1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The great Sky+ rip-off to existing customers

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Colony, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Colony

Colony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw a couple of dead threads about this so apologies if I am covering new ground....I'm new!

I'm really pee'd off with Sky's treatment of loyal customers. I have been with Sky on the top package for 5 years and really want Sky+.

I totally begrudge paying more than a new customer would, and have absolutely no use for mutiroom whatsoever. So I would like to know - have I missed the boat on the refurb offer previously posted? has any existing Sky customer been offered a good Sky+ deal recently?

Was thinking about cancelling sky and resubscribing in a couple of months - has anyone done this and came across any pitfalls I should look out for?

Cheers.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    But you won't be treated as a new customer in that event.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I would have thought that after about 4 months Sky would miss your money and offer you a good deal.

I think you have to be tough and negotiate and/or threaten to move to cable.

4. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There is a big thread on this. Without wish to re-start the debate here, you phone them up and tell them you want to cancel if they don't give you a better deal. Many of us have got sky+ for £49. Tell them your friend did and you will cancel if they cant match it. By the way, you only have one TV in the house so don't need multi-room.

L:eek:ok fo the uther thread.

5. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ring them up for the refurb offer - threaten to cancel - see what they say - I called them only last Friday and got it.....

6. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    or do what I did: just buy a Sky+ box from a retailer. £99 for the standard 40GB box inc. 4-way LNB, a few metres of cable and a couple of plugs (another £10 tops).

I then added a 120GB hard drive from dabs to triple it's capacity.

Ring up Sky, tell them you've got a plus box, all done over the phone in 2 mins flat.

OK not as cheap as some of the sky offers for new subscribers but much less aggro.

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I've been with Sky digital for just over 5 years, before that with analog since 92.

As I'm thinking of cancelling I'm going to have a laugh and see what's the best deal they can do before they lose my custom as I feel totally let down by the way they treat existing customers..

8. dacor

dacor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the refurb deal ordered up yesterday, no probs £49 without multiroom being instaled monday :thumbsup:

9. Colony

Colony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, has already read the other long thread just wanted to know if the refurb deal was still going.

I also read another thread about "mixes" and how to save money

i'm going to call these buggers up tomorrow and see what I can get. Was giving serious thought to cancelling anyway so what have I got to lose?!

10. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Reading this and the mixes thread makes me think Sky are in for a bit of a bashing from members of this forum :devil: :devil:

11. speedy gonzalez

speedy gonzalez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What retailer did you go to mh123? Cheapest I've seen it is about £170.

12. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a new Pace 2 Sky+ box a couple of weeks ago from www.simplydigital.co.uk for £159 (£169 if you require the Quad LNB as well). I rang up in the morning as I wanted to check availability and it was there next morning by Parcel Force, £3.95 P. & P. I researched extensively on the internet for prices for the latest Pace Sky+ and this was the best deal I could find. mh123 must be referring to the standard Sky box.

A few years ago I had a faulty Sky+ box and had four refurb boxes in a few months; so for those buying the refurb deal be prepared to buy a new box in the near future. However at £49 that's a cheap way to get Sky+ installed!

13. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    Just called up, £49 box on it's way next Thursday........(ps. I don't have a landline to plug it in to but seeing as she didn't ask for a home number, they can't check up on me).

14. dacor

dacor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe so but if they are installing it, the installer will have to connect to line.

hope it works out for you ok.

15. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    In my previous experience the Sky Insatllers are most subcontractors who couldn't give a monkeys & will take cash backhanders for anything...

16. dacor

dacor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quite true, I just love the ones that will give you the gear and leave you to it, i hate people messing with me stuff.

still, there are some that are by the book shall we say and get on my nerves.

17. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    When I got my Sky Mouse/Eye thing (before they were available in the shops), I paid £80 over the phone. The guy turned up, called into the office, cancelled the job saying he couldn't do it, got me a refund & did it for £50 cash....

Worse case scenario I'll tell him BT are coming the next day to activate me, he ain't gonna hang around to find out......

fingers crossed :thumbsup:

18. Sluggster

Sluggster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    My friend cancelled his Sky subs and then got his wife to sign on and she got the deal they were after.

Regards,

Sluggster

19. Colony

Colony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers sluggster, do you know how long your mate waited to re-connect?

(just in case my "cancellation" doesn't work!!)

20. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You'll get a letter from Sky before the installation, which tells you that the installer will refuse to install the box if you do not have a working telephone line.

21. Sluggster

Sluggster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sorry Colony, I don't. But I don't think it took any longer than normal.

Regards,

Sluggster

22. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My Sky+ installers come in an hour (or so!) ... trying to think of a tactic to get a Pacev2 (if they have one in their van).........slip 'em a few pound notes?......endless cups of tea?......bacon sandwich....?!

23. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just tell them youve seen them on crime watch

24. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Okay - they are outside and the box in the flat reads PACE 3000 - is that the v2 one I am after?!

25. rocallag

rocallag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing, I ended up cancelling after being with sky for years. I phoned and phoned (fed up with that menu system), swapped emails with the e-care team who promised it to me and yet no one would let me have it. In the end I just gave up and cancelled! It ran out about a month ago. With the school holidays and people around we havent had time to replace it and have been happy with the standard 'free' channels.

So we are now looking at freeview systems as in earnest as the TV gave up the ghost last night! We had planned to upgrade to a bigger size over the next few months anyway, maybe a plasma or lcd if the OH will cave in. Seems to be some good deals around and a lot of boxes come with free freeview systems or have one built in. If I think about how much a sky+ with subs cost and that bl**dy multiroom costs, it goes a long way towards a new TV (or plasma!) and a nice freeview decoder with HD. So if sky had given me the deal freeview wouldn't have been part of my shopping list and they would proberly had my subs for a good few years to come. Can't see how sky can maintain treating existing customers this way without losing a lot more.

Rob (ex-sky customer).

26. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Small independent TV shop somewhere just outside Macclesfield - can't remember the name of it unfortunately - £99 and it was security sealed and everything. Threw in a quad lnb for free, though I must admit I did replace this after a few weeks with a decent one due to poor sq.

27. coopermanyorks

coopermanyorks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

ANYTHING ??? :D

28. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Not quite....I did try ;-)

29. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had my Sky+ fitted today. He ran the cable halfway round the house at knee height just cleated on, not even in a straight line. Also the old LMB and empty cable drum just left in the front garden....nice job!!

30. Teegee

Teegee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like everyone else I to was a little upset to be told it would cost me £269 for Sky+ as an existing customer. You can have multiroom at £99.00 + £10.00/month if you have the enhanced package. Some use that is with only one TV in the house (yes sure).

So I asked the question can someone else living at this address register as a new customer :lease: , guess what the answer was. Correct NO :thumbsdow . Here is part of their reply.

As you are an existing subscriber, your household cannot benefit from a further subsidised offer. The terms and conditions of the digital contract are that, offers are limited to one per household. The offer is not open to anyone who has previously signed an Interactive Discount Contract and/or whose household has previously benefited from one.

It seems rather harsh to me, what are the opinions of others, can they really do this?

As a matter of principal I told them I did not want Sky anymore and cancelled, unfortuneately I did not get the offer of the re-con Sky+ :oops:

Cheers