yet the other sites are saying this is an excellent transfer!

I personally thought the Lord of the Rings movies looked great on 4K so maybe therein lies my problem...? :D
They do look great maybe people are thinking every 4K film is going to looking all the Marvel films 😄

I found LOTR Fellowship 4K way better than the Blu-ray version from reviews it is a 4K DI not an 2k upscale as for the picture not being good I’ve recently watched it on my new Sony A8 OLED and the picture is superb,maybe other peoples picture settings are not setup right? As for The Green Mile I’ll be picking it up at some point as it is one of my favourite films,yeah it may have some DNR but the 4K picture will be much better than the Blu-ray
Overall better than the blu ray but still a poor transfer with lots of DNR and Edge Enhancement! LOTR 4k blu ray was remastered in some way, but its debatable whether a new scan of the original film negatives and a 4k DI was done.

Even Warner Bros in the press release didn't mention any 4k DI. Which is strange as you would expect that for a massive 4k blu ray release if it actually did have a 4k DI. A very knowledgeable German film review site don't seem to think it got a proper 4k master -
Picsart_22-03-31_19-48-24-622.jpg

Picsart_22-03-31_20-25-18-064.jpg

The Green Mile I'll just keep the blu ray I've had for years in the mean time. But I may upgrade to the 4k blu ray once it eventually comes down in price.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the score of 6 for picture quality, it's a stunning transfer. Even Mrs Barker commented on it and she can't see shit. :rotfl:

Overall better than the blu ray but still a poor transfer with lots of DNR and Edge Enhancement! LOTR 4k blu ray was remastered in some way, but its debatable whether a new scan of the original film negatives and a 4k DI was done.

Even Warner Bros in the press release didn't mention any 4k DI. Which is strange as you would expect that for a massive 4k blu ray release if it actually did have a 4k DI. A very knowledgeable German film review site don't seem to think it got a proper 4k master -
View attachment 1676335
View attachment 1676342
The Green Mile I'll just keep the blu ray I've had for years.
I wouldn’t call it poor it’s the best the film is going to look,check out HIDEF digest their review states it is a 4K DI,so maybe someone’s wrong somewhere? Like I said I watched it on my new OLED and it looks superb,as for Green Mile reviews are all over the show,some saying it’s the best its ever looked and some saying it looks the same as Blu-ray,once I’ve watched my current 4K pile I’ll add it at some point

I don't agree with the score of 6 for picture quality, it's a stunning transfer. Even Mrs Barker commented on it and she can't see sh*t. :rotfl:
Each to their own i guess like I said maybe people have their tv picture not setup right or watching on a 1080p HD TV 😄 or even worse watching it on a Samsung 4K tv(not a fan of Samsung)

Each to their own i guess like I said maybe people have their tv picture not setup right or watching on a 1080p HD TV 😄 or even worse watching it on a Samsung 4K tv(not a fan of Samsung)
I watch on a Samsung Q90R and believe me the PQ is very decent on that set

I wouldn’t call it poor it’s the best the film is going to look,check out HIDEF digest their review states it is a 4K DI,so maybe someone’s wrong somewhere? Like I said I watched it on my new OLED and it looks superb,as for Green Mile reviews are all over the show,some saying it’s the best its ever looked and some saying it looks the same as Blu-ray,once I’ve watched my current 4K pile I’ll add it at some point
Warner Bros and Peter Jackson have never ever said it's from a 4k DI, when that happens it usually is a 2k upscale. Agree to disagree, the first two LOTR films especially would of looked a lot more filmic natural.

Without any DNR, Edge Enhancement, filtering of the CGI scenes and quite a few non CGI scenes. That Peter Jackson deliberately applied to try and make the 35mm film shot LOTR films look like the digitally shot Hobbit films.

I'll leave it at that so not to derail The Green Mile. Geoff former forum member here, and former blu ray reviewer for various sites. Has a detailed write up over on the blu ray com forums for The Green Mile 4k blu ray. He say's it's a good transfer with not a massive amount of original film grain smoothed out.

Last edited:
I watch on a Samsung Q90R and believe me the PQ is very decent on that set
I’m not doubting that just not a fan of Samsung,had one before and had loads of issues with it,plus they don’t have Dolby Vision which imo is a superior 4K picture setting than standard HDR10

I stand alone as the only person in the entire universe that doesn’t like this film at all 😂 from the casting, to the story…just don’t like it one bit.

Have at me boys 😂
You want shooting with shit😜 Only joking. If we all had the same opinions it would be a very dull world.

Love the film and looking forward to a UHD rewatch.

This and Shawshank for me, are some of King's best transferred work. Maybe as they are from shorter stories? I prefer his horror stories in books than on screen.

And this is the only book that has had me have tears rolling down my face at the end. Unfortunately I was standing on a packed train at the time! :laugh:

Only own this on DVD, so this was massive upgrade for me. I didn’t think it was the greatest 4K I have ever seen, but neither did I think DNR was conspicuous, it still looked like film, and looked good. We aren’t talking about a T2 style super smoothing here.

As for the movie, it’s basically perfect, absolutely rips me to bits every time I watch it. Flawless performances especially the late Micheal Clark Duncan, but really everyone is at their best. Despite the long run time, there is no fat to trim, every scene has a purpose. Darabont remains the master of the King adaptation.

My wife and I watched this last night and found the PQ to be just stunning. If anyone is in doubt I'd recommend trying to borrow it at least, see how it looks on your system and make up your own mind.

Just watched the first 30 mins and have to agree I've not seen many better transfers than this. So far, and I'll watch the rest later, it looks superb, watching on a 77inch Sony AG9.

I watched it Saturday night and although it's clear DNR has been applied to the image it's not excessive as there is plenty of detail on display. It is definately superior to the previous 1080p blu-ray with a cleaner, sharper image with more natural colour and the HDR really makes a difference in making it more lifelike. It's nowehere near the level of T2 in it's application of DNR. There might be a handful of scenes where the image quality isn't quite as good as you would expect but overall this is the best way to watch such a classic movie.

I know Stephen King is recognised (unfairly) as a horror writer but he does a pretty good line in prison stories too. Cracking movie, which upset my wife so much even the mention of John Coffey sets her off. Bit like Italia '90 for me.

Can I just say I never thought I'd see the upset of Italia '90 being compared to John Coffey :laugh:

Incredible film this, up there with Shawshank. Just a beautiful story with a powerful ending as well. Darabont cemented his legend with this one, and then followed it up with The Majestic and The Mist.

And who knows how much better Kingdom of the Crystal Skull might have been with his script!!

Thanks for the review Simon.
Shame about the DNR added.
I assume the U.S. release is identical to this UK release???

Wow, I’ll skip……..to think that people will only buy a new disc based on pq and sq, and therefore to see the pq is so bad, is shameful……..not dropping money on this…….terrible effort on an absolute classic.
Not sure I get what you are saying. The high majority of reviewers etc give this top marks. I own 300 UHDs and this is up there for me PQ wise. And it’s a classic. Not sure who buys discs based just on PQ and SQ alone ? And unless you’ve watched the UHD I’m not sure how you can say it’s a terrible effort 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not sure I get what you are saying. The high majority of reviewers etc give this top marks. I own 300 UHDs and this is up there for me PQ wise. And it’s a classic. Not sure who buys discs based just on PQ and SQ alone ? And unless you’ve watched the UHD I’m not sure how you can say it’s a terrible effort 🤷🏻‍♂️
Stunning transfer to me.

I too was a prior owner of this on DVD and surprisingly never got round to a BR purchase. o_O So for me this 4k HDR transfer was a very pleasant watch indeed. Have always loved this film and pretty much all of Darabont's collaborative work with King.

Watched this the other week sat about 2 meters from my 55" E6. Picture quality is utterly superb. Atmos sound is amazing too. The pop of the lightbulbs, crackle of electricity and the thunderstorms. All marvellous. The arcing effects in the execution scenes were very disturbing indeed. Horrible way to die. The scene criticised in the review where John Coffey is watching the movie presented no such issues on my setup or if they did I was unable to discern them. There was one scene where the green floor of the prison did seem a little noisy to me visually but that's all I could pass even a slightly negative comment on. Amazing film and I highly recommend this UHD release of it.

Last edited:
John Coffee
My name is John Coffey, like the drink, only spelt different 🤣

But yeah, I watched it on Sunday night, JVC NX9, Lumagen, picture quality was excellent for 99% of the film, a couple of rough looking scenes, but no way was it a 6/10 for PQ, I’d give it at least an 8.5.

I’m pretty astounded at the score for PQ to be honest. I thought it was one of the best I’ve seen in the format and an easy 9/10 for PQ Opinions I guess.
I totally agree, the picture quality was great 9/10. I watched on Panasonic Oled and Panasonic player. Goodfellas, now there is bad transfer and picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom