Quantcast

The Green Berets Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Alan Paterson, 20th January 2010
Amid rocket launchers, machine gun fire and explosions, John Wayne’s ‘The Green Berets’ hacks its way on to Region free Blu-ray with a generally very good 1080p VC-1 transfer, framed in the widescreen 2.40:1 aspect ratio. Well rendered skin tones, jungle greens and deep blacks greet our eyes in an overall sharp image although there are some focus issues in some night shots.The sound is of a Dolby TrueHD mono flavour, which may not please the surround pundits, but it’s faithful to how it sounded on its 1968 release.We get a short featurette and theatrical trailer as extras, but nothing more.As a movie, it’s really a piece of clunky propaganda that is of its time. The story concerning a team of commandos as they battle the Vietcong uses up every war movie cliché in the scriptwriter’s handbook. One for the case hardened John Wayne fans.

Read the full review...

Alan Paterson

It's always nice to see other people putting forward their opinions, but it would help tremendously if they would qualiify their statements with examples or reasons that back them up. That way, others may be able to understand their point of view better.:)
Alan

Garrett

From you review

I believe it was Maureen O’Hara (who’d been Wayne’s leading lady in many films) who, after the star’s death, got together a petition to arrange for a statue with a plaque that read simply ‘John Wayne – American’.

From Wiki
John Wayne did not illegally "dodge" the draft, but he never took direct positive action toward enlistment.

Ironic then he stared in so many war films as a war hero. Yet James Stuart who I never took to be all the of a toughguy but of a more sensative charater went out of his way to join the war effort.

John Wayne was very right wing and this was his way of backing the war in Veitnam.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind in the film is the relationship between Peterson and the young Veitnames boy, and thought it quite touching.

Oh and Alan

Fighting soldiers from the sky
Fearless men who jump and die
Men who mean just what they say
The brave men of the Green Beret

Silver wings upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men we'll test today
But only three win the Green Beret

etc:rotfl:

Alan Paterson

Oh no!
Can't believe you memorised the lyrics.:D

James Stewart was a favourite of mine too.
Anyone with an imaginary giant rabbit as a friend can't be all bad.

Alan