The greatest sporting moments you've seen....

Lezman

That you've seen in person or caught when they were live on TV...

I'm only 26 but have been privileged to see;

Day 4 at Edgbaston during the 2005 Ashes. My dad's birthday and I managed to get tickets for us.

Michael Johnson running the 200m final in Atlanta in '96 (TV).

Jonny kicking that drop goal against Australia in 2003 (TV).

Michael Jordan pulling up with the NBA championship winner with 4 seconds to spare in 1998 (TV).

England beating Holland 4-1 in Euro '96 (TV).

England beating Germany 5-1 (TV).

Steve Redgrave and Matthew Pinsent winning the gold in 2000.

What you got?

Regards,

lucas22

Novice Member
Iam not saying it was a good thing,but watching micheal schumacher hit the tire wall doing 200kph when i was at silverstone 1999 was something to remember.

Lee

The Headingly test match against Australia in 1981 when Ian Botham destroyed the Australians. Then the following matches.

As a single moment, Ian Botham hooking Dennis Lillie into the crowd while seemingly not looking during the Headingly match.

Lezman

The Headingly test match against Australia in 1981 when Ian Botham destroyed the Australians. Then the following matches.

As a single moment, Ian Botham hooking Dennis Lillie into the crowd while seemingly not looking during the Headingly match.

I wish I could have been around to see that series!

IAN P

Novice Member
Newcastle v Barcelona-champions league-tv

Wigan v Melbourne-club challenge,i think?-tv

England v Australia-rugby world cup final-tv

England v Germany 5-1-tv

Loads more,must make a list.

thfccambs

Banned
Best moments I've seen Live, :clap: Gazza'a free kick in the 91 semi final against Gooners was great but the best would be Linekers hat trick in 86 WC in Mexico against Poland,:clap: also a mention for our 5-1 slaughtering of Ar5ena1 in the CC semi. :D Was at them all.
Best on TV would be England beating Germany 5-1, was usher at my mates wedding that day and gutted i didn't go.:eek:

Worst i've seen live Turin Delle Alpi stadium , England losing to Germany on penalties 1990 WC Semi. :mad: After beating Camaroon in Naples thought the Cup was ours.

Seen a lot of Boxing live also. Hatton v Mayweather was a great experince Las Vegas, Bugner V Bruno was good at WHL.
Benn v Eubanks @ Old Trafford was probably best figh i've seen live though. Benn retained his title.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Best live event .....

got to be England 2 Greece 2 at Old Trafford when we qualified for the World Cup .... strange really as not a good performance from the team but we were dragged through the game by a brilliant Beckham performance and of course, that last minute free kick.

And as I'm a City fan, not many live events to write home about :( but the last minute 2 goal comeback against Gillingham at Wembley will be hard to beat for sheer excitement.

Sicknote10

Novice Member
Best ones seen in person that I can remember...
Ali Brown's 203 in a one day match at Guildford
Tottenham slaughtering (yes CFC1 :D ) Chelsea in the CC final this year

Ones I've seen on tv live...
The whole of the Ashes in '05, great summer!
Also the 4-1 against Holland in Euro '96, my favourite tournament
Hakkinen passing Schumacher at Spa when they went either side of Zonta

Iam not saying it was a good thing,but watching micheal schumacher hit the tire wall doing 200kph when i was at silverstone 1999 was something to remember.

I was there too, most people seemed to be cheering :rolleyes:

BName

Banned
Seeing Villa beat manu in the coca cola cup was good to can't remember the year though early 90s i think.

overkill

Distinguished Member
Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 1989. My favourite game of all time, and the one that ended the tightest and most dramatic title race ever. Couldn't get a ticket, so I had to watch it at home, but who cares!?

Tottenham 0 Arsenal 5 1979. Great game (for us) fantastic goal by Brady.

Tottenham 1 Arsenal 2 1987 FLC S/F replay. The game that turned it all around, and largely reversed the two clubs fortunes since.

Germany 1 England 5 Who can forget such a magic moment!

Leeds 0 Sunderland 1 FA cup final 1973. Sheer heaven.............

England 4 Holland 1 EC 1996 Probably the best England performance since.......

..........England 3 France 1 WC 1982 The best tournament England performance I've seen.

Botham's awesome one man show against the Aussies. Somehow, it doesn't get any better than that. In cricket terms.

1980 Borg beating McEnroe
1981 McEnroe beating Borg The first game, the last gasp of a great champion in an awesome final, the second, the passing of the Torch.

England winning the Rugby WC final. Never mind the final kick. If they hadn't been in that position through great teamwork, it wouldn't have been down to that kick.

The 1975 & 1976 five nations. Won by an all conquering Welsh side that was arguably the best Rugby Union team these islands have ever produced.

ark383

Live event for me would be Southend Utd 1 Man Utd 0. What a night to remember!! So glad that Flahavan was equal to anything goal bound and that Ronaldo kept putting over those freekicks!!!

thfccambs

Banned
Tottenham 0 Arsenal 5 1979. Great game (for us) fantastic goal by Brady.

Neil,
Was that @ WHL? I remember get stuffed 5-0 @ the library(78) and beating you 5-0 at WHL (83) but can't remember you beating us by 5-0 @ WHL. :confused: Maybe 4-5.:rotfl: What a game that was.

Tottenham 1 Arsenal 2 1987 FLC S/F replay.
Was you there Neil? They was giving out ticket details for the final to Spurs supporters when Allison (i think) and Rocastle scored the very, very late winners.:mad:

Surpriced your 1-0 @ Wembley 92 isn't there mate? :(

EDIT, your right mate it was @ WHL, MUST BE GETTING OLD.

Division 1 23-Dec-78 42,273 home defeat 0 - 5

overkill

Distinguished Member
Neil,
Was that @ WHL? I remember get stuffed 5-0 @ the library(78) and beating you 5-0 at WHL but can't remember you beating us by 5-0 @ WHL.:confused: Maybe 4-5.:rotfl: What a game that was.

Was you there Neil? They was giving out ticket details for the final to Spurs supporters when Allison (i think) and Rocastle scored the very, very late winners.:mad:

Surpriced your 1-0 @ Wembley 92 isn't there mate? :(

EDIT, your right mate it was @ WHL

Division 1 23-Dec-78 42,273 home defeat 0 - 5
Yup. 5-0 at Spurs, then we won 1-0 at Highbury. That night was a little err', 'tense' as well. Can't think why..... :D 'We won 5-0 at the lane' was the fave chant at Highbury right up until 1983 when Spurs won 5-0 at WHL themselves. :( For some reason that brought it to an end.;)

Sorry missed the edit.............. :D

I was there for all three games Jeff. Actually, the ticket information was announced at WHL in the second game with Spurs leading 2-0 on agg. It was that moment that turned the whole tie around as the Arsenal lads heard it in the dressing room. Adams said they were so annoyed than even Viv Anderson (who was pretty mild mannered) went to kick a bench! They came out in the 2nd half like lions, and should have won it on the night.

That 3rd game was weird, it lacked the passion of the 1st two games, and Spurs were 1-0 up again. Then of course, 'Ian the useless' came up with a goal and Rocky sneaked in the winner. By which time we were all delirious!

1993? Nah. Awful game. The 2001 S/F was much better, and as a result more satisfying. Funny, you went 1-0 up in that one as well! :D

Still, this is digressing! :oops:

BName

Banned
Going to the 1990 british f1 gp was great pitty Mansell retired from the race though. I got to see all the great drivers of that time race though.

Hitby

Boro being 3-0 against Steaua in the UEFA cup and coming back to win 4-3. Best game I've been to in my life!

Theres only ONE that matters

1999 Champs League Final

MAN UTD 2 -Bayern Munich 1

2 Goals in injury time for the ONE AND ONLY TREBLE

Teddy and Ole goal scorers

NO SPORTING OCCASION WILL EVER TOP IT

for Drama, agony and ecstacy

thfccambs

Banned
Theres only ONE that matters

1999 Champs League Final

MAN UTD 2 -Bayern Munich 1

2 Goals in injury time for the ONE AND ONLY TREBLE

Teddy and Ole goal scorers

NO SPORTING OCCASION WILL EVER TOP IT

for Drama, agony and ecstacy
;)

Might as well close this thread now then as spacecat thinks that was the only
worth while sporting event ever. :boring: Sure all non football people loved it , along with anyone who doesn't support manc UTD.:D

Also think it was the last game for England to win Ashes? Needed to get Lee out, do like cricket but
that was just unbelivable to watch. So edge of the seat stuff.

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
1979 FA Cup Final - Alan Sunderland brought tears to my 7 year old face

Barcelona Olympics 92 - Saw Linford Christie win his gold

Too many to mention on TV, but they don't really count do they.

thfccambs

Banned
1979 FA Cup Final - Alan Sunderland brought tears to my 7 year old face
Probably the 1st FA cup final i can remember watching. :)

Also as a young lad i'll never forget the WC final in Argie land, Holland V Argentina, WOW you couldn't even see the green grass for white paper.:thumbsup: Also what a game of football, 9 at the time.:rolleyes:

This thread's brought back great sporting memories. :) Might even bring back memories of late 80's early 90's,;) you know the score, far to much raving.:rolleyes:

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
You were a clubber Hunts :eek:

thfccambs

Banned
You were a clubber Hunts :eek:
Many a Friday night in Sheffield, Manchester ,Leeds before of to Football on a Saturday, Ecstasy was what brought football violence to a halt in late 80's and 90's. To much love floating around. :rotfl:

:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett