The Green Mile 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Nice review. This is a great film that I have loved for many years. I was really looking forward to this 4K release, but on the basis of the review, I'm glad that I didn't pre-order as it seems that the DNR had been applied too liberally. This is the same reason I've never upgraded the original LOTR trilogy, as I found out that rather than bringing out the quality of the 35mm image, Peter Jackson had decided to DNR the film to make it look like the digitally shot Hobbit trilogy! (Please correct me if I'm being here, but this was my understanding of the releases, despite AVs glowing reviews)
When one looks at the beautiful work done on the likes of Jaws or Close Encounters of the Third Kind or 2001 it is not difficult to realise that a truly stunning image can be found without too much (or even any?) DNR Tinkering.
I'm sure that the colours are quite lovely, but it looks like I'll be sticking with my Blu-rays on this one... and that's not exactly a cinephile hardship.
Keep up the good work.

Nice review. This is a great film that I have loved for many years. I was really looking forward to this 4K release, but on the basis of the review, I'm glad that I didn't pre-order as it seems that the DNR had been applied too liberally. This is the same reason I've never upgraded the original LOTR trilogy, as I found out that rather than bringing out the quality of the 35mm image, Peter Jackson had decided to DNR the film to make it look like the digitally shot Hobbit trilogy! (Please correct me if I'm being here, but this was my understanding of the releases, despite AVs glowing reviews)
When one looks at the beautiful work done on the likes of Jaws or Close Encounters of the Third Kind or 2001 it is not difficult to realise that a truly stunning image can be found without too much (or even any?) DNR Tinkering.
I'm sure that the colours are quite lovely, but it looks like I'll be sticking with my Blu-rays on this one... and that's not exactly a cinephile hardship.
Keep up the good work.
Pity some films like The Green Mile etc are hit and miss picture quality on 4k blu ray disc.

Correct Peter Jackson screwed up the LOTR 4k blu rays by applying far too much Digital Noise Reduction and Edge Enhancement! To make LOTR look visually similar to The Hobbit films.

Also LOTR 4k blu ray release is only a 2k upscale. It never actually got a 4k digital intermediate from the scan of the 35mm film negatives. I own the LOTR 4k blu ray boxset but admit it's a poor transfer, it could have looked so much better.

Thanks for the review. I've got it to watch this weekend as it is an absolutely brilliant film, Darabont and King at their best.

Shame on the transfer though, I'm glad I opted for the standard edition and not the collectors set.

I stand alone as the only person in the entire universe that doesn’t like this film at all 😂 from the casting, to the story…just don’t like it one bit.

Have at me boys 😂

I stand alone as the only person in the entire universe that doesn’t like this film at all 😂 from the casting, to the story…just don’t like it one bit.

Have at me boys 😂
No wet sponge for you... ;)

An absolutely great film and 8/10 is selling it very very short.

G

Last edited:
Need to watch this superb movie again (really easy to do since it is one of those movies I can watch over and over and over again as it is so good... in my opinion) but Blu-ray.com and High-Def Digest both give the picture 4.5/5 and 5/5 respectively so is it really that bad? I mean 6/10 is barely above average yet the other sites are saying this is an excellent transfer!

I personally thought the Lord of the Rings movies looked great on 4K so maybe therein lies my problem...? :D

I’m pretty astounded at the score for PQ to be honest. I thought it was one of the best I’ve seen in the format and an easy 9/10 for PQ Opinions I guess.

Have at me boys 😂
It's one of those films that's obviously great in so many ways, but for me personally, one (definitely memorable) viewing is enough. It's pretty harrowing and I'm not sure I'm ever going to say "Ooooh I fancy watching The Green Mile tonight". That might be the closest you get to someone agreeing with you!

On the DNR that's such a disappointment as well. 4k has done more for me on older films than newer. It's stunning to see older titles shot on film look so good. I've switched from PJ to TV recently, but watching 80's films with grain on a 4k projector on a huge screen was incredible. The detail is so high that the grain looks like it did back in the cinema with a print running through the projector. Exactly how it should be.

The Green Mile is indeed a pretty harrowing watch but it's an incredibly emotive story and brilliantly acted by all involved. As the fantasy companion to The Shawshank Redemption it's pretty much perfect IMO.

Have at me boys 😂
Not just you! I'm not bothered about it at all to be honest.

Other website have given the pic quality a much better score, quite surprised. I have this on order. Love the movie!

I think I'll skip this or wait until it's on offer on ITunes, I hate overcooked DNR :(

I’m pretty astounded at the score for PQ to be honest. I thought it was one of the best I’ve seen in the format and an easy 9/10 for PQ Opinions I guess.

Yeah so am I, even on other sites that like to nit-pick to the extreme for a hobby they seem happy with this disc, it smokes the old blu-ray.

(Geoff D put up a good review worth a read)

Thanks for the review Simon.

I'm also surprised at your low PQ score, i bought it based on other reviews and was really impressed when i watched it.

I just checked and I only have this on DVD from 1999 still, no Bluray at all, so probably about time for an upgrade for this excellent movie - and I'm sure its a visual upgrade from DVD :)

I thought that there was supposed to be a halo effect when John was watching the movie? o_O

I know Stephen King is recognised (unfairly) as a horror writer but he does a pretty good line in prison stories too. Cracking movie, which upset my wife so much even the mention of John Coffey sets her off. Bit like Italia '90 for me.

I've seen this film so many times by accident. It's one of those where you catch 10-30 mins in when skipping through the channels and end up going to bed at 1am

Thanks for the Review Simon.
I really like this Movie, but as others above have said, it is very harrowing, so not one I can watch frequently. Down the line I'll rent the 4K disc for sure, though.

Wow, I’ll skip……..to think that people will only buy a new disc based on pq and sq, and therefore to see the pq is so bad, is shameful……..not dropping money on this…….terrible effort on an absolute classic.

I found LOTR Fellowship 4K way better than the Blu-ray version from reviews it is a 4K DI not an 2k upscale as for the picture not being good I’ve recently watched it on my new Sony A8 OLED and the picture is superb,maybe other peoples picture settings are not setup right? As for The Green Mile I’ll be picking it up at some point as it is one of my favourite films,yeah it may have some DNR but the 4K picture will be much better than the Blu-ray

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom