The Green Knight (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

rpr

I should win an award for making it 30 minutes in before quitting.

Davyb100

Thanks for the review Tom, been looking forward to this one and judging by your review sounds like the sort of film that’s right up my street. Have planned for Sunday night’s viewing,

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Watched it a couple of weeks ago.. Brilliant film.... 9/10 all day.

Its not for everyone due to its uniqueness

Russ 66

Just watched it, wow, beautiful film.
The score is fantastic and it’s very well shot. I watched it projected, it’s definitely a film you want to see on the biggest screen you can. 9/10.

Last edited:

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Did not disappoint. Beautiful, wished I could have seen it in theatre; prime stream plagued with buffering issues. Will definitely get on 4K.
Loved all the performances, various scenes exquisitely done. Lowery does it again. 8/10 could go higher on rewatch.

MikeTheBike2010

I tried, I really tried to sit through this, but honestly it's a plodding film and it wasn't for me.

It's lost me at the strange walking giants(god's?) that talk to the 🦊
... I just didn't get the symbolism.
Tried to watch it having read your glowing review but gave up 20 mins in, just didn’t “get” it I’m afraid and found myself just wanting to see Excalibur again!
Mind you in desperation of somethI get else more conventional to watch hit “Miss Sloane” also on Prime and my God what an excellent intelligent film which I’d not heard of. Slow burn and you have to pay attention but ruddy marvellous!

keithwiggins

I tried, I really tried to sit through this, but honestly it's a plodding film and it wasn't for me.

It's lost me at the strange walking giants(god's?) that talk to the 🦊
... I just didn't get the symbolism.
i did actually watch it all, great acting wonderful photography etc etc as boring as ditch water, what a waste.

Russ 66

It seems a very divisive film. I have always loved films like these, it’s rare you see an English language one.

I guess It’s a bit like comedy, I can’t understand the love some people have for Mrs Brown Boys, I think it’s terrible. Obviously I don’t think everyone who hated this film is a Mrs Brown Boys fan.

I am glad they still get funding to make artistic films with real meaning which needs the audience to commit to.
I can understand though if you want some easy Saturday night blockbuster (I like these too) it won’t appeal.

I’m going to watch it again, it’s so refreshing to see a still camera with few cuts and slow tracking and zooms. I hate the “shaky cam” one million cuts style Hollywood uses to try and give movement and drama where quite often there is none.

keithwiggins

It seems a very divisive film. I have always loved films like these, it’s rare you see an English language one.

I guess It’s a bit like comedy, I can’t understand the love some people have for Mrs Brown Boys, I think it’s terrible. Obviously I don’t think everyone who hated this film is a Mrs Brown Boys fan.

I am glad they still get funding to make artistic films with real meaning which needs the audience to commit to.
I can understand though if you want some easy Saturday night blockbuster (I like these too) it won’t appeal.

I’m going to watch it again, it’s so refreshing to see a still camera with few cuts and slow tracking and zooms. I hate the “shaky cam” one million cuts style Hollywood uses to try and give movement and drama where quite often there is none.
im with you, hate browns boys as well, simply not my form of humour.

La Finta Nonna

Sadly time to dish out a spoiler alert for all of the people who prefer action in their movies this is not for you. This is for those who like a chin stroking movie like Tom Davies and get excited by plodding plot lines and tiresome symbolism.
This is a reminder that if you want to see a film about Arthurian legends then you must see Monty Python and the Holy Grail where else would you find Castle Anthrax and Frenchmen offering to fart in your general direction

richp007

Distinguished Member
Did not disappoint. Beautiful, wished I could have seen it in theatre; prime stream plagued with buffering issues. Will definitely get on 4K.
Loved all the performances, various scenes exquisitely done. Lowery does it again. 8/10 could go higher on rewatch.

Isn't it in 4K HDR on Prime anyway? It bloody better be.

Sadly time to dish out a spoiler alert for all of the people who prefer action in their movies this is not for you. This is for those who like a chin stroking movie like Tom Davies and get excited by plodding plot lines and tiresome symbolism.
This is a reminder that if you want to see a film about Arthurian legends then you must see Monty Python and the Holy Grail where else would you find Castle Anthrax and Frenchmen offering to fart in your general direction

Yes, Tom Davies, AVF's principle chin stroker :laugh:

I may also partake in the odd bit of chin stroking to be honest. Films don't always need the Michael Bay effect. I'm surprised you didn't mention Transformers: The Last Knight at the end there :D

Russ 66

This is not for everyone and it does need the audience to think unlike Fast and Furious films where they definitely don’t want the audience to think.
Got to admit I love a bit of chin stroking, but I didn’t think it was plodding at all.
If you want to see a plodding film, totally washed out looking, bleak, boring and the highlight is someone defecating in a bucket, watch Nomadland.

Forgot to add if you really want to watch a bonkers arty medieval style film I can highly recommend a Russian film called Hard to Be a God.

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
90 mins through but called time to have a bath lol.

I was multi tasking most of the way through it too. So just didn’t click with it.

Snake79

I got to the half-way point in the film and had to turn it off. Not because I didn't like it, but because the pacing was so slow I decided to split it over a couple of nights.

It is visually appealing and the soundtrack is quite unique but so little has happened. My guess is the film will come good in the second half, there are a lot of high marks that have been given by the press and critics that it surely can't be all style and no substance.

richard-wong

Slow, laboured, pompous come to mind when watching this film.

Some wrote the use of music and colour was effective. I would argue it is rather over stressed and over used to a point that it irritates when ever any kind of music kicks in or any sort of monochromatic scene starts to appear.

Acting whilst adequate, not entirely sure if each actor was acting to a single script. A bit incoherent at time.

As per review, the beginning scheme is great and grips you. But once he rides out of the gate, things start to get pretty incoherent.

Looks like a marmite of a film. It’s a 3 for me unfortunately.

Tim2049

Lived up to my expectations thank god, I'd been so excited to watch this. Wasn't without its flaws and a couple of sections were a little too...sedate. However, thank god films like this are being made!

Truly 'artistic' and such a refreshing change. I don't even think I blinked for the first twenty minutes, I was so taken with the mood of it and how beautifully unorthodox it was. The first act felt like Bergman's The Seventh Seal to me.

I'll be buying this on 4k blu ray asap. As nice as the image looked on Amazon, there were so many low lit scenes that would benefit from better compression, it's going to look significantly better on disc i reckon.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for hating this film, but I think such unique, distinctive endeavours should be supported as much as possible.

wwwebber

Very slow which I can handle but its also quite confusing - the fox and the giants did not add to the story or explain their relevance in any way.

It didn't help that the end was totally different from the story / poem that its based upon.

Last edited:

wwwebber

One of Kermode’s films of the year. Take that as you will.

I normally follow his recommendations and they are generally pretty good but opinions will differ and I didn't like this film. However, he is not me and he is not you so no need for the negativity.

wwwebber

I studied Sir Gawain and the Green Knight as part of a course I did several years ago in Arthurian mythology.

Anyway, I loved the story, and the film version here really sounds like it could not be more my cup of tea if it tried. So much so, in fact, I'm going to hold out for the 4K disc for now.

If you're hoping for a faithful adaption then you will be disappointed. Watch it now - it might save you some pennies.

Kotatsu Neko

Any film this divisive has got to be worth a watch, and it's free so the only cost is my time.

We need more movies which aren't afraid to alienate people. Be brave, dare to be different. Better to make something which 50% of people love and the other half hate than to make something which everyone thinks it's just more of the same.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021