The Great Wall Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

only1hammy

Thanks for the review.

Typo in the first paragraph: "The story is deceptively simple; two mercenaries traveling the East to procure (by any means) ‘Black XXXXX’". Also, later, "amours" instead of (presumably) armours.

I did a Twitter review of this movie a few weeks ago which pretty much summed up my thoughts: "Irish" Legolas battles wall climbing aliens, saves Chinese nation.

Last edited:

LicensedTaximan

This is just the sort of mind numbing bonkers sillyness and crud that will look and sound great on standard BD. Just up my street then, lots of monsters and other special effects. :clap:

vaktmestern

Banned
Didnt find the picture quality good :cool: just a Average Uhd Bluray

nenito2k

@vaktmestern

10/10 for PQ and you were not impressed...humm what is the Rerefence UHD for you then?

jayjaymacca

Watched this yesterday and weren't expecting much, but was surprised how much I enjoyed it. PQ one of the best I've seen on UHD and SQ was also impressive. Film isn't Damon's finest performance(Don't get why the accent was nessecary) but it's mindless action and adventure that looks great so as long as that's what your looking for can't see how you'd end up disappointed.

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
Watched this tonight and I actually enjoyed it, surprised it's been slated so badly because it's quite entertaining. This is the type of film that if made 30 years ago people would still regard as a good fantasy action film and defend it should anyone say anything bad about it.

It was quick to get going and remained fast paced and lean, some great set pieces, visually stunning and the Atmos track is one of the best I've heard.

Adam608

Novice Member
Hi All

Bought myself a Samsung UBD-M9500 a couple of weeks ago and loaded this film up at the weekend on 4K UltraHD bluray.

I have to say the vibration and hum from the spinning of the disc in my M9500 was so loud that I aborted watching the film after a couple of mins and watched another film instead.

Yesterday I took both the film and UBD-M9500 back to the shop I bought them from and strangely enough the film seemed to make a Samsung UBD-K8500, a Panasonic UB700 and a Sony X800 player all do the same vibration hum in the shop, albeit the Samsung's were the noisiest / worst.

So off I trotted to HMV to return the disc as faulty, which they very kindly did without quibble. However on getting home last night the new disc does exactly the same.

This is the only one of the 4 UltraHD blurays I now have that does this, leaving me to conclude there is a problem with the film layout on the disc, but maybe its a faulty batch supplied to HMV?

Has anybody else experienced similar with this film or others on a Samsung UBD-M9500?

Last edited:

GoingGoingGone

Distinguished Member
Hi All

Bought myself a Samsung UBD-M9500 a couple of weeks ago and loaded this film up at the weekend on 4K UltraHD bluray.

I have to say the vibration and hum from the spinning of the disc in my M9500 was so loud that I aborted watching the film after a couple of mins and watched another film instead.

Yesterday I took both the film and UBD-M9500 back to the shop I bought them from and strangely enough the film seemed to make a Samsung UBD-K8500, a Panasonic UB700 and a Sony X800 player all do the same vibration hum in the shop, albeit the Samsung's were the noisiest / worst.

So off I trotted to HMV to return the disc as faulty, which they very kindly did without quibble. However on getting home last night the new disc does exactly the same.

This is the only one of the 4 UltraHD blurays I now have that does this, leaving me to conclude there is a problem with the film layout on the disc, but maybe its a faulty batch supplied to HMV?

Has anybody else experienced similar with this film or others on a Samsung UBD-M9500?
If I remember correctly it's a BD100 disc which can be a bit noisier than the more common BD66 UHDs at start. But no problems with this UHD on my UB700 which sits on a damping layer to stop possible vibration hum.

Edit: On checking my copy of this it's a BD66 so something else is involved. Could be the hole is slightly off centre or the disc is warped.

Last edited:

Thug

No issues at all on mine.
Either that I have the volume too loud to notice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom