• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Great Wall

MartinH32

Prominent Member
Just picked this up and watched last night. Both picture and audio are absolutely sublime on my projector. Really does make use of bass extention and Atmos channels! The movie though is pretty generic. A good watch, very good demo material!

Thug

I agree, watched it Monday night on my projector (Epson 9300) and also thought the picture was superb.
The sound is possibly the best I have heard so far and one of the main ones that have shown me what Atmos is all about. Like at the end when they are walking through the tunnel and the monsters are picking them off from above.

Last edited:

MartinH32

Prominent Member
I agree, watched it Monday night on my projector (Epson 9300) and also thought the picture was superb.
The sound is possibly the best I have heard so far and one of the main ones that have shown me what Atmos is all about. Like at the end when they are walking through the tunnel and the monsters are picking them off from above.
Yes I've got the 9300, it's a stonking projector!

Dellboy

Established Member
I watched the film at my friends place who has a JVC Z1 and a 12' screen and it was the bees knees.

Reference material in both picture and sound quality.

Simon F

Distinguished Member
The colours on the different uniforms are incredible. Rich, deep and vivid. Albeit not 100% necessary or in keeping with the film IMO. Good example of how WCG can be used though.

Simon F

Distinguished Member
Is it a decent film?
It's an easy watching film. I quite liked Matt Damon in it, played his part convincingly.

Maybe a midweek filler film.

Thug

Absolutely terrible film, hated everything about it tbh but i can see why some people thought it was ok .
Everything?
Like the colours? The quality of the picture? the sound?
That's either a shame, or you forgot to switch your player on ;)

I can understand why some may not have enjoyed the film, but I personally like OTT films and not true to life films that I can just watch and not have to think too hard about.

lukather101

Prominent Member
Everything?
Like the colours? The quality of the picture? the sound?
That's either a shame, or you forgot to switch your player on ;)

I can understand why some may not have enjoyed the film, but I personally like OTT films and not true to life films that I can just watch and not have to think too hard about.
Sorry picture quality was great just didn't rate the film.

sraper

Prominent Member
Hmm Watched this last night.

Ought to have been the sort of film I would normally like but somehow it was "dull".

There were some great scenes and I loved the drumming! Always had a thing for big drums but the film was just dull! Didn't really get attached to any of the characters.

Probably will keep it for the Atmos audio track.

Craigy

Distinguished Member
Dear god this was awful, thought Matt Damon would be watchable but even he gives up trying to act in this around half way, he loses the accent he had at the beginning of the film and just is Matt Damon doing an extended Jimmy Kimmel sketch.

Yes the picture was nice but the film was really awful.

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
Ok so this is a really weird question.

I’m just about to watch this movie again, was sent out on release from Amazon.

When taking it out the cardboard sleeve I noticed as with most discs it says at the top includes 4k blu ray and digital.

On the back it mentions what’s on disc 1 and what’s on disc 2 etc.

However.......

When you open the movie up there’s only one disc inside and the digital code.

There’s not even a space for the other disc - I mean the small circular thing that holds the disc. There is only one for one disc.

I just don’t get.

Then when I just went on to Amazon to check under the description it’s just says 4k + digital even though it has the picture showing all three matching the card board sleeve.

Did anyone else order this from amazon by chance and it arrive the same?

Doesn’t matter too much as I usually give the blu rays to my mum anyway but I’ve just never known a 4k disc to come without the blu.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
My The Great Wall from Zoom has 2 discs, the second of which is on a flipable tray.
Odd for there to be two different UK releases (if you're talking amazon UK).
Have you got the mounting points for the tray on the inside spine?

Amazon UK twice shows 2 discs for the release (2 disc version and number of disc: 2) as well as the cover photo. Perhaps your tray is missing...

Last edited:

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
My The Great Wall from Zoom has 2 discs, the second of which is on a flipable tray.
Odd for there to be two different UK releases (if you're talking amazon UK).
Have you got the mounting points for the tray on the inside spine?

That’s the little circular thing I was meaning.

It has one on the back part for the 4k disc. But not the other one.

IMG_1506802826.383229.jpg

IMG_1506802875.159760.jpg

And sorry. Should have made it clear yes I do mean amazon UK.

Very odd!?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
You appear to have the tray mount point on your case spine (two small stick out prongs which the tray clicks into, one pair at the top and the other at the bottom). As I noted above, it seems like your tray holding the 2nd disc is missing. As you will now be well past the 30 day return period you may be stuffed getting this sorted now.

tray-mount-point.jpg

Last edited:

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
You appear to have the tray mount point on your case spine (two small stick out prongs which the tray clicks into). As I noted above, it seems like your tray holding the 2nd disc is missing

View attachment 918087

Oooh great spot!

So maybe it was Faulty from the production line.

I didn’t think the tray - most of my discs have the disc attached to each side of the case.

Anton2015

Distinguished Member

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Oooh great spot!

So maybe it was Faulty from the production line.

I didn’t think the tray - most of my discs have the disc attached to each side of the case.
If it was sealed case, yes a production fault as they forgot to click your tray in. You've got the rare Friday afternoon one...

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
If it was sealed case, yes a production fault as they forgot to click your tray in. You've got the rare Friday afternoon one...

Ha we’ve all had those moments on a Friday :)

I don’t really mind as these things happen.

But it did have me stumped ha.

Thanks to all for checking :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom