1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Greatest American DVD Boxset. +Update

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,478
    Well ‘The Greatest American Hero.’

I’v waited ages for this box set. This is a series that was shown back in the 80’s rather sporadically over the regions and was never given the opportunity to be a big hit here as it was in the states.
    The series without spoiling it too much is about a school teacher who is given a suit that gives him super powers.

His exploits are what you and I would do in the same situation he really is an everyday guy.

The stories are exciting and great fun although it is not played for comedy but from the interaction between the characters and the heroes never fully getting the hang of his powers.
    The cast is great form the hero Ralph Hinckley played by William Kat, to the lovely girlfriend Connie Seilecca and the FBI agent who ropes him into scrapes, the ever brilliant Robert Culp.

Anbody who has a love for super heroes I would recommend this series every episode you will come away with a smile after 50 minutes of pure enjoyment.

The series more or les came from the same stable as The Rockford Files. and what he was to private eyes, Ralph s to super – heros.

The first 2 seasons boxsets are out. The first having the full length pilot and a pilot for a spin off series The Greatest American Heroine (no not drugs). 7 other episodes and a 75 minute interview with the main actors and Stephen J Cannell.
    Running time 417 minuts in total.

The second box set having the second series of 22 episodes and more interviews.
    Running time 1085.

Both can be imported for around £13 and £18 respectively. With the third series out shortly.

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
  3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,478
    Though it might be It was not out when I sent for the other 2 but that was just over 2 weeks ago and it was expected in shortly.
    Season 3 here I come. :clap:

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,478
    As they say in the title theme I got the full 3 season box set cheaper than I could have got season 3 on its own.

As I had season 1 and 2 I jumped in to season 3 and the very first episode I though oh no my taste have changed as I though the first episode was very lame and re introduced some of Ralph's old friend which part was very cringe worth.
    Happily the next episode got better and there is a lot of very enjoyable episodes, although I though they were running out of ideas towards the end of the season and ended one Robert Culp wrote and found it a bit out of place with the rest of the series.
    I though the best part of the series was in the interplay between the actors rather than the action stuff.
    Some of the story ended to me like a lot of Smallville where loose ends were not tied up or explained. For example
    on one story a neo Nazi party learn of the suit, in an other a rouge agency learn about it with loads of people seeing what it does yet were supposed to believe when such a large number of people are arrested and mention it this time such a huge number are not believed.
    Watching a disc I have from the first box Steven Cannel and the rest of the cast were all wanting to push it towards the human element and the writers to monsters and the fantastic. The writers were wrong and were the weakest episodes.
    All the cast are perfect and could hardy be better cast, Connie Seilecca was originally only going to be in the pilot but was so good Steven Cannel offered the role permanently (I belive she won an award for the role), and not long after the shoe started filming she found she was pregnant and asked an appointment to see Steven and he said he was busy and she persisted and so he gave time and when she told him she would soon be showing a bump and have to find a replacement, he said something like don't worry we film round it now get out I'm busy:D

Connie and William Katt got on very well bt there was a bit of friction between and William and Robert Culp but after a pow wow became very respectful of each other.
    I was thought by some interviewed it was ripe for a film alas nothing came of it.

I found it a bit sad watching the interviews knowing 2 of them had passed away and how much talent had gone.

Bu the way the 3 season box set does not included 6 interviews or the The Greatest American Heroine which are on the stand alone.

I recommend anyone to put there 80s head on and watch the pilot at least if you never seen the series.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012